Discussion To reboot or to not reboot?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Nixie

Seal of Approval
The Katbox
Jan 19, 2010
Washington, USA
nixieseal.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Ort ort ort
To reboot, or to not reboot? That is the question.

As some of you may know, I'm considering switching Anthronauts to a short story format instead of just extending the plot the way it is now. As a part of switching to short stories, I might reboot the series.

Why would I do such a thing? Not only to my devoted fans, but to myself? Have I not spent hundreds of hours working on this? I've got technical problems with the plot, the science, the characters, but worst of all...

I don't know how to keep Anthronauts a comedy. I don't want Anthronauts to stop being a comedy. Working on tragic stories makes me depressed.

I have created a plot around a species that has to wipe out planets in order to reproduce. They're not evil people. Some of them get very attached to these planets, like Boris has. But if they don't go around eating planets, they'll go extinct. Our protagonists think the only solution to the problem is to kill off the invasive species. They're fighting for their survival, too. How can this be a comedy? How can I get humor out of two sides trying to determine who's got the right to survive? No matter who comes out on top, this can only end in tears. When I came up with this, it didn't occur to me just how grim a subject it was. I was only thinking of what Boris' research was about and why Calimary existed.

Then there's those technical problems I mentioned. There's that huge chunk of pages that were half finished and mostly jumbles of text. I've made the backstory more interesting than the main storyline, so there are far too many flashbacks. There are plot holes galore, and holes in the science I was basing the plot on. There are holes in certain characters- particularly Calimary. The more I think about it, the more her actions clash with her motives and the things she's said about Alpha Draconians don't add up.

I know some people hate the idea of restarting this because it stops a pretty deep plot right in the middle. If I reboot AN, there will still be Alpha Draconians, but I won't put everybody in the same lose-lose situation, and it won't drag on the way it has. Would you rather see a series of tragedies and long-winded scientific explanations, or have the story stop in the middle and be replaced by more wacky misadventures like those in the beginning?

Ironfoot

Prime Minister of Fun!
Jul 7, 2010
ironfootkb.deviantart.com
Sigh, much as it pains me, I think you should start over. Why? Because you don't want to write tragedy. And if you don't like doing something, the quality will almost certainly go down. I'd rather have you doing something you enjoy to make yourself happy first and foremost and we come along for the ride, than you write something for us that leaves you unsatisfied. If you do give up the current comic and reboot, just give us a hint as to how it would have ended (if you know). At the end of the day, a creator creates for themselves. So make a comedy and make it great. Use these fantastic characters as a framework for the future.

Gurren

Katbox Forum Member
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah it's better to start over with something you enjoy writing as opposed to trucking on through something you hate because knowing you have to stick with something you don't like doing will just make the whole experience worse for you.

ScorpDK

The Thread Ender
Mar 4, 2011
Personal Text
Welp
I think it all comes down to what YOU personally want to do. Doing things you enjoy is always better than doing something you dislike, and a comic is something you personally need to enjoy in order to work on it every week. IMO.

And if you opt for the reboot, consider it something like an alternate dimension/reality; a more happier spin on the events that happened in AN during the past years...which you could eventually continue on or suggest somewhat how it would continue. Not a cliffhanger, but a "and so they set out..." as quite a few adventure stories end up in. If that was understandable enough.

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
I'm already several thousand words deep into PM suggestions to Nixie, but I'll sum up my feelings here. I don't think the current version of Anthronauts is beyond retrieval, and I think it would be that much more powerful a story if its characters manage to overcome their failures and their histories. Character, and characters, are built through adversity, but the benefits can really only be enjoyed in lighter moments. There's a balance that needs to be struck for a truly well-rounded series. It's not too late to recover the Anthronauts we knew and return to it a sense of humor without overlooking the magnitude of the dark things that have come to pass.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
I'm already several thousand words deep into PM suggestions to Nixie, but I'll sum up my feelings here. I don't think the current version of Anthronauts is beyond retrieval, and I think it would be that much more powerful a story if its characters manage to overcome their failures and their histories. Character, and characters, are built through adversity, but the benefits can really only be enjoyed in lighter moments. There's a balance that needs to be struck for a truly well-rounded series. It's not too late to recover the Anthronauts we knew and return to it a sense of humor without overlooking the magnitude of the dark things that have come to pass.
I pretty much agree with Caps statement here and don't think I could put it better myself. I have been enjoying the series as is and I think the darker dramatic aspects of the series really flesh it out however I am sure ya could still certainly bring the silly as well. As Cap said, there can be a balance.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Hm...I've been reading the comments here, and I will admit that I have mix feelings on the issue.

I can understand the desire to relaunch Anthronauts from the perspective that if Nixie isn't happy with it then why continue it. After all, I imagine that AN would suffer if she's not really into it. Also, I will admit that the story has been somewhat hard to follow (had to read it twice) with the mysterious surrounding the cast's past. I will say that the whole tragedy focus has been somewhat of an interesting twist for a comic. Truthfully, I can't really recall any comic/anime that has solely focused won tragedy with humor injected here and there. That's kind of one of the reasons why I'm a fan of AN. Really, I'm probably one of the few that would mind leaving the story as it is currently progressing.

Ultimately, it's really up to how Nixie wants to portray the story. After all, what's the point of working on something if you don't enjoy it?

Apr 11, 2010
I admit, I partially followed Anthronauts for the drama and deeper story. But you are the artist, and if you feel the series is not going the way you wanted, then reboot.

