Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #15 - Gladbus

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click the image to resize!)

Hehe. Ok, now I know what you're thinking. Trust me. I've been down this road before. I've talked to people about things like this... about MOMENTS like this, and you're undoubtedly thinking one thing: You think I'm exaggerating.

There's no actual way an auto-piloted technobus rode up with the Glados voice, opened its doors to a complete wall of people and was all uppity about why we didn't get in right away, right?

Oh man...

The Gladbus was a moment for Ron and I. Remember that I'm in super duper ultra no-take-backs double whammy pain thanks to Ron's "easy" route through Kyoto. So when we're on the way to the Silver Pavilion and Gold Pavilion temples CLEAR on the opposite side of town, I break down and start begging my cruel taskmaster for the bus.

Oh... oh my god. Kyoto heard my weakness. It heard my simpering cries for a return to mechanized public transit and delivered to us... The Gladbus. I'm sorry I don't have pictures, because it simply was impossible to move my limbs. They asked me to step up onto solid pile of people, some dude lowered a seat about the size of a cup-holder from the side of his seat and then told me my gigantic American ass was supposed to "sit" there while the bus was in transit. There's an overhead bar to hold onto as well, so that when this seat inevitably fails you don't fall into the three people who are basically married to you with how intimate you're getting.

I was absolutely -losing it- on this bus. Ron and I were cracking jokes in the Glados voice about the level of "convenience" we were experiencing. Getting on the bus took LONGER than it would have been to go on foot due to Japanese traffic. We were holding onto a chinup bar the whole way there, supporting our weight and yet unable to pull up to a new position. It was like a first day in fat camp!

Imagine this... For like an hour.

The Gladbus is taunting us with travel destination time estimates that never changed. "Estimated time to arrival... 40 minutes." The same estimate you heard Twenty. Minutes. Ago. It started telling us about the destinations we'd never reach and showing them on tiny pixelated monitors. Oh, and of course it constantly reminded us that we needed EXACT change before we could get off, despite the fact that there was no way in hell I could access my pockets in the sea of Steves.

Ron and I started to laugh... like, really, really hard too. The kind of laughter you get when you realize pain cannot end. We started talking like Glados and saying any Japanese words we knew. "GANBATTE KUDASAI! RELEASING THE DEADLY NEURO-TOXIN DESU YO!" and people were looking at us like we were insane.

Was it worth it?

Totally.

Until next time.

Last edited:

Zoie Falcona

Wild Kingdoms Dungeon Mistress
May 29, 2008
Home
zoiefalcona.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Support ALS research
@SoulKat That place is beautiful! Just the place I'd love to drag you, ID, and Curran for just one small game and some tea or just have a small drawing lesson from Ron there.

I really do miss traveling and all the pains that go along with it.

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
The way it rolled out was kinda the result of insufficient planning on my part :cryKBNekonny:. There were just so many things to see that instead of trying to lay it all out in detail, I just massed them into 3 groups that seemed to be more or less within walking distance of each other. Then, to go from one group to the other we would take the bus. Seems simple enough, right? :dropKBNekonny:

We got lost. :cryKBNekonny: :crySK:

Truth be told that when compared to the rest of Japan, Kyoto doesn't have much of a rail transportation system. Very few train lines, and some of them aren't even connected (although they appear to be on the map). Barely any of them stop close to the attractions (which is quite a feat considering this is Kyoto we are talking about) So they fill that gap by having buses which, unfortunately, are infinitely less frequent, slower and less comfortable. And good luck understanding this. Sometimes we waited at a stop for 20 min before realizing we were at the wrong place, or the bus that we needed didn't service that particular stop. We were always glad to get on one but when we finally did we realized the trap we had gotten ourselves into :dropKBNekonny:

Yikes, I'm making it all sound terrible. The sites in Kyoto are beyond words amazing, and made it all worth while. Besides, having SK to joke about Gladbus and other things made it go by easier. I think that it was during this part of the trip that Tora Tora Tokyo was really fleshed out.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
I'm really glad you guys decided to do this little side comic thing and share what that trip was like. It is so far beyond anything I would ever do myself, and this gives me a glimpse into something I otherwise would never see. Arigato gozaimasu!

