1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Art Mr. AMP's Art Corner

Discussion in 'Community Works' started by MrAMP, May 26, 2014.

1. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    Hey there everybody!

I've been meaning to create one of these for the longest time now that everything has finally calmed down at work and what not. I decided to go ahead and create a unified art thread for all my drawings and digital coloring. Feel free to give me your honest and harshest criticism. And I really mean that. I want all of you to be more hypercritical in this area than all the judges on America's Got Talent, American Idol, and America's Next Top Model.

Update 5/26/14
    Line art and Hawke from Knuckle UP belongs to Mastergodai
    Time Spent: 3 hours (30 minutes a night for five nights).

Hawke-Back.gif

2. Captain Video

Captain Video Frontier Psychiatrist Staff Member Katbox Comic Writer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    "No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
    The shading contours are good but don't reflect a unified light source (or consistent multiple sources). How do you work for half an hour for five nights and get three hours?

3. jacobc62

jacobc62 The NASCAR Fan

Personal Text:
    Panthera tigris Nascuris (Bengal NASCAR Tiger)
    He's screws logic by using Mihari's time-traveling portals.

Looks good Mr. AMP! :happySnowman:

4. Ironfoot

Ironfoot Prime Minister of Fun!

Home Page:
    Especially unnerving for an accountant!

Love the red green color contrast though. It pops.

5. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    Yeah...I'll be first to admit that the light sources were not well thought out in this particular piece. I'll definitely focus more on this concept in the next piece.
    As for the time. I really spent 2:30 on this; however, I was interrupted during that time (0:30 per my Adobe Photoshop clock). I included that in my calculations.

Thanks Jacob!

YES!!! It worked. I used the red to contrast Hawke's green fur and thus draw the reader to Hawke immediately.

6. Aeri

Aeri Resident Resident spirit expert Gallery Volunteer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
    Although, You'd think the fact that hawke is the only thing asside from a fairly bland background (Which i assume is a bed) would do that :P

7. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    Now that I have time to suddenly sit down and write yet again, I decided to go ahead and post some of my stuff up here yet again. And to kick it all off, here’s Requiem of Loneliness featuring Miles from Las Lindas. This was actually inspired by a series of conversations with quite a few people stating that I have been slightly “insensitive” or “harsh” or “jerk”-ish towards him during the whole Character Battle and various Character Questions and that I should reconsider my stance by viewing his life through his perspective. So I went ahead and reread parts of Las Lindas that focused on his life and Learning Experience and Learning Curves to get a better idea of his life and why he is the way he is. After that interesting read, I sat down and wrote my thoughts which led to this. I don’t know why, but I employed Inner Turmoil Dialogue Writing Style. My apologies in advance if this writing seems rather dark as I only pumped out how I felt after reading his story. On the bright side, my opinion of him has increased from “Worse Character” to “Slightly Respected,” a plus two increase on my Five-Scale Character Rating. As always, feel free to leave your comments down here or via conversation!
    Requiem of Loneliness
    Featuring Miles

I was alone…
    I was always alone…
    Even when surrounded by friends, I was always alone…

College…the best years of our lives…
    A time to throw caution to the wind and party all night long.
    Back then, I was naïve to believe in that…that hard work pays off…that practice makes perfect…
    I had friends back then…people that I could count on…my bros…
    Yet I secretly resented each and every one of them.

Toby…the lion with a heart of gold...
    He constantly wore his heart on his shoulder and got all the ladies for it.
    Unfortunately for him, most of the babes were simply looking for a good time, not a commitment.
    I felt sorry for my main man until I found out that he’s sleeping with our teacher.
    How’s it fair to have a teacher in bed?

Davin…the king of all jocks…
    Ladies were throwing themselves at him left and right for a piece of that.
    And throughout all his life, he never once concerned himself with classes or grades or anything.
    Heck, the man could give a f&*% less if he graduated with any degree.
    He was already set for life.

Shin…The smartest and youngest of us all…
    For at the age of seventeen, he had four years under his belt.
    His determination and genius rivaled that of all our professors.
    He could’ve easily taught all those classes himself.
    What practice? He was already perfect.

