Peter & Company P&C #237: Mom's Classical Agenda

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
Jul 4, 2012
Virginia
www.peterandcompany.com
Personal Text
Half-frozen Sprite is the sweet nectar of life.

Okay, mom. Just who is this piano for, anyway?

This is something my mom actually admitted to me years after I had started taking lessons. Truthfully she loved everything I played, but she really loved it whenever I played classical pieces. So while she said it was important that I get a well-rounded training that covers classical music, IN REALITY she had a hidden agenda.

Not that I’m complaining, though! I actually grew pretty quickly to appreciate classical music (I freakin’ love me some Debussy and Chopin).

Ironfoot

Prime Minister of Fun!
Jul 7, 2010
ironfootkb.deviantart.com
Which Chopin? My favorite is the raindrop prelude.

And yes as someone who played an instrument (bassoon) parents always want you to play the fruffy stuff. It's never enough to toil away trying to figure out how to play the imperial march.

Feb 29, 2012
Never played an instrument, never wanted to play one, and never had a parent try to make me learn. I'd never be any good anyway, my mind is more left brain oriented...although I was beat up a lot as a kid because of my aptitude in math and science.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Oh man...I remember being forced to sing for my music class. Personally, I'm not a fan of actually playing music or singing it for that matter. I prefer to listen more than anything else really.

Kudos for the use of the word machiavellian by the way as that isn't really an easy word to use in everyday language. One question though...if classical is the math class of music, does that mean calculus is that creepy cousin that watches over you while you sleep then?

Lemurvid

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2014
Land of Tea
Personal Text
Close to the Edge
Okay, mom. Just who is this piano for, anyway?

This is something my mom actually admitted to me years after I had started taking lessons. Truthfully she loved everything I played, but she really loved it whenever I played classical pieces. So while she said it was important that I get a well-rounded training that covers classical music, IN REALITY she had a hidden agenda.

Not that I’m complaining, though! I actually grew pretty quickly to appreciate classical music (I freakin’ love me some Debussy and Chopin).
Your mum sounds pretty awesome, actually. And frankly, as someone who did a bit of piano learning once, it's learning Classical that shows you how music actually works, particularly Bach.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
Guess I was kinda weird, then, because I loved ALL music, including classical, when I was learning to play tuba. Throw some John Williams at him, and Peter will see things in a new light.
Also, @Leviathan , if you are good at math, then music is not beyond you. Music is all about the numbers, when you look at it close enough.

Feb 29, 2012
Also, @Leviathan , if you are good at math, then music is not beyond you. Music is all about the numbers, when you look at it close enough.
all the beating eventually took its toll (they usually hit my head or kidneys). Even though I accel at math I'm not capable of maintaining the information long after. If I tried to learn music I'd have to relearn it every few days, and that feels like a hassle.

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
Which Chopin? My favorite is the raindrop prelude.

And yes as someone who played an instrument (bassoon) parents always want you to play the fruffy stuff. It's never enough to toil away trying to figure out how to play the imperial march.
What, no "You Shook Me All Night Long"?