My own vacation trips, by comparison, would have been dull and boring as hell. I never feel a need to "go do more/go see more"... far too hectic for me. I used to go to Cherokee, NC, in the Appalachian mountains with a bunch of people I met in online chat rooms. My favorite thing about those trips was just sitting around the campfire, talking and joking, sharing stories and making memories. I just wanted to....well... be THERE, if that makes sense.

Would be nice to visit Japan some day. I doubt it'll ever happen for me, but this gives me a little window to see it thru, at least.

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
I've always felt that people made traveling out to be more complicated than it truly is.

1. Get a passport. Regardless of if they have travel plans or not. It's just a things all adults should have, kinda like a drivers licene. It takes about a month to get one, and if an opportunity shows up to travel on short notice, you'll miss out without a passport.
  2. Make a list of all the places you've ever been remotely interested in seeing.
  3. Get a rough idea of what airfare/hotel/etc costs are for a one or two week vacation. Use google flights and booking.com; they are really helpfull and provide a wealth of information
With these you establish a baseline. From there you can decide what is "a good deal", do more specific research on a particular location, etc.

I like to recommend Japan a lot because its its extremely safe, first world location and yet has a very exotic feel to it. You can get around just on English. Europe is another good bet as well. South america and some tropical Asian locations suffer a bit on the security side of things, but they aren't bad at all if you are street smart. And so on and so forth.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
For me, the trouble isn't getting prepared, or the cost, or whatever. It's because of what I'm becoming.

There's a word for it in Japanese. Hikikomori. Learned that one just last week, to be honest. But, at least I can live it all vicariously through stories of others, and that's awesome.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
This is definitely the most amazing page yet, but I'm waiting for the one where we find out that SK and Ron actually died there and have been ghosts this whole time.
We won't learn that until Halloween night. That's the rule, you know.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Question to SK & Nekonny: Does the GladBus give you a song for departing the bus sung by little missile bots?
That would be so BOSS!

And man, getting in that bus must be hard for those two since there's so many White Guys. I guess it's a White Guy Tiger Sandwich.
:gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman:
:gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :cryTiggs: :cryTina: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman:
:gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman: :gleeSnowman:

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
For me, the trouble isn't getting prepared, or the cost, or whatever. It's because of what I'm becoming.

There's a word for it in Japanese. Hikikomori. Learned that one just last week, to be honest. But, at least I can live it all vicariously through stories of others, and that's awesome.
(after looking at google images) :amazeKBNekonny:

Oh man, don't do that :cryKBNekonny:

I look at all the rooms and I just feel like going through them like a bulldozer. Toss it all out, you don't need any of it. Better to start from scratch than to go through the stress of having to go though each item and figure out if its worth keeping or not. :pointsKBNekonny:

The amount of objects in the room would seriously stress me out after a while; way too much visual noise, your main can't focus on any one thing in particular. :cryKBNekonny:

Actually, I now recall a feeling of visual fatigue after a few hours of browsing around Akihabara or DenDen Town. I mean, its very well likely that one can see will see a literal million figures in under a day, and at one point it just starts to all blend together. Ugh :cryKBNekonny:

In the past, I never had a habit of keeping figures and models on my table. After my first few visits I actually forced myself to do it, since it seemed like it was a thing to do and a lot of artists seemed to like to keep models around to serve as inspiration.

But now, thinking about it better, i realize my own office area is pretty messy; papers all over the place, unorganized bills and drawings spread out on the floor... :pointsKBNekonny: At least I don't have to sleep in the middle of all that. :dropKBNekonny:

I'm going to do some major spring cleaning when I get home. :furyKBNekonny:

Last edited: