1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer/Miniatures Gaming Redux

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Curran, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Eradose

Eradose Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Got a new miniature today.
    IMG_0206.JPG

Yep, I managed to get the Iron Golem for Super Dungeon Explore. What's interesting is it's stats for Classic Mode. When you summon him, you pick a gem for it, and the gem determines what it's abilities are, and it's affinity (all models have an affinity, which can alter items and abilities used on them). The sword item is also pretty good, since it gives "Defender" to whoever has it equipped (basically, any model with Defender will make all allies next to them unable to be targeted by enemies).

The Steam Key it comes with for Super Dungeon Tactics on the other hand... It doesn't work yet. The game isn't for sale until Dec 14th, so the key won't work until then.

Of course, with the unseasonably warm weather, I set to painting it right away.
    IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    Not the most colorful thing, but that's not what I was going for. I was trying to get it as close to the original art as possible. Base coated it in pure black, dry brushed it in gunmetal grey, then used silver and grey for the armor, and a mix of green and neon yellow for the gems.

Hopefully, it will be warm enough on my next day off to clear coat thing thing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Pontius

Pontius Katbox Forum Member

Metal Daemonettes (Yes, those Daemonettes) are currently on sale in the GW Webstore, as a FYI.

3. Eradose

Home Page:
    Got a few new Super Dungeon Explore minis.

IMG_0218.JPG
    • 2 Prowler Zombies
    • 2 Pudge Zombies
    • 6 Swampie Zombies
    • Shamble Priest
    • Gruesome George
    • Survivor Marie-Claude
    • Mr Bitey
    • Deeproot Wolf Rider
    • Wandering Minstrel
    • Ser Snapjaw
    Sadly, the snow hit, so now it's too cold to use spray primer and clear coat. My only hope is to get a space heater for the garage for Christmas.

I also was looking over the lore book included in the Forgotten King stand alone expansion, and from what was written about the five Princesses of Legend, I think I may have an idea of their ages.

[​IMG]

The hints in the lore are as follows...

• The first princess was born soon after the King and Queen were married (I estimate about a year)
    • The second princess was born soon after the first (Since they're not said to be twins, I say a year at least)
    • They had a total of four daughters in the span of 7 years, meaning that the eldest must have been 7 by the time the fourth princess was born.
    • The fifth and final princess was born ten years after the King and Queen were married.
    • The fifth princess disappeared on her 16th birthday.
    Roughly guessing the disappearance was two years prior to the current timeline, I roughly guess that...

• Princess Amethyst would have been 18 years old.
    • Princess Ruby would be around 20 years old.
    • Princess Citrine would be somewhere between 21 to 25 years old
    • Princess Emerald would be around 26 years old.
    • Princess Sapphire would be around 27 years old.
    Of course, Ruby and Emerald are the only ones out so far, with Amethyst being a preorder bonus for Super Dungeon Legends. The other two have no releases yet.

4. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Ahhhhh Art, How we can escape life to thee
    You know what bothers me about Gamesworkshops latest sales practice? Is this. You advertise made to order but for a limited time......that doesnt make very much sense to TRY and urge a smart buyer to buy them :dropYuki:

I do however though want to pick up the new blood bowl. I never could find the rules for the last version set. However though no spare dough at this time :cryYuki:
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 20, 2016 ---
    The more I look at genestealer cult rules, the more I want to eventuallty invest in making a genestealer cult army. A new play style is always great.

5. Eradose

Home Page:
    Just got a package from Miniature Market today from their Black Friday sale.
    IMG_0227.JPG
    Caverns of Roxor was a great grab during the sale, since I got it for $21 (the original retail price was $59), and Brave-Mode Candy was only $7. Of course, I discovered that some of the miniatures in the Roxor set require assembly. When I get around to building them, I'll take a picture of the whole set.

However, I'm not too thrilled with the book I got as a sale bonus. Yes, getting something for free is all well and good, but I didn't realize free gifts were included in the sale, and the game book is.... not really something I'd be interested in. Not really interested in buying a bunch of 1980s era tanks and military units just to play it. Probably going to see about getting rid of it one of these days.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 28, 2016 ---
    Soda Pop Miniatures just release two new sculpts for their second edition releases.

[​IMG]
    Lunar Knight

[​IMG]
    Moonspire Guardian

They also announced preorders and the pledge manager for Super Dungeon Tactics and the Second Edition of SDE ends on Friday. But they also announced a special set coming out in January in partnership with The Army Painter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yep, they're now releasing an official paint set for SDE through The Army Painter. It also comes with a bonus first edition female Claw Tribe Barbarian miniature. I'll definitely try to pick this up. Not just for the paints or the brush (which it's about time I get a new one), but I've been wanting to get a second Claw Tribe Barbarian, but the metal versions are rare, and don't come up any more on eBay.

