UCB 2013 Battle G Design!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Who has the better design?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sammy

Katbox Comic Character
Aug 9, 2011
Good morning, everyone!

Now that it's my turn to play in this fun little contest, I thought this would be a good time to go over the word 'Design'. What is design? We all kind of know it intuitively, don't we? Well, we kinda have to. It's not one of those things that really has meaning until its given context. If I say "What is design?" The best you can really do is shrug and say "It's kind of like your plan to make something." But if the only way we can define a word is by defining a synonym, then it's not much of a word at all, is it?

A design is a plan. But it needs context to know what you really mean. Here, we're talking about if we are "well-made" from the perspective of being aesthetically pleasing. Because this contest is split into three factors, we know that the other two factors have nothing to do with this one. So since personality is considered separate, we know that the concept of this "design" content is purely physical.

But all in all, what does that really mean? A good design can mean all sorts of different things. Was the Hunchback of Notre Dame "well-designed" as a character? He wasn't aesthetically pleasing, symmetrical, or even as functional as a human being. To someone like an architect, he would have a very poor design. But to the author of the work of literature, he is very well designed because he helps set the setting for the world he is in and brings you into their reality to facilitate understanding, the entire point of literature! :heartSammy:

So keep in mind that this design contest is really about who you feel helps you feel at ease. Design's primary purpose in literature, with respect to characters, is to show that the artist has a plan and wants to show you the world these people live in, through them!

So given that, hopefully now you'll be able to make an educated decision! Do you think my design looks pleasing and it helps you understand the world of Learning Curves? Or does Tila's height, strength, and rustic beauty take you into her world more? If you aren't sure, "Looks cool" usually suffices. But I think I'd give someone a C for lack of effort on that one.

Good luck, everyone! :gleeSammy:

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Looking at both of them together, interesting how they both have a lot in common design wise. Both have HUGE tails and lovely blue eyes. It is a tough call, but ultimately gonna have to go with Tila. I like her grey and white coloring and her exotic choice of dress.

ScorpDK

The Thread Ender
Mar 4, 2011
Personal Text
Welp
Voting for Sammy in this one. I generally like her design more than Tila's.

Now, one thing that I could criticize about the contests is that generally the cast pictures weren't made during the same time period, possibly suffering from different artstyle and may not showing the characters in easy-to-compare fashion. A good example here is that Sammy's piece shows her with her hairline raised far above the normal height, giving her a massive forehead. Not sure how that happened but I kept quiet about it back then, but I figure I mention it now.

Anyhow, back to the two. Tila's got a very unique and fantasy'esque appearance, and while nice-looking, is not something you would see on a day-by-day, or even if you did, that you would accept as "normal". Sammy's design fits well into the normal population, yet remains far from plain/common at the same time. She usually dresses rather modest and seems to enjoy sweaters alot. And Turtleneck Sweaters are just awesome.
I could probably also put down that I am generally more enticed by slimmer bodyshapes (up to Tiggs' body proportions). But yeah.

Tenjen

Lynx Ram
May 19, 2008
Personal Text
half-bah maow's*
exotic doesnt reach far for me. Both have amazing tails and patterns on them, being leopards and racoons, both have curves but in a different manner. Goin by hair and coloration, ill have to go with sammy.

Mihari

Katbox Mascot
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011
Here or There
www.katbox.net
I think snow leopards have a certain majesty that raccoons lack, though.
Sadly, this is exactly why I couldn't vote for Tila, there isn't a single bit of her that I can say remotely reminds me of a graceful, swift, and beguiling snow leopard. Everything about her is big and bulky, and I can't imagine her filling that majesty at all, especially how she's been portrayed thus far.

Feb 29, 2012
Sadly, this is exactly why I couldn't vote for Tila, there isn't a single bit of her that I can say remotely reminds me of a graceful, swift, and beguiling snow leopard. Everything about her is big and bulky, and I can't imagine her filling that majesty at all, especially how she's been portrayed thus far.
I look weak and say I'm a pacifist and have acted in such a manner that everyone, outside of my friends, believes I am a weak pacifist. That does not make me a weak pacifist. It's called strategy, if your enemy doesn't expect it then you have the advantage.

Mihari

Katbox Mascot
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011
Here or There
www.katbox.net
I look weak and say I'm a pacifist and have acted in such a manner that everyone, outside of my friends, believes I am a weak pacifist. That does not make me a weak pacifist. It's called strategy, if your enemy doesn't expect it then you have the advantage.
That hardly matters here. As I said, she also has not shown any signs there in, she may very well have hidden attributes, but this isn't about speculation, or what ifs, or any other such thing. It's what we know, and observe, and as such that's what my statement applies too.

Robo

Official # 1 fan of STEALTH TOWEL SNAP
Aug 26, 2009
Walking in the rain
Personal Text
Winter is Coming
Hmm...

Both are curvy, huge tails, tall (Tila obviously much taller), beautiful eyes, pleasing colors and fur patterns.

I was going to go with Tila in this one, but I sat back for a while and really looked at them and decided that Sammy was far more pleasing to the eyes with her lovely browns and greys and blacks. Plus, while Tila gets points for being exotic, nothing about her really screams exceptional. Not to diminish Chalo's stellar artistic skills, but I have seen far better anthro snow leopards. While Tila is very lovely, she's still sort of "bla". Sammy, however, is one of the better raccoon anthros I've seen.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Okay, not going to lie here, but this...this is a tough one. Their attire both suits there atmosphere quite nicely. Sammy with her modern school outfit/semi-professional attire and Tila's medieval fantasy outfits that accent her sexiness. And I will admit while Tila's snow leopard-ness is quite exotic, that really doesn't carry much wait per se.

So I'm kind of in a rut here; however, I may have an idea of how to resolve this. Perhaps if we were to get their perspective of the other's design or something.

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
Voted Sammy, btw. I really like the bandit mask raccoons have.
Raccoons are nature's burglars, which is why I keep cracking up when I read Nixie's comment about snow leopards being more majestic than raccoons. I can't not see a raccoon trying to get the lid off a trash can via a series of poorly-executed lunges.

...Man, I hope Sammy doesn't read this. If she does, I'm going to counter by pointing out that she's spelled the name of her school "Prisim University" in her account's location field.

Last edited: