Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #20 - Sayonara, Japan!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click the image to resize!)

Never assume Tina's just gonna take it and go home. If there's anything I've learned about her, it's that Tina gets what Tina wants.

I wish my vacation had a similar ending in which we had time to socialize in the airport before eventually departing back to our own corners of the world. But alas, if you remember the first page, you'll remember that the actual airports we needed were a mile apart. So saying goodbye to Ron was just as sudden as the first meeting. One moment you're on the vacation of a lifetime... and then Ron gets off the bus at a different station and it's all over.

There was an intense moment for me, personally. We had a plan, yeah. But this is the moment in which 'You forgot to write X down or miss Y flight equates to "SK sleeping on the airport floor in another country." So as I walked toward departures, I was pleasantly surprised that this airport was extremely well organized, color coded, and well... generally polite and helpful!

I'm not really used to that with airports. I do some writing for personal projects and one of my favorite "adventure spots" are airports because they are just so crummy where I'm from. You pay massive fees, uproot your life in a mad dash to an automated terminal, go through security, find where you're supposed to go in a sea of other people... only to wait in line TWICE before some burned out TSA employee asks you to take your pants off. When I returned to the airport, the only moment of strife I had was when an attendant took me aside and apologized to me, saying I had to wait in a -2- person long line again because my laptop didn't scan right and they wanted to check it again. And she was all super nice about it. Talk about different values.

After that, it was pretty unremarkable. I came home and went to work like nothing happened and then slept like I had never slept before. Not having Ron tugging at the leash along with the massive jet lag meant one sleepy SK. I didn't move for a day.

But man... what an experience. I, just yesterday, almost a year later, had yet another experience where people talk about visiting Japan as if it were just a complete impossibility. And I get to say "Yeah, I went." to hushed, wide-eyed gazes. Then I show them my pictures and good times are had.

It kinda dawns on me too at the weirdest times. Like I had takoyaki in a ramen place in LA. And I was like... "This is not takoyaki. This is a soggy hushpuppy." And it blew my mind that I actually had the cultural frame of reference to recognize that. What if there are tons of other things that have gone unnoticed too? And it's not just for food and clothes and cartoons. When someone says something outlandish, you're now armed with the knowledge to fight it. "Everyone sleeps in tubes?" No. You have to pay for that. That's one kind of hotel in one spot of an entire city. And it works the reverse too. "You can see and buy adult material sold openly from the street." Yes. Yes you can. "You're shoulder to shoulder when you get on a subway." Totally.

If there's one thing I hope you take away from these little bits of writing I do it's that it's not impossible to do this. I hope you get your passport, buy a ticket, and go. That's all it takes. "Being prepared" is a couple nights googling stuff. And my budget was less than 2k on fixed costs I could not have avoided. The cost of an expensive computer is a 10 day vacation you will remember forever. If there's anything you take away from this, it's that travel is possible and enriching. It's exciting. It's fun.

tl;dr - It's worth it.

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
When I was a kid, traveling to Japan might as well have been like going to Mars. The first time I went, of course was nervous. But by the time I got on the flight home I was going nuts, it was so awesome I couldn't wait to do it again! How silly I felt that I had waited so long...

I often talk to people about traveling (its something I love to do), and often it's hard to convey how much the experience is worth it. I suppose it's just not for some people, but it's never something that should be dismissed outright. "It's too expensive", "I don't have the time", "it's not safe", "nothing out there interests me", are excuses I hear far too often. Save up and do your research. Put aside vacation days. Do more research and have some common sense to stay safe. How the heck do you know it's not interesting if you never go see it? The world is a huge place, full of amazing things. That wide eye astonishment you had as a child when you experienced something wonderful and new, that feeling of wonder and introspection you get from being somewhere completely new is too valuable to pass up.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Man, this was a fun read in comic and an interesting read in the real life adventures of you two. It totally sounds like Japan would be a nice place to vacation.
But I will say that the first panel there hurts....in the feelings. :crySnowman:

It's that Tina gets what Tina wants.
:amazeTila: HEY!
:furyTila: That's Tila's line!

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
While Tiggs goes home to her fox, Tina has a date with a Takoyaki Bird. :gleeTiggs: :XDTina:

This was a great comic, its sad to see it come to an end... at least until SK & Nekonny go to Brazil! xD

Thank you to SK & Nekonny for not only making the comic, but also sharing your experience, photos and videos with all of us! I've always wanted to go to Japan, I think you fellas made convinced me to make it happen.

And now I gotta go back and read SK & Nekonny's posts in Anthony Bordain's voice now. :P