I will still happily follow, and I'd hope you don't remove all of the darker underpinnings of the AN world, but the comedic potential is there, and oddly, i'd like to make a suggestion as to a structure that will help you avoid the pitfall of drama: Base your structure off the original star trek.

It sounds weird, but AN had the most humor when they were visiting new planets and exploring. In Trek there was the ever present darker threat of the "scary" Klingons, a threatening group that later became a happy member of of the federation I might point out, but the episodes were short, simple, problem A on new planet B, solution for problem B, check off planet A and move to planet C, Repeat.

If you make AN more "episodic", with story threads having something of a 6 comic structure: Setup, Problem, Event, Event, Solution, Continuation. That structure might help contain the story and rein in the tone.

Either way, i'll be a loyal fan of AN, and as the artist it is your story and your vision, so I want you to know i'll still look forward to each page for as long as AN keeps flying. I'm behind you whatever you choose Nixie, so if you want to reboot, go for it.

May 31, 2013
Why are you making Anthronauts? Is mainly for us? Or for profit? Or for your enjoyment of telling a story? Or as an clever excuse to develop your art? Or some other reason? I suspect the answer to your question might be determined by what you hope to achieve in the making of the story.

I definitely have enjoyed reading the comic and will certainly follow whatever you do next with it. Keep in mind that you already have multiple story lines in the same universe. If you are split on what to do, you could make one story gritty and continue fungus farm in a limited manner as a cast of wacky hijinks. I could see the fungus trying to get into stand up comedy as a mime! Just one idea. Cap Video probably has a much more comprehensive and reasonable set of ideas.

purefox

Katbox Forum Member
Jan 23, 2009
thepuregamer.deviantart.com
Yeah, I have to agree that the reboot idea sounds best. Honestly, the recent string of tragedy and loss in the current story has just been depressing, and a return to the comic's roots would be very welcome.

As others have said, if you yourself hate writing tragedy and prefer writing comedy, then the short story format is probably the best way for you to enjoy making AN again. =)

Nixie

Seal of Approval
The Katbox
Jan 19, 2010
Washington, USA
nixieseal.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Ort ort ort
Leviathan- Yeeeah, Anthronauts was supposed to be a comedy. I sure borked it, huh?

Captain Video & Chaos Sepher- Even if I can bring back the comedy, in this case, I'm not sure I want to. I'm not sure it would be moral. If the story's about genocide, is it really a good thing to try and throw in some "Ha ha ha, you and everyone you love is dying. ^_^"? My treatment of redshirts was bad enough.

Pommy- I was indeed thinking the same thing you were. That sticking to a format closer to Star Trek episodes would work better for both humor and plots. I will still have the big threat looming over everything- I'm not going to get rid of Alpha Draconians- but I'm not going to let it dominate every story.

StrixVaria- I make comics first and foremost because I enjoy telling stories, and secondly because I want people to see and appreciate my work. Sometimes I let the second part override the first, but if I'm not enjoying the comic anymore, I think I need to change. I'm not doing this for profit. I had hoped long ago to get Anthronauts put in print, but that wasn't about profit either- that was about wanting even more people to see and appreciate my work. If I switch to short stories, I can easily have Fungus Farm just be another part of Anthronauts, and I'm definitely thinking hard about it.

Feb 29, 2012
Leviathan- Yeeeah, Anthronauts was supposed to be a comedy. I sure borked it, huh?
Since the moment Meilin was shot and kill at point blank range, I couldn't figure out what Anthronauts was but it sure wasn't a comedy to me.

My treatment of redshirts was bad enough.
That was the only part of the comic I found funny.

If I switch to short stories, I can easily have Fungus Farm just be another part of Anthronauts, and I'm definitely thinking hard about it.
Will both still have art to them? I hate reading anything that resembles an all text book. (The works of Michael Crichton being the only known exception.)

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
My suggestion would be first get through this flashback. Get through whatever water planet they are stranded on. Then go with an episodic/short story format and back to comedy type things. I honestly don't think it's completely necessary to reboot the whole damn thing at this point yet.

Nixie

Seal of Approval
The Katbox
Jan 19, 2010
Washington, USA
nixieseal.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Ort ort ort
I intend to do my comics as comics, not novels. XP I deeply regret having Boris' explanation back there be so... wordy.

Chaos- I'm going to end the flashback, but as for getting off the watery world- that would probably be another 60 pages away, and it's not gonna happen. And I do think a reboot is necessary at this point. I can't just say there's an alien race about to eat the main characters homeworld and then just leave it. XP

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Bottom line: If this is the direction ya want to go then go ahead. Whatever ya make I am sure will be great. Though I feel like a reboot is gonna be really jarring after all this story and development, especially with wanting to see what you would have done next at this point.

Though in terms of short stories would love to see Fungus Farm be part of it too.

DarkMyste

Mar 9, 2013
i think a reboot would do suffice to keep you happy nixxie, but i just thought of something why not mix fungus farm/anthronauts characters into the mix this way we can keep both comics neatly packed into one comic that way you can work on both comics when you want to take time off from one set of characters and start new story but with in story of the main like group a chqracters would interact with group b characters, and so on that way you switch back and forth to each group with out over taxing you self[DOUBLEPOST=1371156824,1371156700][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bottom line: If this is the direction ya want to go then go ahead. Whatever ya make I am sure will be great. Though I feel like a reboot is gonna be really jarring after all this story and development, especially with wanting to see what you would have done next at this point.

Though in terms of short stories would love to see Fungus Farm be part of it too.
well maybe it can be rebooted as memory to what happened on the water planet then start the reboot off with out jarring anyone to hard