1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer/Miniatures Gaming Redux

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Curran, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Ahhhhh Art, How we can escape life to thee
    Here we are with Episode 10....I gota start video processing on a saturday BLEH!

2. Eradose

Eradose Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Spent most of the day painting some of the monsters in my 1st edition Caverns of Roxor set. Was working with the ones that use fire effects, which stained my fingers with shading ink. Hopefully I can finish them later this week (since I only have a few details left to paint of four or five of them).

I've also been looking into painting techniques for ice effects. Almost every tutorial on the subject is for MAKING clear ice effects, not painting existing ones on resin or metal miniatures. Kind of need a tutorial for an upcoming custom project for a cryomancer, as well as needing to know if I need to buy more shading ink (since I only have crimson and orange for fire effects).

Here's the basic idea...
    [​IMG]
    I'm taking this miniature (which I'm still waiting for it to ship), cutting and sculpting the sword to look like it's made out of ice, alter the outfit to look like a dress and jacket, cut the horns and replace them with cat ears, give her a tail, and maybe a little Russian hat, as well as change the hair a bit.

Some of you might know the character I'm trying to make, but if you don't, you'll find out soon enough.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Got any pics?

Also for ice effects to paint on Mini-wargaming did some nice ones for Warmachine battle axe's, you could look them up, thing Games-Workshop did one for weapons that are paint on also.

4. Eradose

Home Page:
    They're not done, but here they are.
    IMG_0450.JPG
    It's worth noting that most of these miniatures were resculpted for the recent 1.5 edition re-release of the set.

5. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Lava / Fire theme?

6. Eradose

Home Page:
    Yep. At least this half of the set. The other half is rock themed, with rock shelled turtles. This is of course not counting the three hero miniatures the set comes with.

I also found this tutorial. http://tutofig.com/2014/09/ice-weapon-tutorial/ Thoughts on this?
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 6, 2017 ---
    I recently went to the Soda Pop Miniatures website to see if I can find how much their 1st Edition Relic Knights stuff was at, but the listing for it on their webstore is gone. No link or any trace of it. This might be an error, or they could have discontinued the entire line for the upcoming 2nd edition... which makes no sense since all the 1st edition releases still work with upgrade cards, and it's still going to be a year, if not more, before 2nd edition comes out. Not to mention that they still should be selling miniatures of the 1st edition releases that won't be resculpted for 2nd edition.

Oh well, the only reason I was looking it up was that a local hobby store had some Relic Knights miniatures on clearance, and I was thinking of picking up anything I would need so I can finally have all my miniatures playable.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Got this in the mail today.

turn around.jpg

This is going to be used in a custom project to make her into one of Fluff-kevlar's characters. In particular, this one. http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10091646/

Here's the rundown of what I plan to do...
    • Cut off the blades, and modify the top to be a club.
    • Shorten the hair, and sculpt the ears and tiara in.
    • Alter the outfit slightly to match the character's outfit.
    • Drill a hole above her butt, place an armature in it, and sculpt the tail.
    I got another three miniatures coming in the mail, within days of each other. I'll do more breakdowns when they come in.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Here's some progress shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It might not look like much, but once painted, it will really look the part of what I'm trying to make here.

7. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    It's quite similiar to the Mini wargaming video although the guy had alot of edges to make it easier to pick stuff out. It's all going to come down to how you layer it in the end.

8. Eradose

Home Page:
    Picked these two sets up for 40% off at my local shop.
    [​IMG]
    So, I have enough to play the game with two players, but I would need another two army starters to even have a full convention game demo. Not to mention some of the Relic Knights minis are not for either army (although I have three for the Doctrine army).

Of course, I can also beta test the 2nd edition rules with these too.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 9, 2017 ---
    Got some more minis in the mail.

IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG

The resin minis will have a bit of customizing to them. The kitsune will have some hair mods, and the space marine will have her right arm sanded down a bit, some sculpted armor, and some wolf ears and a tail. The other... I already covered what I'll do to it.

9. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Looooots of work to go on this yet.

10. Hoppy

Hoppy Fuzzy Old Guy

Personal Text:
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
    Looking good, there! Got me looking forward to how it looks after inking and adding some weathering touches. Are you planning on adding any terrain features? Like grass, moss, bushes or trees?

11. Eradose

Home Page:
    On my way for the next set of customs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really hated how the Green Stuff didn't stick to the resin figures at all when I needed it to. It's the reason why the armor didn't turn out like I wanted it to on the miniature of the left. The one in the center needs to dry before I can sculpt additional details, and the one on the right only needed some hair add ons.

12. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    I will be adding fake grass to the board base I put it on at the end, maybe add some along a couple corners going up the wall in another color to look like moss growth or something.There is currently sand you cant really see on it thats in black at the moment in patchs and a path way.

