Comic UQ 190: Honestly

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
"It's because you're isn't it"? It feels like there's a word missing there, or at least an ellipses to denote the missing word.

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that neither Joel nor Kyler think of that as cheating or anything of substance. But hey, if they're both satisfied that it isn't cheating by their standards, who am I to judge?

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Well good way to start, keep it up Kylar.

"Only a judge or a royal can pardon an execution." And my thoughts immediately jumped to Prince Drayden! I highly doubt King Alfonse will be amicable to pardoning Rourke at any rate.

Phuufy

Super Duper Drawer Person!
The Katbox
Feb 17, 2014
.....spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacee!
Personal Text
Rainbows and Unicorns -- and Giant Super Crab Mechs!
"It's because you're isn't it"? It feels like there's a word missing there, or at least an ellipses to denote the missing word.

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that neither Joel nor Kyler think of that as cheating or anything of substance. But hey, if they're both satisfied that it isn't cheating by their standards, who am I to judge?

Refresh, we had some typos but they should be fixed. As for Kylar being "married" well - obviously that was a farce for looks. Also,Kylar and Joel were not a couple of the time of Kylar and Rourke's encounter.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Well good way to start, keep it up Kylar.

"Only a judge or a royal can pardon an execution." And my thoughts immediately jumped to Prince Drayden! I highly doubt King Alfonse will be amicable to pardoning Rourke at any rate.
The thought had occurred to me as well, but there are a few problems with it. For starters, neither we nor Kyler know Drayden's views on the matter, and broaching the subject might cast suspicion on Kyler. Additionally, even if we assume Drayden would be sympathetic, he has to play the long game and pardoning Rourke might not be a battle he wants to pick at this point in time.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
The thought had occurred to me as well, but there are a few problems with it. For starters, neither we nor Kyler know Drayden's views on the matter, and broaching the subject might cast suspicion on Kyler. Additionally, even if we assume Drayden would be sympathetic, he has to play the long game and pardoning Rourke might not be a battle he wants to pick at this point in time.
True we don't know Drayden's views on homosexuality, whether he shares the same prejudice as the general populace, church, etc. It would be a big risk for Kylar even if Drayden is at best indifferent on the subject because it would give Drayden a huge double hold on Kylar: one for pulling Rourke's head out of the noose (literally) and two for Kylar's own secret. Heck even if Kylar never brought up his own homosexuality Drayden's no fool and would probably figure it out pretty quick. The main reason I thought of Drayden is because he's a schemer with his own designs on the throne. Given a chance to hold something like this over one of the country's celebrated war heros, someone he's already used once, I don't doubt for a second he wouldn't jump at the opportunity and turn Kylar into his own personal pawn.
[doublepost=1487716448,1487712449][/doublepost]One more small thought on Rourke: even if Drayden did save him for Kylar I doubt the two of them could ever see each other again save for maybe a brief private goodbye. A goodbye because Rourke's best chance for survival after slipping the noose would likely be exile to someplace outkingdom. Were he to stay in the kingdom he would almost have to constantly live in the shadows or maybe flee to an obscure backwater where he wouldn't be recognized and try to assume a new identity. Just because he got an official pardon doesn't mean someone, or several someones, might not try to finish the job given his society's views on his sexuality.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
True we don't know Drayden's views on homosexuality, whether he shares the same prejudice as the general populace, church, etc. It would be a big risk for Kylar even if Drayden is at best indifferent on the subject because it would give Drayden a huge double hold on Kylar: one for pulling Rourke's head out of the noose (literally) and two for Kylar's own secret. Heck even if Kylar never brought up his own homosexuality Drayden's no fool and would probably figure it out pretty quick. The main reason I thought of Drayden is because he's a schemer with his own designs on the throne. Given a chance to hold something like this over one of the country's celebrated war heros, someone he's already used once, I don't doubt for a second he wouldn't jump at the opportunity and turn Kylar into his own personal pawn.
Well consider the other side of the coin for a minute. Let's assume the best case scenario wherein Drayden is disgusted by his country's attitudes towards homosexuality. Personal desires notwithstanding, stopping Rourke's execution at this point would be a risky move on his part that could cost him political allies and the public's opinion of him, and it potentially boxes him in. And what does he gain for it? One life and the loyalty of a War Hero? Cold as it sounds, that's not a good strategy, and potentially limits his ability to enact broader reform in the future by making everyone more suspicious of and hostile towards him.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Right so, what does Drayden gain? Well for starters he does gain Kylar, a war hero and a right fine officer who has the admiration and quite possibly a lot of loyalty among the troops. Kylar is someone who could on his own merits, and possibly abetted by some royal string pulling, rise quite high within the ranks. Having a high ranking officer under his thumb could certainly help Drayden achieve his goals, at least those that require the use of the military. He also could gain a hold on Joel as well. Like I said, Dray's no fool and even if Kylar never brings up his own relationship with Rourke and what he is Dray will likely figure it out real quick. So then, why not track down whoever Kylar's lover is and make use of him as well? And Joel could definitely be useful as a scribe with, iirc, access to the royal archives. Joel could be a valuable clandestine agent within the palace for Drayden. Let's also not forget that Joel is the scribe that the king is using to write his will so if Drayden could get to him before that task is completed he could easily have a lot of influence on how that document turns out. I wouldn't be surprised actually if Drayden is scheming already for a way to get a hold on Joel anyway since the whole writing of the will was swiftly interrupted by Valmont showing up.

That's about all I can think up at the moment. There could be more: such as how popular was Rourke before his outing and whether anyone would be willing to quietly back him? There's also Kylar's family to consider, a fairly well to do apothecary with some influence. Though bringing Kylar's family into things could be chancy. It could definitely stress Kylar's willingness to go along with Drayden's plans, especially if Kylar has any misgivings about those plans in the first place.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Okay, reading through all this, and even if Drayden could/would pardon these executions, what would they actually gain from living with the fact that everyone knows their secret lives? Outside of exile, they'll face persecution on so many levels.

And I must admit that these two have quite the interesting views on cheating and what not.