Character Nami and other Robot Girls: Gaining Magic

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Greetings Nami. I totally understand your point about you and other girls not wanting to be weapons and many of you simply wanting normal lives (whatever that means, especially in this world) but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that a number of the girls would be interested in getting magic powers? I mean, we already have some pretty formidable fighters among you that don't seem adverse to battle, not to mention that, well, Magic Powers, I can certainly say a lot of people would jump at the chance to have that, even with the present weirdness.

Aug 4, 2012
I'd like to know that too. I suspect that it has something to do with the responsibility they'd have to take up as the others would start to rely more and more on them...

In other words, if they got magic, denying their aid to the protagonist is something that I presume none of them would do... they have standard human morals as far as I know, and it they wouldn't just "get magic" and not feel obliged to use it to help the others.

What if they don't want all that action? What if they just want to... do whatever they spend all day doing? (Sage, do the girls have Hobbies? Pastimes? Sliding scale of human needs/wants versus robotic lack of needs/wants?)

If they all got magic powers as "standard editions" (for self defense and stuff), then I dare say that'd be okay with them, otherwise not all of them probably want to play Hero in this dangerous universe of theirs.

Nami

Katbox Comic Character
May 14, 2012
Yorktown, VA
yosh.katbox.net
Not the kind of magic they would be given at the price of using it. From my understanding, based on Axel's own reports, the "robot mages" aren't capable of conjuring magic like a mage. They use different orichalcum "circuits" to create magical effects. Mostly just elemental blasts. If it was any kind of magic, I can see some of the girls wanting it. However, since that isn't the case, you have to look at the down sides. Casting magic has to draw power from somewhere. The most obvious place is our own power core. Which are designed with a very specific balance in mind. After just releasing out limiter, we need to do a machine recharge which is very uncomfortable. Also as our power source gets closer to being totally drained, it get's painful. I don't think any of the girls want to risk a power loss shutdown just to throw some fireballs and lightning bolts. Not to mention having to get plugged in for hours every time they use magic.

I personally prefer our current combat techniques and the special weapons we are able to create through technology. If i want to shoot flames, I can get a flame thrower. Lighting? Arc cannon. Ice? Liquid helium grenades. Illusions? Holographic projectors. We'll get there, and It won't involve any hocus pocus.

Of course we have hobbies and we have similar needs that humans do.

Aug 4, 2012
Oh. It's a power issue. Contrary to the impression I had, it's more of a power transformer and storage unit then, instead of a generator?
You could get Shiden to do research into integrated Orichalcum generators. That being his main power source, he could try fitting and integrating one into your body as a main power source. It would make plugging in and recharging mostly unnecessary.

Don't worry, I think he'll shut you down for the operation.

I think you Robot girls would benefit from having an independent generator... it would allow you to use magic more easily (and recharge automatically) and might even give you magic absorption properties... I heard orichalcum transforms magic into other forms of energy.

Though I imagine crisis management takes priority over R&D...

Nami

Katbox Comic Character
May 14, 2012
Yorktown, VA
yosh.katbox.net
The power core does recharge itself with time and there are ways to offset the drain, but generally speaking it's a balance of power usage vs power generation. If we start casting spells it's going to drain much faster. Probably even faster than deactivating a limiter for a few seconds. Once the capacity goes down enough it is no longer balanced, it's using more power than it is generating, meaning we need a jump from another power source. The current scale for a generator capable of handling massive power consumption and able to regenerate that back on it's own is much too large to install inside and works best if stationary so a backpack like system would be less effective not to mention cumbersome.

Aug 4, 2012
A pity. But now we know to place at least one recharge unit in each FT Robotics branch, in case of emergencies.

Is there something like an emergency shutdown to stabilize energy levels? I'd hate for something terrible to happen when one of you passes the critical stage without a recharge unit nearby.

Shiden

Katbox Comic Character
May 14, 2012
Yorktown, VA
yosh.katbox.net
I think you are stepping more into my territory with your line of questioning. Also, it's best to start a new question and post in the subject who you are questioning. But yes, there is an emergency shut down, however, even that uses power to maintain the vital systems while everything non-essential is powered off. It could take weeks or months for a robot girl to regain enough power in that state to stabilize completely. There is a variable that is very hard to take into account, and that is the ambient magic of an area. Concentrations are higher in some areas and lower in others and the longer they spend in one of these areas, they might begin to cycle down or have an abundance of power.