Comic TEoR: Language Barrier

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!

[doublepost=1495478347,1495478299][/doublepost]Okay, my French is a little rusty, but I’ll give this a try.

Panel #2:
Marianne:
Do you mind if I say that I prepared this meal. I want to impress him.

Fio:
What?

Panel #3
Fio:
I work hard to prove my reputation as a chef. And my reputation is based on word of mouth.
If he speaks well of it, this could mean a big move in my career

Marianne:
If you want?

Panel #4
Fio:
Maybe if you pay your rent on time or you don’t drag your pants down with lowly men.

Marianne:
WHOO! That’s a low shot waffles! I work hard to succeed in making the tips and paying the rent.
I did not choose an easy career like cooking.

Last Panel:
Marianne
I’m sorry! I didn’t want to steal all those bad guys.

Fio:
I know this devastates you too. I didn’t want anyone to argue.
Go for this. You can tell him that you made breakfast.

Marianne
I don’t want to argue either. I never want to hurt you again.

Fio:
Go and conquer the heart of this beautiful nerd.

Both:
I love you.

I hope I got that right…Again, been awhile since I spoke French.

Also, is it ironic or intentional that the breakfast is a massive sausage with butter on it? Just saying.

As for the last panel…
Yeah, that’s it. Now rub her head…Now kiss her. XD #FamilyGuy

Slaughts

Forum Field Marshal
Gallery Volunteer
Apr 21, 2007
Bowling Green, KY
That's what I basically got when I tried to translate it as well (I will admit I did use online translators). Did get a few funny errors when I misspelled something, but can't post them here because of TOS :P.

Talk about the low blows ladies o_o, but hey, at least it didn't drag out into a full blown shouting match like they could've easily done.

It'd be funny though if in the next comic it turns out Ron understood French and understand their entire argument.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
I'm not sure he really has to understand French to understand what just happened. I mean he asks Mari a question and she immediately switches to a foreign language to ask Fio a question, they argue and then after coming to an understanding she finally answers the question. The transparency of trying to hide the conversation makes the gist of it pretty easy to surmise.

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
You are a real smooth criminal, Marianne. xP

Now I wonder how many times Marianne and Fio argue and make up with shoujo sparkles per day... (I bet 5 on a workday).

And I totally did a double take when the dialogue switched to French. xD

Last edited:
Well, you got it mostly right but I see few mistakes MrAmp but mostly you are right. Here the translation I would correct as a French Canadian. I hope you do not mind.

[doublepost=1495478347,1495478299][/doublepost]Okay, my French is a little rusty, but I’ll give this a try.

Panel #3

Marianne:
If you want?
Marianne: Please?

Panel #4
Fio:
Maybe if you pay your rent on time or you don’t drag your pants down with lowly men.
Fio: Maybe if you pay your rent on time or you don’t leave your underwear all over the place... and we can dream: if you could taking out the trash for once!

Last Panel:
Marianne
I’m sorry! I didn’t want to steal all those bad guys.
Marianne: I'm sorry! I didn't want to said all this bad things ( wickedness? I am not sure if wicknedness is not a little too strong.) about you.

I hope I got that right…Again, been awhile since I spoke French.

Also, is it ironic or intentional that the breakfast is a massive sausage with butter on it? Just saying.

As for the last panel…
Yeah, that’s it. Now rub her head…Now kiss her. XD #FamilyGuy
Tout le reste est correctement traduit.

S.P.P.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Marianne: I'm sorry! I didn't want to said all this bad things ( wickedness? I am not sure if wicknedness is not a little too strong.) about you.
Wickedness does indeed come off as awkward in English. Common phrasing would be along the lines of "I didn't want/mean to say all those bad/terrible/nasty/mean things..." Cruel would start to push it, and wicked doesn't see much usage (at least in the USA) outside of melodrama.

Feb 27, 2017
Manchester, England
Personal Text
The Unique Enigma
Marianne:
If you want?
I kinda figured she was saying more like "Pretty pleeeeease?" there.

It'd be funny though if in the next comic it turns out Ron understood French and understand their entire argument.

I'm not sure he really has to understand French to understand what just happened. I mean he asks Mari a question and she immediately switches to a foreign language to ask Fio a question, they argue and then after coming to an understanding she finally answers the question. The transparency of trying to hide the conversation makes the gist of it pretty easy to surmise.

That's what I was kind of thinking. There's no way Ron couldn't have figured out, at least from context, that no, Marianne didn't cook the food.