Comic TEoR: A Wall of Bricks

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Well I suppose it's nice that the damage is not permanent, still I'm concerned with the end. Ron is asking Ramalach to alter someone's mind, even if it might just be a small change for that person's benefit in Ron's view, WITHOUT THAT PERSON'S CONSENT! Talk about a major ethical concern!

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Belvarius, just try to think of it like a parent forcing their kid to go to school, or the dentist, or the doctor, etc.
Dadgum computer freezing up the first time I try to respond here. Wrote things out by hand so as not to lose things, log back in and it's all still here! Well here goes attempt #2!

No, this is not like that at all. This is mind control and that is nothing like being a good parent! A parent, a good one, influences their child's mind and behavior by setting good examples for them and, teaching them right from wrong. Even when a parent makes a choice for their kid, such as no games until homework is done, that kid can still choose to defy them and suffer the consequences for it. This..... she might not be able to make certain choices after whatever it is Ram does to her. She might permanently lose some of her own free will depending on what it is Ram does to her! That is a horrible price to pay in order to reform someone's life and she's not going to have any say in it! Moreover she might have good reasons to want to be able to make certain decisions. She's a member of a street gang, one that just a little bit ago in comic was viciously beating the snot out of Ron, might have even beaten him to death had Ramalach not intervened. What happens to her if she can no longer take part in gang activities, can no longer even associate with them doing something completely innocent like just hanging out and playing video games? There are plenty of RL gangs where when a member tries to leave that gang will do it's best to make sure the person doesn't long survive the attempt. Ron may have all of the best intentions with whatever change it is he's going to have Ram make, and she may still wind up very dead because of it. *Sigh* To me this is very much a "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" moment for Ron. He may mean well but there's just so much potential for this to go horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Had a few more thoughts about my above post. Suppose things do go like I hope they don't for the young girl, it might make a good opportunity for Ran to recoil in horror at what he did later on. Imagine a couple of weeks later him sitting down at breakfast with a coffee and a newspaper. After taking his first sip he casually starts glancing over the headlines until one article grabs his attention, about a young female gang member found dead in some back alley. Along with the article is a picture of the victim, perhaps from a few years ago provided by her family, but Ron still recognizes her. Now he starts reading the article with interest, cops have made an arrest, of one of the other gang members who admits it was done because she was trying to leave. That's when the full horror of what Ron had Ram do hits him: she's dead and it's my fault. And as Ron sits there reeling from Ram pops out to have a little chat with him. I'm not sure if Ram would be more consoling here or maybe take a more tough love approach, lecturing Ron about using power responsibly and carefully considering the consequences of his actions before he commits to doing something. I think Ram would know a bit about that given his previous life.

There is another possibility I considered. What if this girl's gang buddies don't kill her but instead figure out through talking to her that she can no longer join in on their activities because of something Ron and Ram did to her head? We now have a bunch of thugs who know that Ron has some way to alter other peoples minds and bend them to his will. Ron is now a target of them again but for different reasons! While they might be reluctant to approach Ron directly (they don't want their minds messed with) there is someone who lives in or very near their turf that Ron cares about: Marianne. How well that works out though would depend on how smart of a leader they have, how big a gang it actually is. We've only seen 4 of them (counting the girl) so if that's all there are my speculation might be pointless. It's doubtful a group of young punks that small would go on to trouble Ron, especially after that scare Ram gave them.

Last edited:

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Bel? Simmer down. As best I can tell, you're probably barking up the wrong tree to start with. Much of your rationale seems to be predicated on the idea that "adding another brick" would effectively trap her in a body she could no longer control, somewhat akin to how no matter how hard the protagonist of Liar Liar tried, he simply could not lie. It sounds, however, more like a Jedi using a mind trick, the MIB giving someone a new memory, or if you prefer, the "Heretic" virus in Mass Effect 2, as explained by Legion

Legion: Altered programs are restored from archives, new installations are deleted. This heretic weapon introduces a subtle operating error in our most basic runtimes. The equivalent of your nervous system. An equation with a result of 1.33382 returns as 1.33381. This changes the results of all higher processes. We will reach different conclusions.

Shepard: So the reason they worship the Reapers is... a math error?

Legion: It is difficult to express. Your brain exists as chemistry, electricity. Like AIs, you are shaped by both hardware and software. We are purely software. Mathematics. The heretics' conclusion is valid for them. Our conclusion is valid for us. Neither result is an error. An analogy. Heretics say one is less than two. Geth say two is less than three.
Unless I'm reading it very wrong, this talk about adding and rearranging bricks is not "Assuming Direct Control" or making someone incapable of doing something. Instead it sounds much closer to convincing them of something, or implanting a feeling, belief, or memory a la Inception. Ie, how they feel about their circumstances is tweaked so they're more inclined towards desired actions.

Last edited: