Comic Tora Tora Tokyo #10 - Hotel Shinkansen

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

SoulKat

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 17, 2007
(click on the image to resize!)

This comic's a simple one for a simple pleasure. I don't know if you remember me talking about being sore after moving around so much? Well... that totally inspired this comic "Hotel Shinkansen". The Shinkansen are the famous Japanese bullet trains. They are, in a word, awesome. You board them cleanly and casually, even going through less hassle as a tourist than a normal Japanese citizen because you buy your rail pass way before the trip starts.

When you get on, a polite conductor checks to make sure you paid... And then that's it. Just you, the scenery, and whatever food you bought coming onto the train. It was so remarkably peaceful that I wanted to remember it forever.

:amazeSnowman: "But SK... JAPAN! How can sitting on a train for three hours be something cool?"

Consider for a moment that someone who thinks sitting for three hours as cool has forgotten what sitting felt like! Ron was our vacation planner and he's pro at this. We visit and see easily 20 things a day. That means that sitting down was for the weak :furyNekoNekonny: .

These train rides were pure bliss. Aching muscles could quiet. Sandwiches and adorable bunny cakes could be devoured . And best of all... I could actually talk to Ron! :dropNekoNekonny: I know that sounds weird considering we were there for 10 days. But you'd be surprised how much travel dominates conversations. Finding your destination. Paying fees. Getting food. Asking for restrooms. Repeating the awful labyrinthine instructions to get through the subway... again.

But at Hotel Shinkansen... You get to honestly relax. They're the first, and only times, you get to honestly relax. And that's why they get their own page.

Last edited:

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
I love the shinkansen - it's a testament to how inter city public transportation should be. Consider that you're going over 200mph nonstop in a direct line from one place to another in a wide, spacious seat with tons of legroom. No airport hassle, no security lines, just hop on and go. Missed a train? No problem, the next one leaves in 30 min. No reservations necessary. A JR pass will get you all the trips you could ever want for a week, two or more. Totally worth it.

Japan has so much time to offer, heck, you could be in Kyoto alone for a week and not see everything. So yeah, you got there, take advantage of it. Rest truly is for the weak :furyKBNekonny: (although to be honest, this trip was one of my less intensive ones :dropKBNekonny: ).

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
Well, I was afraid that my back would start acting up, and I didn't want to slow you down so to speak, so I left things a lot more loose than I normally did. I think your shoes were the "great equalizer" there... :dropKBNekonny:

Oh, and we had all those extra rest stops for drone flying, that was a first for me too.

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
Well, I was afraid that my back would start acting up, and I didn't want to slow you down so to speak, so I left things a lot more loose than I normally did. I think your shoes were the "great equalizer" there...

Oh, and we had all those extra rest stops for drone flying, that was a first for me too.
As a person who talked with SK during his trip, I second this.

Well, we didn't go hiking, or skiing, and we usually started later and ended sooner than I was used to. But don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining, not at all! It was a great change of pace, and I really enjoyed it, not doing the "see/do as much as you can" route.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
I think the point that are making is that, if that was a "less intensive" trip... then they would hate to see what you would call an "intensive trip."

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Yeah, with all the walking and site seeing, I too would kind of like taking it easy for a bit and checking out some scenery on a train too.

I love the shinkansen - it's a testament to how inter city public transportation should be. Consider that you're going over 200mph nonstop in a direct line from one place to another in a wide, spacious seat with tons of legroom.
Those things are going 200 MPH!? Dang man! That's awesome. Pity there's no glass ceilings as that would be pretty awesome to see.
:gleeSnowman: *Steve climbs on top of the car at high speeds.*
:happySnowman: *Steve puts his hands in the air.* WWWWWEEEEEEEE
:happySnowman: *Steve flies out into the air.* EEEEEEEEEEE

These train rides were pure bliss. Aching muscles could quiet. Sandwiches and adorable bunny cakes could be devoured . And best of all... I could actually talk to Ron! :dropNekoNekonny: I know that sounds weird considering we were there for 10 days. But you'd be surprised how much travel dominates conversations. Finding your destination. Paying fees. Getting food. Asking for restrooms. Repeating the awful labyrinthine instructions to get through the subway... again.
:happyTaffy: I hope you enjoyed my hot buns!

Alternate joke...
:heartRandal: This giving you any idea honey buns?
:amazeTaffy: OH RASPBERRIES!!!

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
The Hotel Shinkansen: you can check out anytime but you never want to leave. xD

I've always been big fan of train rides (there's noting better than kicking back and watching the scenery go by), so the Shinkansen sounds extremely cool. And that view/pic of Mt. Fuji is awesome.

Who knew Nekonny was such a hardcore tourist? ^^
Ron was our vacation planner and he's pro at this. We visit and see easily 20 things a day. That means that sitting down was for the weak :furyNekoNekonny: .
Rest truly is for the weak :furyKBNekonny: (although to be honest, this trip was one of my less intensive ones :dropKBNekonny: ).
Ron Nekonny: The Katbox's 100th Degree Black Belt Vacation Sensei. :XDKBNekonny:

Last edited: