Reading Rainbow Kickstarter

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Zoie Falcona

Wild Kingdoms Dungeon Mistress
May 29, 2008
Home
zoiefalcona.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Support ALS research
For those who remember this program, LaVar Burton is trying to get Reading Rainbow put back on the air as well as available on the net and into classrooms FOR FREE! They have already met their initial goal (in less than 24 hrs no less) but would love to see it go much further so that kids can be inspired like I did to read and imagine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
*Looks at initial goal and days*
Yeah...they're going to reach $10 million by the end of this weekend.

Hopefully not kidding aside, I never really grew up with Reading Rainbow as I lived overseas. But I've heard of it and its amazing success rate in the classroom. I'm definitely backing this up right now! Thanks Zoie for the find.

Zoie Falcona

May 29, 2008
Home
Personal Text
Support ALS research
Wow O.O

In 3 days they did over 3 million and is only about 2 million away from their 2nd stretch goal to bring Reading Rainbow free to android, xbox, and so many other sources as well as free to over 7500 schools O.O

Rock-Scar

AKA Squeaky
Dec 14, 2013
R'lyeh's waiting room
Personal Text
*wilhelm scream*
This is awesome! I grew up with Reading Rainbow (I still remember the show's theme), so I'm thrilled that LaVar Burton is striving to bring it back. It also makes me really happy that they made 3 times their original goal. With a month left, I have a good feeling they are going to make the 5 million mark (hopefully even more)! Great find, Z!

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I wonder how much of the funding behind this is driven by intrinsic support for the program itself, and how much is pure nostalgia. I'm not saying there isn't substantial motivational overlap, and I'm also not saying that nostalgia is itself a bad thing, but it feels like the greater cultural trend of today is to reboot, revive and remix old content rather than creating new. Like probably 90% of the Katbox, I grew up with Reading Rainbow and I'll never say a bad thing about it. In fact, speaking more broadly, I think I'm stuck on nostalgia more than most people, and I'd be a hypocrite to decry any facet of past obsession. I just wonder why this decade seems to be increasingly defined by the various cultural artifacts of the '80s, '90s and (to a less extent) Aughts, rather than the material it creates itself.

Ironfoot

Prime Minister of Fun!
Jul 7, 2010
ironfootkb.deviantart.com
True cv but think about it this way, all decades are in some way defined by the past. Christmas music is largely from the 50s. How many car commercials are driven by music from the 70s? I think that reading rainbow is capitalizing on the fact that the people who watched it are now of age to have kids and are sad it is gone. They see it as something missing. If it had never left tv it would be similar to Sesame Street, a cultural touchstone. My own childhood might have been more boomer influenced if they had the ability we do to drag up the past. And this decade does have new things. Mo Willems is a hot new Seuss age author and I would guess his books are going to be a new standard for the 4-5. Music continues evolving, new technology. But TV is sold via advertising and since people born in the 70 and 80s are now of prime advertising age , we now see shows targeted at their nostalgia. Do I don't think your wrong that we are seeing plenty of nostalgia driven things, I am not sure how unique it really is.

Zoie Falcona

May 29, 2008
Home
Personal Text
Support ALS research
Last edited:

ChufferQ

Jan 15, 2019
In 3 days they did over 3 million and is only about 2 million away from their 2nd stretch goal to bring Reading Rainbow free to android, xbox, and so many other sources as well as free to over 7500 schools O.O