The Pokémon Thread

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona

Tonight, Nintendo unveiled the newestPokémongames,Pokémon X/Pokémon Y. They're completely new titles for the 3DS.

One point of interest: in the core series, as long as you consider diamond, pearl and platinum color shades, these are the first Pocket Monster games that are not named after colors.

The three starters look to be Chespin (the Grass type), Fennekin (the Fire type), and Froakie (the Water type). You can sneak a peek at them, along with some in-game screenshots and the (probable) two new legendaries, below.

The games are getting a worldwide release in October 2013.
Source
---
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I'm ready for Pokémon to go the way of Harry Potter and other childhood memories. I'm sure we'll always have fond memories of playing games like Pokémon Blue/Red or collecting the trading cards, but I think making it last this long is a little outrageous.

Anyways, feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. All I know is I'm kind of over Pokémon, especially after I gave Pokémon Black/White a try. It just doesn't have the same feel as the first two generations.

Urien Lævateinn

Knight- Errant
Feb 29, 2012
It has been around a long time. I don't think they'll stop until they have every type combination, an eevee evolution for every type, and/or reach 1000 pokemon. And although there are people that want it to end, Nintendo will just keep making more as long as they make enough money off the franchise.

Beelzebub

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 21, 2007
New Jersey
Finally with 3d graphics and stadium-style combat/moves. This should have been done YEARS ago. I mean, seriously. Dragon Quest Monsters did it in 2007.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
I'm excited. I love pokemon. I don't get why some people have given up on it. The stories are actually pretty good, the collection aspect is still addictive, and the trading aspect gives me another excuse to get out of the house :D

That said, the thing Pokemon hasnt been doing is advancing with the times. They look better, they have some new things and new creatures and attacks, but it needs REAL innovation. Perhaps with going mostly full 3D now they will take it a step further? Maybe get rid of HMs once and for all?

NekoSabrina

Katbox Forum Member
Feb 29, 2012
I doubt HMs are going anywhere, though a lot of what made them special went away in Gen 5. They're too much of a staple of the series to just go away (although I wish the TM selection was better than it was in Gen 5).

While some of the first glimpses at Gen 6 are...interesting, to say the least...I'm not sure if I'll be making this transition, at least right away. First off, I actually don't own a 3DS (there really aren't any games out for it or coming out for it that really interest me, plus there's still things to iron out). Doesn't seem worth it to get one right now just for this. Secondly, I'm still working on Gen 5 (I know, I'm way behind).

...I wonder if they'll finally make a Dark-Type Gym this time around. It's the only Type that hasn't had one when every other element has had at least two (Let's see... 3 Rock, 4 Water, 4 Elec, 2 Grass, 2 Poison, 2 Psychic, 2 Fire, 2 Ground, 3 Flying, 2 Bug, 4 Normal (counting Nacrene and Aspertia as separate, even though they give the same Badge), 2 Ghost, 3 Fighting, 2 Steel, 3 Ice, 2 Dragon, 2 Multi-Type (Gen 2/4 Viridian and Striaton))

Last edited:

Suwako

Diety who likes frogs
Aug 24, 2009
Frogland
Personal Text
Not a frog.
My last really enjoyable pokemon experience had to have been in the gold/silver generation. I did try the generation after that but the feeling repetitive sequence somewhat made me lose touch with the world.
However the idea of pokemon in three dimensions has always garnered my interest, it's a first that I regret owning no handheld since a long time. I will likely still not be acquiring the 3ds for this though, however
I'm glad that nintendo is finally adding some innovation to pokemon games, even if for now only in the graphical department.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Wasn't sure if I should make a new Pokemon X & Y thread but I figure it would be better to bring the existing topic back up for a specific thread for us to talk about it. Summing up a couple major points.

New Pokemon Thus far

Fairy Type
So sort of odd new type, but I think it is fitting and pretty neat. This is what Sylveon is going to be, and past pokemon including Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, and Marril (this is the odd one to me) is gonna be. Fairy attacks will be strong against Dragons, which I think works given the fantasy creature angle.

Here is something I think is really neat. The Pokemon Clauncher.

I am fairy Certain is it based on a pistol shrimp! Which I think is freaking awesome cause I have always wanted to see some kind of character or creature based on this bad boy.

Falc

Gallery Volunteer
Jun 5, 2013
beyond the dream
I'm rather intrigued by the fact that we get a new type. (I wonder if this also means no backwards compatibility?) I personally see the Fairy-type as probably a better execution of the much rumored Light-type from days of yore. It also fits Sylveon much better than flying.