As handy as GW green stuff is yea it wont stick to everything, at times I'll use another type of modelling putty for resin or pewter models.

13. Eradose

Home Page:
    More progress done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Apparently, Hero Forge (the website that let's you create 3D printed miniatures from a custom character creator system) is now working on a new system for chibi miniatures, as well as allowing people to have their designs printed out as charms or full 4 inch figures too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/chibify-customized-anime-collectibles
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    Finished painting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Neato on the conversations. The one in the middle left looks like a chibi Articsaki

15. Eradose

Home Page:
    Actually, it kind of is. Or rather her character Acacia from the Drive Core comic she's working on with Curran (and I suspect Black Card represent Curran in the comic). Maybe I should take a picture of her and my custom Curran mini together.

The very pale Kitsune is my character Legion, and the other two are Fluff-kevlar's characters (which he really liked when I showed them on my FA page).

16. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Hopefully tomorrow I can make alot of head way on that manison I got on the go to paint, been a lazy couple of days and messed up work schdules and days cold enough I cant paint XD

17. Eradose

Home Page:
    Here's what I got painted this week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Well this is just sad news, even if its old, Thanks Matt for this terrible news but alas GW dug their own grave EVEN deeper for the North America Trade market.

Now aside from what all he has said, hobby stores in Canada have shrunk to the point of non-existing. Only one's still around, if they do exsist, are in the cities, and even then its like 1 or 2 then about one GW official store that actually hold stock.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  19. Eradose

Home Page:
    Dammit all to fucking hell! I just checked my Facebook page for anyone offering to sell a SDE Twilight Knight, only to find a message of someone saying they'll give me first chance to make an offer on one before they list it on eBay. Here's the problem. The message was from MARCH 24TH, and the guy just listed it three days ago on eBay, with the price now over $1oo...

Facebook... WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME THERE WAS A MESSAGE FOR ME AT ALL!? Now I might be looking at spending over $40 for this mini from someone who might sell it to me from over in Europe, because shipping will be $20.

Seriously, this has been total shit. Getting this mini for any reasonable price is no longer an option. Every trade offer I've tried to make for one has been rejected, and any showing up for sale is way over priced. And the only glimmer of hope to even get one I lost because Facebook wanted to be a total dick about informing me about messages.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 5, 2017 ---
    Recently found this.
    [​IMG]
    This is a 3D printed mech miniature set you can order from. The mecha itself it 65mm scale, and you can buy individual parts, or buy a $30 bundle with one leg unit, one torso unit, and two weapon units. The guy making these will even sell magnets for this for 50 cents each, or install them for you for $1 each. He's also promising more weapon and part options in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something tells me Ruby and Tootsie would love these.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 6, 2017 ---
    It's amazing what you can find in-scale in stores. For example, this Funco Pop Vinyl Cyberdemon...
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    Managed to track down a SDE Twilight Knight on Facebook for $50 ($25 of that being shipping). Considering it's going for hundreds of dollars on eBay, it's a small sacrifice in comparison.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    Hero Forge's latest Kickstarter is still about $20,000 short of their goal with one week left to go. Really hope they get funded soon. Even better if they get the $70,000 stretch goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/chibify-customized-anime-collectibles

20. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    This mansion paint project is taking me awhile, let alone motivation to finish it XD

Well I got a new webcam so that might be motivation enough to start finishing it over live stream :P

21. Eradose

Home Page:
    Just picked this up over eBay.
    [​IMG]
    Plan to make her into Nina, the former Katbox mascot.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 4, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 25, 2017 ---
    You might have seen some custom projects I've done on the Discord server, and Twitter, but I have a few more I'm working on that I'll reveal all at once on the forums when they're done.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 5, 2017 ---
    Just uploaded a new Let's Paint video.

22. Hoppy

Hoppy Fuzzy Old Guy

Personal Text:
    I really do wish you had a better camera, but oh well... still good enough, I think. Watching you do the Twilight Knight is making me itch... that painting itch, ya know. I still have a few hundred old minis I never got around to sitting in my basement.

23. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:

There, now I can move onto Episode 11 at long last!
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2017, Original Post Date: May 17, 2017 ---
    And here it is! Episode 11!

24. Hoppy

Hoppy Fuzzy Old Guy

Personal Text:
    Nice work, @Rosscoe ... looked like the base effects turned out well. Although I do feel a need to say some of your music selection just did NOT seem to fit with the painting of an Ork Warboss.

25. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    For painting something in step by step form I didnt have any other tracks that were over 5 minutes long lol.

Also new rant!

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017, Original Post Date: May 23, 2017 ---

12th Video is up!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Tis time for another rant! And likely my last rant on anything Warhammer Fantasy based :P

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Latest wokring's for everyone's amusement.

[​IMG]