Discussion To Chalo, ID_Fox, SoulKat: How would you feel if Linkara reviewed your comics?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
Pass

I'm a Spoony fan. Linkara is not funny, or at least never has been when he's been shown with Spoony.

Even if he did do it, I don't respect him enough to feel impacted by it.

Sussoloc

Apr 21, 2008
United Kingdom
sussoloc.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Wish you were here?
I personally like Linkara - his logical insights towards illogical situations can be rather amusing to listen to. That said, it seems a bit pointless for him to seek ill logic in comics where logic is neither present nor called for (for example, his review of the Kool Aid Man comic).

Seeing as how this guy tends to review comics in a derogatory manner for the sake of entertainment, I doubt a review of Las Lindas by him would do the comic much justice. In any case, I haven't seen him review many comics beyond physically published material.

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
I don't know about Ed. I know we have a spot on TV tropes and one at the bad webcomics wiki.

What's interesting about the bad webcomics wiki is that I found the link posted on an image board I used to frequent. The image board crowd was more upset about the review than I was.

We like doing what we do so that's really all that matters to us. If someone doesn't like it then no big deal. Their vitriol won't be welcome here on our home turf, but we're not going to be likely to raise a ruckus about it.

Mar 26, 2010
Land of the Free
Personal Text
Stand up for what you believe in!
Why would this even be on the Bad Web Comics wiki? The review wasn't even accurate.

It's a great comic, which is alot considering I'm not a huge fan of comics, and it's one with a surprisingly rich backstory. The only real complaint is it isn't from a Human perspective, than again it was set to attract a certain other type of crowd but it's still good none the less.

I think critics like that just further prove my idea they just wish they could even do half as good as the thing they're criticizing.

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
I don't really believe that "they're just jealous" retort much. It sounds like something that someone says in elementary school, no offense. If I lawl and talk about how crappy say... Hearts of Wildfire is (google it, we have experience with the author/artist) it doesn't mean I'm jealous of his ability to MS paint a pile of turd. It means I have a different opinion from say... his mother and the few kids who have to wear a helmet while surfing the net to keep from hurting themselves.

Again, it's not a big deal and I don't even really care if the review isn't accurate. Someone who comes to visit us isn't going to then go out and research to see what other people think about it in order to decide whether or not they like it. The only people who really read those for information are the ones that are looking for something to make fun of. They may even visit our website to see all the comics and laugh at how stupid they think it is. That brings us traffic and recognition. Some of them may find out that they like the comic, others may go and tell their friends about the stupid webcomic and entice them to go see it. They might find out they like it. The only way they can reach out and affect us is by coming here to troll our forums, and we can ban a troll in less than 10 seconds.

If you really wanted to damage a webcomic then you ignore it. Don't tell anyone about it. If the comic really is crappy and nobody talks about it and subsequently nobody reads it, it will likely fade away. Obscurity is our worst enemy.

Mar 26, 2010
Land of the Free
Personal Text
Stand up for what you believe in!
Yes, but it's the childish, weak argument filled way they "critique" fiction and art that makes me think they are just jealous shut ins. People like Roger Ebert I love, while people like on-line critics sound like a jealous hasbin who wishes someone would take notice of his "constructive" criticism.

But I do see what you mean. Still doesn't change my opinion of course ;P

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
People like Roger Ebert I love, while people like on-line critics sound like a jealous hasbin who wishes someone would take notice of his "constructive" criticism.
Case in point: I feel Ebert's critique of The Craziessays more about him than it did about the film. This is only my interpretation, but I sensed the feeling that Ebert wishes that maybe he'd done something else with his life, and that he viewed the film (which I loved) as just another sad aspect of his crummy job.

With that thought in mind, take all "professional" criticism with a grain of salt. Anyone can criticize a movie; not everyone can make on. People who devote their lives to evaluating the work of others are often bitter.

JSB

Katbox Forum Member
May 31, 2007
New Jersey
If I lawl and talk about how crappy say... Hearts of Wildfire is (google it, we have experience with the author/artist) it doesn't mean I'm jealous of his ability to MS paint a pile of turd.
That still exists? Damn, it does! And it somehow got farther. Crap-tastic!

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
I still find it interesting to read webcomic reviews of Katbox comics, however good, bad, etc they may be. I know there are a few about CB floating around the web...

Pontius

Katbox Forum Member
Sep 21, 2007
Maryland
Linkara's reviewing style is mostly deconstructive and for comedy, and as Suss says he does bring up good points. I couldn't see him doing this comic, however. Or any real webcomic, for that matter, unless it's something notoriously bad, overhyped, or so on. It'd have to be one he had lots to work with too - you can't make a twenty minute video last with only two or three big things to complain about, and too many small things makes one look like a prick (Look at Spoony: He was bitched about by members on a Wing Commander forum for his comments on things like the misspellings and Submarines-in-Space jokes for his movie review).

Maybe one day it'll get to the point that LL or TEoR or CB are reviewed by someone on Channel Awesome, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Why would this even be on the Bad Web Comics wiki? The review wasn't even accurate.
To avoid Drama, all I'll say is: A thing to realize is that all the entries is that they all have at least some base in accuracy. Some entries are much more accurate than others, and a lot of it also comes down to:
1) Who was the poster.
2) When in a comic's life they made the entry.

I won't make any comments on the LL article (again, saying "I think this is true" or "This is a load of crock" on any points is bound to cause at least some drama), but perspective and circumstance of creation are important to recall when you look at the articles.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Above made moy pequeno: If you're going to take the effort to read it, also take the effort to avoid stirring up drama with a debate that can be resolved in the Chatango / a IRC / via PMs or Messenger / somewhere other than this topic. Responses are fine, just don't turn it into a cesspit.

Status
Not open for further replies.