The Spookhouse: A Supernatural RP (OOC Thread)

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Merrick Rose

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 20, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Personal Text
I like the way you die, boy.
In 1903, Theodore Roosevelt killed a werewolf while hunting in the Catskill Mountains of New York.

Following that incident, an organization was founded within the United States government for the purpose of combating supernatural threats to national security.

This organization was called the Department of Supernatural Domestic Defense & Research.

It would come to be known by another name...

THE SPOOKHOUSE

Nearly 40 years have passed since then. The world is engulfed in war with the Axis Nations: Germany. Italy. Japan. Axis soldiers scour the world in search of dangerous artifacts and powers that could tip the war in their favor. The Spookhouse is needed now more than ever.

CHARACTER SHEET

Name:
Appearance:

Personality:
Bio/history:

Strengths:
Weaknesses:

Weapons:
Accessories:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask in here or PM me. I'm also on Skype as WhiteRoseSamurai.

Important Characters

Colonel Jeremiah Hapscomb
A former Colonel in the British Army, Hapscomb is the current Director of the Spookhouse. He wears an eyepatch and has a hook for a hand; injuries from the last Great War and his days as an operative.

Doctor Elspeth "Doc" Holliday
The Spookhouse's head of Research and Development, Holliday supplies operatives with weapons and devices of her invention. She is also a very resourceful operative, talented in laboratory research, medicine, paranormal research, and investigation.

Hiram Mottra
Hiram's service to the Spookhouse consists mainly of research and documentation. Occasionally he is called upon to go into the field, but his nervous nature and considerable bulk make him ill-suited for long term operations. To compensate, he carries an assortment of silver, wood, and mercury weapons so that he can handle confrontations with practically any supernatural creature. His education includes a small amount of medical training, so his services as a medic are sometimes employed. He often utilizes his unproven sixth sense that allows him to "feel" aggressive thoughts directed at him. Some think this is actually just paranoia, but more often than not, his feelings prove true.

Moloch
A demon who was rejected in both Heaven and Hell, Moloch is not technically a member of the Spookhouse, but became a volunteer of sorts after he assisted in an event known as the Nepalese Horucide of 1927 so he could destroy the demon who cast him out of Hell centuries prior. He helped seal a demonic portal, and the Spookhouse brought him back to America as an unofficial operative. Moloch's true form is that of a large red demon with wings covered in black feathers, but he can take the form of a well-dressed gentleman to blend in with humans. Even so, the Spookhouse tends to deploy him into sparsely populated areas, where they can turn him loose without fear of collateral damage.

Khen Rigzin
A wise old Tibetan monk. He is the Spookhouse's spiritual advisor and martial arts trainer. He participated in the Nepalese Horucide and knows more about Moloch's past than most members of the Spookhouse.

Scat Dazzle
A voodoo expert who can communicate with Baron Samedi, the voodoo loa of death.

Svetlana Lupescu
One of the Spookhouse's top operatives, Svetlana is a dhampir (half human, half vampire) of Siberian descent. She appears to be in her early 30s, but is actually far older. Svetlana's true age is unknown, but she claims to have lived during George Washington's presidency.

Last edited:

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
Name: Henrique "Hank" Porterhouse
Nationality: French Canadian
Appearance: A physically imposing 6' slab of muscle draped in various accoutrements that might come in handy should highly improbable circumstances arise. Has a red eyepatch and a really impressive mustache. For some reason he always appears black and white in photographs, even if color film is used.

Personality: Hank often gets lost in his own mind trying to plan for unlikely scenarios, causing him to lose track of what's going on around him. This causes him to become confused and angry over random things, and then somewhat more angry when he realizes that his anger-controlling exercises have failed him yet again.
Bio/history: His parents were run over by a train while taking a hot air balloon ride. Since then, Hank has known that disaster can strike from any and all sides, and that it is always best to be prepared for the unpreparable. Not getting that this is impossible, he spent has spent his entire life ordering things out of catalogues, desperately hoping that they can help him get through the next weird event.

Strengths: Strong.
Weaknesses: Has no depth perception because of an accident with a spring-loaded paring knife. The huge amount of baggage he keeps on his person at all times means that his range of motion and ability to move quietly are heavily compromised.

