Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #17 - The Magic of Doutonbori

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click the image to resize!)

Once you see this sign, you're going to have a great time.

Doutonbori street. THE place for food. It's a massive boardwalk by a canal in the middle of downtown Osaka. It's here that Ron and I got some of the best Okonomiyaki of our lives and a certain treat that will be featured in the last few pages.

But let me guess? You probably didn't get the joke, right? Yeah. We understand. You really had to have been there. :pointsSK: :dropKBNekonny:

The main draw of Dountonbori is the incredibly festive restaurant scene. There's so many of them that people are walking out and about in the street, trying to catch tourists and recommend their place since there's just dozens to choose from. Massive decorations stick out of the walls above the iconic places to eat. I wish I could have stayed here so much longer to try every single one.

But to Ron and I, these places are just GOOFY! :XDKBNekonny: :ideaSK: We were laughing our butts off at the signs and even found one little guy who left us in crying heaps of laughter. I'll let Ron post that one. The comic idea came out of the signs all noticing us making fun of them, breaking out of the walls and chasing us. Maybe it should have been two pages... ah well.

This is a great shopping district too! You may not recognize this guy on the giant sign, but you sure will recognize what he sells. And the clown? That's Kuidaore Taro! A statue that marks one of the more comfortable places to relax in this very crowded district. Just inside there I found a few places to shop for candy and baked goods, and a very welcome reminder of home, a Starbucks. Ah... sweet release for my aching feet. :linesSK:

We came out here three times and it was a blast. Ron and I aren't the clubbing types. But we definitely nerded it up a bit We flew our drone to a clapping crowd, including this kid who was cute as a button. She'd yell "Sugoi!" over and over and over while pointing at us. I just felt like I was a part of the whole scene. And each time we ate, it was like kings. Each restaurant was very cool about us not speaking japanese. We'd point to large pictures and then to us and they picked up on it right away. I knew a tiny bit of Japanese, so I could ask "Tamago" in a weak little voice and sure enough, I got a heaping fried egg right on top like what I wanted. It really was fantastic.

And that was just when we ate IN! Oh man... You guys know how much I love Japanese street food. I really can't stop thinking about it. I think I'll make a project out of setting up some of it at home. :heartSK:

Until next time!

Last edited:

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
How could you not laugh, especially when you see something like this trying to advertise a restaurant? XD

"EEeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"

Seriously though, this area of Osaka is something that you can't miss. It's like advertising on steroids gone totally nuts. And I love every bit of it. I love the street food. I love the street food. :heartKBNekonny:

You go to Japan, you have to go to Osaka, seriously. We ate here every night, just because.

Have I mentioned how much I love the street food? :dropKBNekonny:

Zoie Falcona

Wild Kingdoms Dungeon Mistress
May 29, 2008
Home
zoiefalcona.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Support ALS research
How could you not laugh, especially when you see something like this trying to advertise a restaurant? XD

"EEeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"

Seriously though, this area of Osaka is something that you can't miss. It's like advertising on steroids gone totally nuts. And I love every bit of it. I love the street food. I love the street food. :heartKBNekonny:

You go to Japan, you have to go to Osaka, seriously. We ate here every night, just because.

No you didn't? Please describe more?! :D

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Seems like Japan attacked Tiggs and Tina with MASSIVE ADVERTISEMENT!!!
:amazeTiggs: :amazeTina: *Runs away screaming* It's super effective!!!

But man, there just seems to be SSSOOOOOOO much to go, see, and eat at all at once. I imagine it would take at least a year to eat at all those places.

"EEeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"
Is that a combination of the Fonz and Elvis? If it is, the kudos for that place doing both at the same time.

Borderwolf

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2015
Oregon
Personal Text
Wise, witty, wolf.

"EEeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"

Yes, Osaka does sound like a great city. If I had the money to go to Japan, that would be one of the cities I would want to visit. Another city I would want to visit is Sapporo. Why? It is the 'sister city' of my city here in the U.S.

Also, yes Nekonny, you did mentioned the food. You are a Foodie after all. :gleeKBNekonny:

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
Warning: Imitate the Mascots at your own peril. xD

"EEeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"

Any establishment that has Fonzie and Elvis' weird lovechild as a mascot gets an automatic four stars from me. xD

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
All this talking about food over there finally got me to try something new. I actually went and had lunch at a sushi bar!!
I have no clue as to whether it's well made or anything, but it tasted fantastic! The way it looked when served was also really nice. Next time I go, I'll be obnoxious and take a pic of it!!