Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #4 - Zoom Zoom

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click the comic to resize)

Tsukiji Fish Market was the first stop on our trip. And I gotta say, it was really fun. I wasn't sure about visiting a place where all you can do is buy fresh fish. But it was so new and interesting, with a mild bit of challenge, that I was really enthralled. It's full of energy. The kind of place where thousands of people are working their hardest both with and against one another to put their goods up for sale.

Since the photos are stupidly large, I'll use text links this time around.

This is the market where Tokyo gets most of its fresh fish. So only vendors were allowed to come in the morning, so they could have that fish in their restaurants by breakfast. Once we were allowed in, we were allowed to see about... 2-3 football stadium sized markets of this.

Just cartons and cartons of fresh seafood, all of which you can just pick up at discount because it hasn't gone through any supply chains yet.

And it was here that I visited my first Sushi restaurant in Japan. Something I was really excited about. I'm used to the kind of sushi you'd find in Southern CA. Lots of rice, little meat, and generally a chewy and starchy flavor. I love the taste of fish, so when I found out that the norm in Japan is that silky smooth flavor the fillet on top of a bed of rice... I could have died right then and called it a good life.

So what about this comic? In Tsukiji, there are tons of these personal transports for the workers. And... they don't really care if you live or die. So while you're in this market, these guys are zooming around left and right as dextrously as you would expect a crowd to merge into another.

Don't be fooled by the safety yellow. These bastards will run your ass down.

Seriously.

So that's what Ron and I felt like. Do we hop into incoming traffic to eat tuna sashimi in a beautiful park?

:steamedTiggs: HECK YEAH!
:furyTina: LET'S DO THIS!

Last edited:

Falc

Gallery Volunteer
Jun 5, 2013
beyond the dream
Tsukiji is an awesome place. Both of my Japanese teachers recommended we all go visit if we ever go to Japan. I-I'm not j-jealous or anything.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
OMG! It's Frogger. Or Trogger. Trigger? Triger?

Kidding aside, stellar job on taking the photos @SoulKat ! Out of curiosity, does the fish taste over there?

Wow, Steve's older in person than I had imagined.
:happySnowman: Steve's an old man...
:crySnowman: *Sniff*Who forgot his hat....

Borderwolf

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2015
Oregon
Personal Text
Wise, witty, wolf.
Very nice pics!
Also nice tribute to Frogger. I hope Tina and Tiggs made it across safely. Very fresh sushi is very good.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
I have never had sushi, not even the bad kind. There is a supposedly authentic Japanese restaraunt in my hometown, but I've not gone there, since it's also a somewhat high-class place with high-class prices. The kind of place I'd take a date to, if I ever found someone to date that liked new things. Or old things. Or ANY things.

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
Sushi always tastes sweeter after frogging through a sea of sadistic Steves. :gleeTiggs: :XDTina: :amazeSK: :musicKBNekonny: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman:

Hehe, I have a friend who visited Japan and he told me about this place! He told us he's never been more scared in his life. xD

And while I have never been the biggest sushi fan, those photos make me want to try it!

Last edited:

Curran

ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ
The Katbox
Apr 17, 2007
Washington
Sushi always tastes sweeter after frogging through a sea of sadistic Steves. :gleeTiggs: :XDTina: :amazeSK: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman: :shadesSnowman:

Hehe, I have a friend who visited Japan and he told me about this place! He told us he's never been more scared in his life. xD

And while I have never been the biggest sushi fan, those photos make me want to try it!
Sushi is one of those things where the quality is such a huge factor of your enjoyment of it. Good sushi is something sublime, and bad/cheap sushi is...just agony.

I am very happy that I live in a seafood town and have access to top notch sushi.