Weapons: Hunting knife, paring knife, bread knife, machete, knife sharpening rod, kitchen scissors, egg beater, skillet, automatic pistol, revolver, hunting rifle, shotgun, ammo for all, bear trap, piano wire, piano tuning kit, cork puller, nut cracker, small aquarium filled with piranhas, mallet, trench shovel, unexploded First World War land mine he found in Belgium while on holiday and has sentimental attachment to.
Accessories: Sleeping bag, night stand, complete leatherbound works of William Shakespeare, console radio, cuckoo clock, steamer trunk filled with clothes for all seasons, flat-packed motorcycle with sidecar that he can assemble/disassemble in about ten minutes.

Merrick Rose

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 20, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Personal Text
Name: Jackson Foster
Nationality: Japanese American
Appearance: Jackson is about 5 and a half feet tall with light skin and a slightly athletic build. He has pale blond hair that covers one of his eyes, which are bright blue, and he usually wears a turtleneck, a white jacket, and black jeans with brown boots.

Personality: Jackson puts on a cold air of professionalism sometimes, but he's a good person. He loves gangster movies and has an on-again, off-again relationship with Svetlana. He's a little hard to approach or make friends with when he's on the job, and it sometimes feels like he's brooding about something.
Bio/history: Jackson is an FBI agent who joined the Spookhouse less than a year ago. He's still a little new at it, but he has a lot of potential. He's earned the nickname "Jack Frost" for his ability to wield ice magic, which is due in part to his mother being a yukionna, a Japanese spirit that can control ice and snow. For most of his life, he displayed no sign of his powers until they were finally awakened during a mission in the Japanese mountainside, where he got lost in a blizzard and soon passed out. When he woke up, he was outside a small village and the blizzard had ended.

Strengths: Besides his powers, Jackson is highly skilled with all manner of firearms and possesses great skill as a detective.
Weaknesses: He's still learning how to use his powers, and using them too much tires him out.

Weapons: His preferred weapons of choice is a Walther P38 pistol and a combat knife, but he will other weapons as a situation calls for it.
Accessories: A silver locket and a 1941 Ford

=============================================

Name: Harold Taylor
Nationality: British
Appearance: Harold is just under six feet tall with the build of a professional bodybuilder. Every muscle in his body has been trained to their maximum potential, and his body is covered in dozens of small scars. In the field he often wears his combat fatigues from his days in the army. He has dark brown, wild-looking hair and hazel eyes.

Personality: There's a good soul under Harold's wild exterior, and he possesses a carefree, jovial personality. He and Jackson have been friends ever since they met.
Bio/history: Harold was a Warrant Officer in the Special Air Service, a special forces branch of the British Army. The squad he was in never failed any mission they were given. One night, during a mission in the south of Scotland, Harold was bitten by what he thought was a huge dog. The squad medic patched him up and they thought nothing of it afterwards, but by the time Harold realized something was wrong, it was too late. Under the light of a full moon, Harold transformed into a werewolf and slaughtered his entire squad. The Spookhouse found him several weeks later near a small village somewhere north of London, where the locals complained that their livestock was being killed by something in the woods. Harold was given amnesty by Her Majesty and brought back to America as an operative, on the condition that he drink special potions that allow him to keep his human mind whenever he transforms.

Strengths: Possesses tracking skills from his army days, and an incredible sense of smell and hearing. In addition to his full werewolf form, Harold has learned how to turn into what resembles a wolf/dog hybrid to blend in with humans during a full moon.
Weaknesses: He can obviously only change during a full moon, and can't change back into a human until it passes. He also has the weakness to silver bullets that all werewolves have, and can't stand the kind of high-pitched noises that only dog. If he doesn't drink his potion before a change, he goes berserk and is a danger to anyone unlucky enough to be near him.

Weapons: His fangs and claws in his wolf form, and a Mauser c96 pistol, Springfield bolt action rifle, and trench spike in his human form.
Accessories: His dog tags and the dogs tags of his entire squad.

Last edited:

Merrick Rose

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 20, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Personal Text
(if vampires are aloud then I'm in ^_^ if not I will kindly GTFO )
They are. Post your character's profile and I'll take it into consideration.[DOUBLEPOST=1374132121,1374050996][/DOUBLEPOST]As soon as some more people join, I'll lay down a few rules and stuff about how this rp will work.

