Art Shataivian's Studio

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Shataivian

Don't forget to smile. It looks better on you ^_^
Nov 15, 2015
Idaho
www.furaffinity.net
Well here we go!
This will be my studio for stuff I've done in the past and stuff I'm doing currently. (Art Gallery).
@Ilana IllaRouge and I have been working together for years now to turn our story into a comic and we've got some work ahead of us. I want to be ready come next year's additions.

I've never been good with critique but I value it's, well, value. So please I welcome it. Let me know what you think.

To start off I'm going to show you our one character named Terence. I'm going to show you four pictures so far to show my growth and improvement.

This first one is when I first got my tablet for Christmas. I was not good at the whole look at the monitor and draw somewhere else deal. But here he is in all his ugly glory, lol.
01/05/2010

This next one was drawn on paper first then scanned and colored later. It was a massive improvement but I knew it still needed work.
04/07/2011

This next update came to me after I created his theme song. It worked well with the jazzy sly tune.
02/26/2014

This last one is one I finished today. I decided to go back to my painting roots and try something a bit new.
12/02/2015

So there's Terence through the years. Let me know what ya'll think and what ya'll would like to see change.

Thanks,
Shataivian

Last edited:

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
DANG! I'm not going to lie, but that last one is really nice, especially with the dark background and those glowing eyes!

Shataivian

Nov 15, 2015
Idaho
www.furaffinity.net
Huh, I can't see the first two, not sure why there are problems.

Anyways that's quite an improvement, great job with the shading!
Thank you, love. ^_^ Anything you'd want to see improve?
[doublepost=1449167914,1449167834][/doublepost]
DANG! I'm not going to lie, but that last one is really nice, especially with the dark background and those glowing eyes!
Thanks, love. I think this is the first time I've really gotten the eyes to start to look like they're glowing. Anything you'd want to see improved?

Shataivian

Nov 15, 2015
Idaho
www.furaffinity.net
Honestly it's tough to go off of just one recent pic, maybe show off a variety of poses and angles?
That's fair. I'm working on another piece with him and his younger brother in it. I'll either post it tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get it done.

In the mean time I'll post this pic of the two fighting. It's just a quick sketch and color so it's not as detailed as I'd like it to be.

[doublepost=1449387554,1449176576][/doublepost]Tinetsu and Terence NOT fighting for once. This is using the same painting style I did for the last picture of Terence alone.

W0lfmare

Webcomic artist
Feb 10, 2015
VA, United States
w0lfmare.xepher.net
Personal Text
Floof advocate, and enemy of complacency
Man you must really like that blue lighting ^^

Honestly I'm having a hard time finding things to improve... Forgive me if it sounds like nitpicking.
The folds on Tinetsu's shirt look a bit off, especially around the rib area. And I think the smoke from Terence's mouth would look nicer if it dissipated as it got farther from his mouth.

Onto a few good things, I love how you draw the "calm" flames on Terence's hand! And I like the dirty texture of the cave ceiling.

It's really good overall, I'm curious to see more of their personalities and story.

Shataivian

Nov 15, 2015
Idaho
www.furaffinity.net
Man you must really like that blue lighting ^^

Honestly I'm having a hard time finding things to improve... Forgive me if it sounds like nitpicking.
The folds on Tinetsu's shirt look a bit off, especially around the rib area. And I think the smoke from Terence's mouth would look nicer if it dissipated as it got farther from his mouth.

Onto a few good things, I love how you draw the "calm" flames on Terence's hand! And I like the dirty texture of the cave ceiling.

It's really good overall, I'm curious to see more of their personalities and story.
I used cigarette smoke for the inspiration of both glowing smoke thingies. The hand one was to mimic smoke from a cigarette, for the one coming out of the mouth I thought the same as you, that it should start to disappear the further away from the mouth it got. But I could find any references that did that. Anytime I saw pictures of someone blowing smoke it looked more like a cloud. Maybe that's some sort of photography trick, cuz I do agree with you.

As far as the story, I'll see what I can do. Those two are brothers in our comic and they don't meet for a very long time. I could just start putting up some pages of our comic here, but it would take forever to get to the story of those two. I just really like their dynamic which is why I keep drawing them. I could do more with their personaliyies, I bet.
[doublepost=1452029975,1449399462][/doublepost]Some concept art. I've been practicing. Critiques?

W0lfmare

Webcomic artist
Feb 10, 2015
VA, United States
w0lfmare.xepher.net
Personal Text
Floof advocate, and enemy of complacency
Critiques? Let's see... I'd say the main thing is the lighting. The glowing light source in the background is a beautiful addition, but the shading on the characters doesn't feel like it matches the angle of the light source.

Keep up the good work, I hope you find this useful!

Shataivian

Nov 15, 2015
Idaho
www.furaffinity.net
Critiques? Let's see... I'd say the main thing is the lighting. The glowing light source in the background is a beautiful addition, but the shading on the characters doesn't feel like it matches the angle of the light source.

Keep up the good work, I hope you find this useful!
Yes. Funny I was having a hard time deciding on shading technique. When I started the piece, the shadows properly matched the light source, but this put the characters pretty much in complete shadow. But I agree now that it's done. I think ignoring the rules just makes you draw your eyes to it.