So why do I need another? Well... I may have an idea... or two...
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016 ---
    And they announced ANOTHER Super Dungeon set for January, Super Dungeon Arena.
    [​IMG]
    In all honesty, Super Dungeon Arena (a PVP version of Super Dungeon Explore) has been in the works for a while now. But the original PVP set was only meant to be a playmat and rulebook. Now it seems it's becoming a full blown expansion, possible a standalone one at that.

6. Hoppy

Hoppy Fuzzy Old Guy

Personal Text:
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
    Gotta admit... those chibi figures are so cute I'm getting an urge to paint some.

7. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Finally got around to finish this tonight.

[​IMG]

Couple more angles in my tumblr link below.......I forgot to paint on some exhaust stains o nthe exhaust pipes....Least I didnt matt varnish spray the mini yet hehe.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 6, 2016 ---

8. Eradose

Home Page:
    New boss sculpt released for the 2nd editions for Super Dungeon Explore.
    [​IMG]

9. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    You would think coming up with a Christmas list of ideas too hand to the folks would be easy but nope! Everything hobby related is an hour and thirty minute to two hour drive one way for a hobby shop of any kind, and even then 70% of the table top game pieces & kits are better off being ordered from China and waiting 1 to 3 months for it to arrive.

I dunno how it is in America, but this Canadian Toy Tax just makes everything ridiculas, not to mention import fees before resale :/

10. Eradose

Home Page:
    The guys over at Soda Pop Miniatures put out an interesting update for Super Dungeon Explore. It seems that they plan to create multiple stat cards for their Kobolds in the second edition box to represent the different areas the Kobolds can come from. By default (since 1st edition), Kobolds come from the Dragonback Peaks, which is a mountainous region with lots of lava caves. The preview they put out is for Kobolds who come from the more frozen areas of Frostbyte Reach.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They did say that the cards are not final, but it's interesting how, being these are the same models, they have quite a few differences than the originals. They also plan for Kobold stats for other regions as well, so we could see some for more darkness infused areas, and wooded areas as well.

I do hope they did what they previously did for the first edition releases, and put out "Spawn Point" expansions, which were basically army builders that had a spawn point and all the necessary monsters for it, so I can do all these alternate versions in paint.

11. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Been working on a Grav-Gun for warhammer 40K, almost done it though. I will finalize the length and height afterwards.

[​IMG]

12. Eradose

Home Page:
    After a few weeks of silence, we got some new updates on Super Dungeon Legends. First, they announced their first wave releases will be Super Dungeon Explore: Second Edition, Frostbite Ravagers Warband, and Crown Guard Warband. It seems the Midnight Tower Level Box, and most of the single shot miniatures, will not be until Legends ships.

They also announced they decided to resculpt Starfire the Dragon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The resculpt has been met with... a bit of negative reception. To be honest, this looks and feels like the original 1.0 edition release with a few tweeks. The original sculpt they were going to use was based on the resin King Starfire release they did a limited run of a while back, and some backer feedback is asking that it get released in some form.

Speaking of sculpts, we now have a look at the male Hexcast Sorcerer.
    [​IMG]

And finally, another flavor of Kobolds. The Shadow Kobolds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're also going to keep updates coming every Friday until it ships. I'll keep you guys posted on anything noteworthy.

13. Eradose

Home Page:
    Finished painting two minis today.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left is the Dragon Blade from Super Dungeon Explore, done up in mostly metallic paint. The one of the right is Bomechan from Ninja All-Stars. They look okay, but I'm sure a coat of clear coat will make them a lot better.

14. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Looking Good!

If I may suggest, thought about doing a slightly brither layer over the metal green top help pop the armor out some?

15. Eradose

Home Page:
    Like a ink wash? What shade would you suggest?

Also, first Let's Paint video of the new year.

16. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    No no, not an ink wash, like do another layer of Metallic green but abit brighter but leaving the bae metalic green on their now to show near the edges of everything.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 29, 2017, Original Post Date: Jan 29, 2017 ---
    I'll check the video out later, right now I got some stuff to do!

EDIT: To save another double post merger, ill just place tonight's Stream craft heeeeeere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. Eradose

Home Page:
    Here's a video for the PVP expansion of Super Dungeon.

And also from Soda Pop Miniatures, they also showed off the Alien vs Predator Cheyenne Dropship. Anyone who has seen Aliens will really want to see this (although it's over $200 price tag would keep it out of reach for some fans).

--- Double Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 3, 2017 ---
    Well, I got my hands on The Army Painter's licensed Super Dungeon Painter set. It has 8 color paints, 1 metallic paint, and a bottle of shade. It also has the Super Dungeon paint guide (which was created for the Super Dungeon Legends Kickstarter), The Army Painter's Wargaming Painting guide, a highlight brush, and a plastic mini of the first edition Claw Tribe Barbarian. However, there seems to be one thing the set is missing. The miniature dose not have a stat card for Super Dungeon Explore, meaning you can't use the miniature in game unless you want to use it as an alternate (not unreasonable, since second edition will have a different sculpt), or have players share a stat card.