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
Name: Victorique la Patin
Nationality: Flemish Belgian
Appearance: Projection 5'1'' Doll 10''

Personality: Timid, Sarcastic, Snarky.
Bio/history: An abandoned doll that gained self awareness and with it a physical projection that she controls. When she gained self awareness she at first sought vengeance on the humans that abandoned her. However she quickly learned her family was killed by a vampire and reevaluated her goals. She wasn't born as a child and as such has 14 years worth of experience in dealing with supernatural phenomenon, despite this she's still rather dimwitted. She was known to always walk around with a blank stare on her face(s) and looking quite determined. But the truth became known that she went around rather aimlessly searching for supernaturals to dispose of. She ended up in America simply by chance.

Strengths: Immune to curses, Somewhat resilient to magical and physical attacks, Physically Small, Strong and quick footed. The projection can recover from any injury very quickly. Small doll body is quite easily repairable with common materials ( candlewax) . She possesses the ability to curse people; the ability is stronger the closer she is to people. She effectively has two pairs of eyes; her doll and her projection both have independent sight.
Her doll body can fly.

Weaknesses: The small doll on top is her actual body; it's quite defenseless despite it's defensive umbrella. At longer ranges 100m+ / 300+ feet her magic can only make people feel nauseous or ''slightly'' dizzy at most. She is rather lightweight ( projection over 66 lb , the doll ~1lb ) which means she can be knocked away rather easily. Her projection is limited to an agile human's articulation while her doll body isn't. When her Doll body gets knocked out by a magical attack her projection loses conscious as well which easily happens if she doesn't protect herself with her umbrella. Rather vain; often leaves real body on display during battle. Her doll body needs to be in proximity of her projection otherwise it stops moving (about 60 m / 200 feet )

Weapons: Monk Spade (Yue Ya Chan) ( Projection )
Fabrique Nationale (FN) Browning ( Handgun )
Knife ( Projection )
Defensive Umbrella ( Doll body )
Tiny sword ( Doll body )
Magical Curses

Accessories: A bundle of rare coins she collects, A medallion with a picture of her previous owner in it. Has an array candles in her pocket, A small partially burned diary of her previous owner. At least two alternate outfits for her doll body.

Last edited:

Merrick Rose

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 20, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Personal Text
Any chance this will still get off the ground? I was looking forward to it.
Yes. Very soon. I'm going to wait two more days to see if anyone else joins, and then I'll start it.[DOUBLEPOST=1375906197,1375083263][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry I haven't posted again yet. Just having a little writer's block. x:

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
Yeah, I considered posting again myself but in the current situation I couldn't see doing anything more than acting utterly foolish and although my character isn't supposed to be smart it would be quite... unnatural to do stupid things at this point.

Merrick Rose

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 20, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Personal Text
I would like to apologize for taking so long to post. I've just been so busy lately. I promise I will make more time to post often. Thank you for being patient.

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
I'm sorry that it took so long to post my response I am on vacation.

As a compensation I made my post bloated with redundant information.

Wa-ha-ha[DOUBLEPOST=1379320314,1378052808][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's cool. Still looking forward to the story.
Hank spent a few moments looking for his night-vision goggles, then looked up. He was alone.

"Guys? Guys? Dammit."

Uhm, did you intend to have lost us before the ICEWALL or after it? I'm quite confused how to react to this circumstance since I don't believe we've moved far from the icewall at this curent moment in ( IC ) time.

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
No. Just been real busy. @_@;;;

Well, good luck with that. I hope it's nothing serious. ( but you're saying it's not right? )

I'm glad we can still continue.

Edit:

YAY we have finally reached one full page.

Let's celebrate with cake.

[DOUBLEPOST=1380579716,1379973403][/DOUBLEPOST]As long as you're busy I think we can go of schedule and you could just post whenever you have the time to do so instead of every weekend since it seems to be troublesome for you this way and I don't want to inconvenience you more.[DOUBLEPOST=1381497209][/DOUBLEPOST]@Captain Video Was it intentional to call Victorique Victoria?

Last edited:

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
Nope; my mistake. I'll go fix that.
I should give myself a shoulder pat for checking. Since that's the thing I was going to make Victorique react on if it was intentional.
Now I shall place a mark on my list of times being considerate... plenty of space left. ¬_¬

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
I should give myself a shoulder pat for checking. Since that's the thing I was going to make Victorique react on if it was intentional.
Now I shall place a mark on my list of times being considerate... plenty of space left. ¬_¬
Dang, now I feel like I should have let her react. Hank is such an anxious, spastic man, and she's so collected, he's bound to step on her toes sooner or later.