Comic UQ 189: Half-Truths

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Time for a little soul searching Kylar? That's a pretty weak excuse for not telling Joel about Rourke. *Sigh* I get having to live a lie in order to survive but dangit Kylar you can't be lying to those you love and trust, even if it's just a lie of omission!

I'm beginning to wonder if Kylar being found out and having to run and hide from the law is how he's going to meet up with Sesame's group. Just hope if that's the case that Joel doesn't get found out as well.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
A comment on FA made me realize something major that could be a big crux as to why Joel is so upset. Rourke was a good friend and apparently lover to Kylar, and as soon as Rourke's "transgressions" came up he went from "great old friend" to "feh, knew it!".

So if Joel were to somehow be found out, would Kylar be willing to throw him under the bus in the same manner to save face?

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Rereading and this caught my eye: "it's expected of me, to protect us, our families, our jobs. You want me to throw all that away?"

So I'm going to guess that the families of gays in this society may pay a pretty steep price too when someone is found out. Some ostracization likely, especially if the family knew and never turned the person in. In Kylar's case his family is fairly well to do and has a good reputation to maintain and both would suffer if he was found out. Kylar has been keeping even his parents in the dark about himself so he obviously doesn't want them to suffer should he be discovered.
[doublepost=1487165662,1487165214][/doublepost]
A comment on FA made me realize something major that could be a big crux as to why Joel is so upset. Rourke was a good friend and apparently lover to Kylar, and as soon as Rourke's "transgressions" came up he went from "great old friend" to "feh, knew it!".

So if Joel were to somehow be found out, would Kylar be willing to throw him under the bus in the same manner to save face?
There's been a bit of speculation like that here too and I agree that that is likely a big source of what is bothering Joel right now. In a society where homosexuals have a constant death sentence hanging over them if they are found out I figure fear of betrayal, especially by those they thought they could trust, has got to be a constant worry for a lot of them.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Shouldn't follow in Panel 3 Balloon 1 be fellow?

As for the page itself, I must say that this is quite the turning point here for Kylar and Joel. I don't know if Joel is more upset with the fact that Kylar supposedly slept with another guy or if he feels like Kylar would simply throw him under the bus like that guy. And I know Kylar was simply acting, but why did he have to go to that extreme, especially in front of Joel?