I'm calling Fairy as super effective against Dark-type.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
I'm rather intrigued by the fact that we get a new type. (I wonder if this also means no backwards compatibility?) I personally see the Fairy-type as probably a better execution of the much rumored Light-type from days of yore. It also fits Sylveon much better than flying.

I'm calling Fairy as super effective against Dark-type.
If ya mean backwards compatible to Black and White games, I am sure we will at least have a transfer system to dump all our existing B&W Pokemon into X & Y just as we have been able to do since Gen IV.

As for Dark vs. Fairy, I figure one will be weak against the other, or maybe super effective against each other.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
If they allow backwards trading they may add a restriction stating that gen 5 games can't trade for gen 6 pokemon or pokemon with new attacks.
They had a loooooooong time ago with original Red and Blue to Gold and Silver. Again, I think it's far more likely they will just have us transfer our pokemon from Black and White to X & Y. After all, its what they did with Gen IV to Gen V even though they were still DS games.

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I'm ready for Pokémon to go the way of Harry Potter and other childhood memories. I'm sure we'll always have fond memories of playing games like Pokémon Blue/Red or collecting the trading cards, but I think making it last this long is a little outrageous.
I haven't really kept up with Pokemon, but I don't resent its continued success. I was a Pokemon kid in the late '90s, and then I grew out of it by my mid-teens - say 2003 or so. My wife is currently making an effort to catch up with the cartoon, which is actually still on the air, but I lost track of the games long ago. In my own way I'm just as over Pokemon as you are, but I'm glad that it's caught the minds of a new generation.

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I haven't really kept up with Pokemon, but I don't resent its continued success. I was a Pokemon kid in the late '90s, and then I grew out of it by my mid-teens - say 2003 or so. My wife is currently making an effort to catch up with the cartoon, which is actually still on the air, but I lost track of the games long ago. In my own way I'm just as over Pokemon as you are, but I'm glad that it's caught the minds of a new generation.

I can accept that Gamefreaks and Nintendo have done a good job keeping Pokémon afloat, and I rather like how they've adapted the game to new technology like the 3DS, but they're going to have to run out of ideas eventually. I mean, we've gone from avatars of the elements (e.g., legendary birds and legendary dogs) to avatars of human emotions and time and space itself.

The series will always bring fond memories and be very unique in it's gameplay, but I just can't imagine this going on for very much longer.

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
I can accept that Gamefreaks and Nintendo have done a good job keeping Pokémon afloat, and I rather like how they've adapted the game to new technology like the 3DS, but they're going to have to run out of ideas eventually. I mean, we've gone from avatars of the elements (e.g., legendary birds and legendary dogs) to avatars of human emotions and time and space itself.
I dunno, I feel like Doctor Who went down these same paths and is having just the best time with them.

Feb 29, 2012
but they're going to have to run out of ideas eventually. I mean, we've gone from avatars of the elements (e.g., legendary birds and legendary dogs) to avatars of human emotions and time and space itself.
If your speaking legendary they might be able to keep it going for a few more generations if they use myths and legends of the entire world. As for non legendary pokemon the limit is seemingly endless.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
So the newest pokemon revealed, Honedge, is a possessed floating sword and a ghost-steel type. I want the hell out of this one.

BTW, Steel type is one of my favorites in these games.

HonorBoundBrony

Equestrian Knight In-Training
Sep 18, 2012
So the newest pokemon revealed, Honedge, is a possessed floating sword and a ghost-steel type. I want the hell out of this one.

BTW, Steel type is one of my favorites in these games.
I know right?! As a sword enthusiast, that one HAS to be included in my main party when the game releases. I wouldn't be able to respect myself if I didn't do so.

Falc

Gallery Volunteer
Jun 5, 2013
beyond the dream
Ghost types usually get some of the cooler/niftier stuff. I really liked Chandelure and it's pre-evolutions from the last gen. Also, Honedge just looks awesome.

HonorBoundBrony

Equestrian Knight In-Training
Sep 18, 2012
I am wondering, assuming it evolves, if it adds maybe more bits of armor/body or if it turns into a bigger sword or some such.
I'm already insanely hyped up for Honedge... I don't think I could handle any evolutionary forms of it, if those are anything close to what they end up looking like.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Newest wave of new pokemon including:

Panchan's evolution Pangoro

Fighitng/Dark type. This guy looks pretty freaking badass! Fighting types are another favorite of mine.

Inkay and Malamar

Okay I seriously LOVE these Pokemon. Really cool design and they are a Dark/Psychic type! Malamar's name is admittedly groan worthy, but damn if this this is gonna be a MUST HAVE for me for the next game.

BTW, seems Xerneas, the stag legendary for X is going to be a fairy type while Yveltal is a Dark/Flying. They are going to respectively representing Life and Destruction.