I was alone…
    I was always alone…
    Even when surrounded by loved, I was always alone…

Hope…the girls of my dream…
    You were my everything back then…you were my first…
    In your eyes I saw my dreams, my future, my life with you in a blissful utopia.
    You were still with me despite the feelings you still had for Shin.
    I’m sorry for leaving…I’m sorry about Tiggs…

Mora…the whore-ish cow…
    You and I were simply playing the same game.
    You wanted a worker for your broken farm, and I wanted some action.
    Despite all the chaos, I’m still here with all these women.
    For that, I thank you.

Taffy…the naïve bunny…
    From the moment I saw you, I knew I could work my new persona on you.
    The bad boy renegade that doesn’t follow the rules sweeps in and saves the damsel.
    Looking back on it, I took advantage of your innocence and insecurity.
    For that, I am sorry.

I am alone…
    I am always alone…
    And until the day I die, I will always be alone…

But I…I do not want to be alone anymore…
    I want my happiness back! I want my pride back! I want my freedom back!
    But no matter how many times I try…No matter the effort applied…No matter the time spent…
    Life keeps knocking me down over and over and over again one blow at a time!
    So why…Why should I bother? Why should I work? Why should I even try?
    Because…

I am alone…
    I am always alone…
    And until the day I die, I will fight until I am alone no more.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 18, 2014, Original Post Date: Jun 17, 2014 ---
    I went ahead and decided to do yet another coloration of my favorite character from Knuckle Up, Hawke! I went back and studied the coloration of Hawke again this time. I also took the liberty of adding more detail to the shadows, especially the chest region as I was experimenting with the gradient. I took the liberty of studying several images from various artists, mostly KB. As for the shadow on the mattress, well I kind of did the lazy way of copying Hawke and moving it down and to the right a little.

Time allotted: 3 hours 30 minutes (5 nights of working on it).

Hawke-Front.jpg

As always, comments and brutal criticisms are welcomed.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 28, 2014 ---
    Hey there folks!

My bad for not updating this in awhile as I've been somewhat super busy as of late.

I decided to show how I normally progress in this process and decided to show three images at once. I first cleaned up the line art so that I can use Adobe Photoshop wand technique. I then added the flats. Finally, I did the shading.

Maid-Hawke.jpg

For the shading, I'm afraid I'm not too wild about the back hair or the maid dress. As always, all comments are welcomed.

8. Rock-Scar

Rock-Scar The Sentient Sediment

Personal Text:
    *wilhelm scream*
    Great Hawke artwork, MrAMP!!! You have been improving with each piece, man!

I just have a few comments: since the light source seems to be coming from the upper right corner, you probably don't need the shadow on the right-side of the left-leg and shadow on the right-side of the tail. You could even change those shadows into "highlights" to make the image pop even more (if you do that, you may need to add more highlights to the rest of the figure to stay consistant).

Keep it up!

MrAMP likes this.
  9. Lorien077

Lorien077 Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Another idea that might help the maid dress look more natural... don't be afraid to not use a true black! If you start with a dark gray instead (perhaps with a tint of color to it to help pull the piece together) you can apply shadows and imply more shape. I find true blacks to be more useful in dark pictures and in the inkwork, or else really stylized things.

Hope that helps, apologies if I was butting in. :)

10. Aeri

Aeri Resident Resident spirit expert Gallery Volunteer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
    I'm not sure why, but that doesn't strike me as a real-ish looking duster ._.

11. TheGentleman

TheGentleman The Dapper Gent

Personal Text:
    Where is the Dapper emoticon
  12. Cobrez

Cobrez The Guy

Personal Text:
    This text is personal to me
    All of your women are green... I love it.

13. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    Hm...I'm actually looking at this more and more by using myself as a model and using said light source. I kind of agree with you that the highlights might add a better level of depth here. I'll definitely go back and try that.

That too isn't a bad idea. I was initially concerned about adding too much black in here as I didn't touch any of the inks. The black part of the maid outfit was already done and is part of the line art.

And now for the next piece.

MiloMarkComicPage007.jpg

For those of you who aren't aware, Skidd has a bonus comic called Milo's Mark. The recent pages are done only in black and white now. As an experiment, I decided to go ahead and color it. Please note that I didn't add the white on Milo. I wanted to see how long it would take just to do the flats. Based on my time, it took 1 hour as I put each color selection on a separate layer.