Of course, I didn't get the set just so I can have two Claw Tribe Barbarians. I plan to try out the techniques on the upcoming male version, but the miniature in the set... Let's just say I got it with the intend of using it for a custom project.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Well, speaking of the Claw Tribe Barbarian.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, they're making de-chibi statues of the miniatures now.

18. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:

I tottaly forgot to post this here this past Sunday. Getting back into weekly video logs :D
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Nice little videos as always!

However if I have to point out an improving anything is when you show a close up of what your explaining on a key point in the video(s) and its always a big blur.

19. Eradose

Home Page:
    Yeah... That's because my video camera has no focus control at all. It's one of those cheap Flip Video Cameras I won in a Pepsi contest. Would like a better camera, but too costly. Incidentally, you might want to keep any eye on this topic. http://forums.katbox.net/threads/dungeons-and-dames-sde-project.14037/ I have another paint video on there, and a bit of custom mini progress shots.

Was in the middle of shooting another video, but my batteries in the camera are nearly dead. At least I got what I needed (since I have to wait for the squadron putty to dry overnight). Now I just need to hunt down 2 AA batteries.

I also have an order for Super Dungeon Arena, which should come during the weekend. Hope to review that set on my channel.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 18, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 16, 2017 ---
    Well, I got my hands on Super Dungeon Arena. Will work on a full review later, but here's the rundown so far from looking at the rulebook.

The game's rules play almost the same as Super Dungeon Explore in regards to attacking, movement, and whatnot. The major difference is that both players control a hero, a mini-boss, and two spawn points of enemies, making up a "Warband" (incidentally, this is the amount of content you get from Warband Expansion sets). Spawning also has a tweak to it, as you can bring back a Hero, a Mini-Boss (only if you unlocked the Mini-Boss to begin with), or the entire spawn point's linked monster pool, but every time you use a spawn, the spawn point takes damage. This means that (if no one attacks your spawn point) you can only get 4 or so spawns per spawn point before they're destroyed.

Another thing is that loot and treasure cards can be equipped to Heroes and Mini-Bosses as per usual, but Spawn Points can also be equipped with a single treasure card, with the effects of the card being used by ALL the monsters tied to it.

And then there's the game modes for Arena, which are King of the Hill (self-explanatory), Destruction (typical Deathmatch), and Crystal Capture (kind of a Capture the Flag mode).

20. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Well here's Sundays update!

Didn't much time on it, near end of the week I got a serious virus and well lets just say if the major bad parts of it dont go away in the first 12 hrs your back in ER for more then just a sip of water every 15 minutes followed by a sip of gatorade following on repeat.

That sucks. The camera I currently have I picked up 6 years ago for 80 bucks at walmart, its a flip out but it has a lens swap switch for close in views. Best thing you can do for now until a better camera or solution comes up is point out the detail at a clearer range if possible :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  21. Eradose

Home Page:
    Been kind of looking into making more chibis, since I already created the main 4 characters for Dungeons and Dames, and a few other Katbox characters. Miles, Rachael, and Fulvus are next up for sure when the second edition figures come out. But, I've also been looking into making chibi figures of other characters too.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Recently found another miniatures company called Impact Miniatures. They also have gotten into the chibi miniatures scene, but more for novelty (much like the brief run of chibi miniatures Reaper did a while back). I'm a little curious as to how these minis scale with Soda Pop Miniature's Super Dungeon line, especially since all their miniatures in the chibi line are resin cast. Still, there's two in particular that caught my interest that I wouldn't mind getting just to check them out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sculpting isn't as good as anything from the Super Dungeon line, but it could just be the paint job. The kitsune I'm thinking of turning into my character, Legion. As for the sci-fi model... I want to do something with her. Was originally thinking of adapting one of FluffKevlar's characters, but felt the miniature wouldn't fit a single one of them.

Then I saw Drive Core, and I think I might know just what to do with it.

22. Hoppy

Hoppy Fuzzy Old Guy

Personal Text:
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
    OOh, I like this one. I could turn that into a chibi version of one of my old City of Heroes characters. Her name was Bubbleguns.

23. Eradose

Home Page:
    Yeah, there's a few other sci-fi ones, including a simple mecha, and even a Judge.

24. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    FINALLY ITS HERE! After much much waiting on the video to process for ease of editing :P

25. Eradose

Home Page:
    Got another batch of chibi miniatures incoming. I ordered two of Impact Miniature's offerings, as well as two official Super Dungeon miniatures, with full intent to make some more customs.