Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #11 - Defend Himeji, Girls!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click the image to resize!)

Aaaaaah, Himeji Castle! Now we're talking! Sick of talking about the ultra-modern bullet trains? How about a restored piece of history built in the 1300s and was even given away as a prize for The Battle of Sekigahara!

It's a beautiful piece of architecture, restored lovingly for our generation to enjoy. And lucky for Ron and I, it has just reopened, allowing us to run the interior just like a certain couple of tigresses. We didn't get to touch the armor, though... Comics to the rescue!

Ah, what's that? Not enough pictures? Time to fix that!

Here's a shot from the 4th floor, looking at the castle wall dividing ancient times from the modern city.

This was one of my favorites, looking back up at the castle from the courtyard.

We got to go through several of these gates that normally warriors would have to battle through, all while getting destroyed by arrow and rifle placements... And all that's somehow after making it over the moat...

Tons of people came out to see it that day. And you can see why. It cost the same as a nice garden or park and you could easily spend a whole day looking at and relaxing in a national treasure.

It's something I recommend very passionately to anyone going to Japan. I had a ton of fun seeing the whole grounds. My indoor pictures are pretty sad thanks to the light. But you get to see a lot more too when you get into the structure. All of the hidden cubbies Samurai would hide in and the multi-layered defenses on defenses just to make it nigh impossible for tens of thousands of people to take. The fact I could even set foot in one of these for the same cost as a meal just blew my mind considering the amount of work it took to build and restore it.

That's all for now! I hope you continue enjoying Tora Tora Tokyo!

Last edited:

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
Yeah, by a massive stroke of luck, it had just opened up 2 days before, after undergoing a 5 year restoration. It's one of the few "original" castles left in Japan, and by far the largest. Most of the rest were destroyed during the war, and a good deal of them are concrete and steel reconstructions now.

Following a tip we got from someone in Miajima a day before, we showed up extra early and were able to beat most of the crowds. Himeji castle features predominately in my multirotor video

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Yeah...Japan seems like a fun place to explore both modern and ancient wonders.

:amazeSnowman: Egads!
:furySnowman: Those tiger kitties are stealing national treasures!
:happySnowman: Steve Patrol Go!!!
:gleeSnowman: We'll lock those kitties in prison...
:handsomeSnowman: After we throw them into the ocean for salmon.

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
HaTina Hanzo & ToyoTraci Biggyoshi: the original samurai pizza cats. :XDTina: :laughTiggs: :amazeSnowman:

And these photos keep getting better & better. Himeiji Castle is jaw dropping, that architecture is glorious.