Cobrez likes this.
  14. AranKirostok

AranKirostok Da Wolf

Personal Text:
    Once you die, you're dead
    She has time traveling portals?! I want 'em too :O

Also, lookin' good :3 And in pretty nice time I'd say. I remember one of mine that took me 21 hours XD But usually it's about 4-8 hours. I think I could've done a thread myself to be honest, but I don't know :v

MrAMP likes this.
  15. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    HEY ALL!!!
    My bad for not posting as of late, but extension tax season really kicked me in the rear this year due to the new changes. But enough boring tax talk.

Here's my newest rendering work. Line art is done by our very own @Kuurion for a Patreon pledge. Interestingly enough, this one came about thanks to VG Cats.

BRO-FIST!!!.jpg

This style employed the pen tool. Next time around, I'll be using nothing but a brush tool.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 25, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 25, 2014 ---
    Also, for clarification...Pete is from Our World (left dude). The right dude is my OC AMP!!! Weasel guy extraordinaire

16. AranKirostok

AranKirostok Da Wolf

Personal Text:
    Lookin' good.
    Also, I do both sketches and inking with plain, round brush ^^

MrAMP likes this.
  17. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    Normally, I upload KB fanart shading or art on here; however, I had to upload this one as it's one of my favorite characters from Games and Tails by @Tiger1001 .
    Here's Shari in her Zero Samus outfit!
    Shari-copy.jpg
    I'm not going to lie, I did tinker with the shading on this one. I'm...okay with it I guess. Probably need to focus more on shading and the anatomy of it instead.
    I hope you all enjoy it!
    Time: 3 hours

AranKirostok likes this.
  18. AranKirostok

AranKirostok Da Wolf

Personal Text:
    Lookin' good :3

19. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    As promised, I went ahead and conducted an experiment using only the brushes this time and not the pen tool I would normally use. I admit that I used quite a few references on the web and tweaked with it here and there. I also do not have a tablet and had to use it all in Photoshop standard.

Combined-Hug-Me.jpg

Here's my fur OC, AMP in one of those Hug Pillow styles done by @Mastergodai himself.

And because of the set up...
    :squintSnowman: Ladies...do you prefer beefcake...
    :handsomeSnowman: Or some cheesecake?
    :linesChrissy: :dropJazmin: :heartReiko:

20. AranKirostok

AranKirostok Da Wolf

Personal Text:
    Wait what. THIS without tablet o_O?

21. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    @AranKirostok

I did the rendering without a tablet yes. @Mastergodai did the line art as always.

For these two particular pieces, I decided that I would experiment by using only the brush tool. Unfortunately, as I was working on these two, I remembered that the brush tool in Photoshop has no sensitivity and tends to pretty much straight lines everything. To counter this, I employed the eraser tool with the same brush settings to add curvature to some of the lines.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 28, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 18, 2014 ---
    Okay...tax season is taking a bigger hit on my free time than anticipated. But fear not folks, I have brought you the awesomeness that is Steve!

Bust---Happy-Steve.gif
    This took 20 minutes with no tablet again.

AranKirostok and Rock-Scar like this.
  22. Cobrez

Cobrez The Guy

Personal Text:
    This text is personal to me
    Steve is a cool guy, I can tell.

MrAMP likes this.
  23. Rock-Scar

Rock-Scar The Sentient Sediment

Personal Text:
    *wilhelm scream*
    STEEEEEEEEVE!!!

*translation: I like. :happySnowman:

MrAMP likes this.
  24. Sheacka

Sheacka I like Pie

wow amazing inking

25. MrAMP

Personal Text:
    Hey there folks. My bad for not updating this gallery as of late as I've been awefully busy with tax season; however, now that it has ended I plan on updating this thread once every week with all the images I finish during the week. I'll also try and stream at around 10:00 pm on Picarto. If you like to come and watch and chat, feel free to follow me at .

And do to some confuison, I should clarify what I'm doing here. I'm only doing the rendering of the images, not the line art. To avoid future confusion, I'll name the person responsible for doing the line art.

So without any further ado, here are two images that I completed in the last week.

Templar AMP
    Templar-AMP.jpg

Assassin Creed Rogue's main protagonist was the inspiraiton behind this one. I will admit that the lineart was rather tricky to manipulate on this one; however, after applying a few tricks, I got the flats down easily. I decided not to apply shadows here as I thought it would be better to show the darkness of the scene.
    Line art done by Mastergodai

Rise AMP
    Rise-MrAMP.jpg

Okay, the inspiration for this one came from CAA. I decided to apply an airbrush technique on this one.
    Line art done by Mastergodai

Rock-Scar likes this.