Mr. AMP Goes to Alamo City Comic Con 2015

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Logo.jpg

Hey there all you happening folks on the Katbox!

This is Mr. AMP reporting to you live from some hotel in San Antonio on my adventures to Alamo City Comic Con. For those who don’t know what the Alamo City Comic Con is, please refer to this site right here.

Thursday’s Journey
Thanks to my employer’s lack of foresight in their policy, I was actually allowed to take this time off despite the convention being close to the partnership, C corporation, S corporation, and trust September 15th tax return deadline as it does not fall within the September 15th, 2015, through October 15th, 2015 deadline.

So while everyone at the office was facing this…
:amazeSnowman: *Girlish screams from a man.*
:crySnowman: Why…why do our own clients wait until the last minute to give us there stuff!?
:crySnowman: Why did I not ask questions sooner!?
:crySnowman: *Fetal position* Make it stop…MAKE IT STOP!!!

I was going like…
:happySnowman: Man, this is a long six hour drive.

It really was folks. Due to the shortest route that I got on Google Maps, I went through some pretty small TX towns. Seriously, the smallest town only had a population of 401 people.

When I finally got in and checked into the hotel, I emptied out my car and took my dad to one of his favorite restaurants…
Salt-Grass.jpg
This one isn’t one of those freestanding ones as it’s actually located on the river walk.
Inside.jpg
I saw about 15 boats go by while I enjoyed this meal.
Dinner.jpg
Sadly though, the food wasn’t that great. Beside it being too spicy with some weird herbs, they didn’t have the steak soup, a traditional item at all the other establishments. I told the waiter and the manager this and got both meals half off. I then retired to my hotel room for the night.

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Friday’s Activities

Hey there folks! I do apologize in advance for not getting this up sooner, but my pictures on the iPhone aren’t transferring to my laptop properly. Don’t worry folks as I still have some stellar images on my camera.

Based on what I’ve heard via the internet, I thought it best to get there two hours earlier, which so happened to be 9:00 am instead of 11:00 am. As you can see, it was a wise choice…
Image-1.jpg

I will say that I wasn’t impressed with the badge at all.
Image-2.jpg
Seriously, I can literally get this at any party store. They really dropped the ball on this one.

As soon as I walked in, I immediately noticed that this con was significantly different from any other convention that I’ve attended to date. It was more opened and centrally located than the others. It also was more family oriented than the others as they had cars, wrestling, kid zone, and so much more.
Image-3.jpg
Image-4.jpg
There was quite an interesting display of traditional watercolor and paint artists there too. I enjoyed watching them paint quite a few of my favorite Marvel and DC Comic heroes and villains.
Image-5.jpg
There were quite a few gamers, specifically card gamers and video gamers that were there showing their mad skills and sportsmanship. I got my butt handed to me multiple times in Super Smash Bros for the Wii U.
Image-6.jpg
They also had a massive statue displays that I got quite a bit of $25 coupons, key chains, and USB drives. Here’s an image of quite literally every statute they had on display here.
Image-7.jpg

After that display, I went ahead and further explored the rest of the convention, specifically the Artist Alley, Vendor Boulevard, Cosplay Professionals, Autograph Booths, and the convention center itself. The former four will be summarized in my Saturday post, but for now, enjoy some shots of the convention center.
Image-A.jpg
Don't let this fool you, but this is just Friday's activities. See Saturday's post for the real madness.

I spent quite a bit of time at the Guardian Knight Comics booth, talking to my good friend and fellow forumite @TonyG ! I bought a ton of neat stuff over there and got it signed by all the awesome artists there.
For those who don't know what Guardian Knight Comics is, then let me point you to their site so you can check out some of their awesome titles, such as Gears and Bones, Sanitarium, and Moon Streak.

Normally, on the first day of the convention, I normally just eye browse to see what is and isn't here and what I plan on buying and commissioning. Other than that, I did attend to panels, the first one was Art and PTSD, where Rosel Rodriguez teaches the tools that he learned to help cope and thrive with PTSD. The other panel I went to was Cover Artists Q&A, an intriguing discussion where I heard some fascinating stories of cover artist and the industry trend toward more athletically tone and less sexy female characters from Jamie Tyndall, Eric Basaldua, and Jason Metcalf.

Once the con ended for the day, I invited TonyG out to a nice dinner at the spaghetti factory with my dad. After a 20 minute delay due to my poor planning and directions, we finally made it there and enjoyed some We chatted for quite awhile going over the current trend in comics, the new Batman versus Superman movie, Forts in California and Florida, and those old Beetles (the car, not the insect) that are a hit in Mexico. We all retired to our respective hotel rooms for the night.

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WILL BE UPDATED TOMORROW HOPEFULLY

Last edited:

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Hey there all you Katbox people.

I would like to start off and apologize for not updating this until…Friday of all things. Yes, I know it’s a week late. I’m going to level here. This week kicked my rearend due to all the last minute business entities giving my firm their tax returns. Heaven freaking forbid that we’ve told each client this all at the…

Okay, I’m rambling on. Let’s get this bad boy finished up here!

Saturday
I didn’t arrive at the convention center until 9:30 am. That was a big mistake as…Well, look at this photo to see for yourself.
Image-#1.jpg
Yeah, that’s kind of the other thing that threw me off with this convention. Unlike the previous convention, this one actually has a time cut off. The convention actually opened at 10:00 am and closed at 8:00 pm on Saturday. So, getting there late did not help at all. Heck, I’m willing to admit that preregistering for this event did not help at all.

So after waiting for roughly 45 minutes, I actually was able to get inside to the actual convention itself. I took this time to actually buy whatever prints and merchandise I wanted to this time around as I mentioned before that the vast majority of stuff sold out within the first 30 minutes on Saturday as there was at least five if not six times the amount of people there. Don’t believe me? I have aerial photographic evidence thanks to the second level floor.
Image-#2.jpg
And I can see why it was so packed. There was some pretty sweet art and merchandise there on the convention floor itself.

For instance, Artist Alley had some pretty rad stuff from quite a few talented artists that actually worked in the industry, specifically the Marvel and DC Comic industry. There were so many cover artists there too I might add. That’s another noted difference between this convention and the others. Alamo City Comic Con is more of an actual comic convention, not an anime convention that I’m accustomed to. As a result, there was more comic oriented work, mostly Marvel and DC. So, Spiderman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Dead Pool were pretty much the dominated art and cosplay there. Popularity-wise, I believe it was a tie between Batman and Dead Pool.
Image-#3.jpg

Image-#4.jpg
I also noticed that everyone had this whole artwork on metal. Metal artwork is the proper name if memory serves correctly. I truthfully don’t see the appeal in it. It’s twice the price of a regular paper print and it’s metal. That’s it.

The merchandise was pretty rad too; however, it was super expensive! Seriously, there was a little Minion stuff animal for $20. I’m sorry, but that is too outrageous, even for me. It wasn’t bigger than three, maybe four, inches.
Image-#5.jpg
And man, what shocked me the most were the number of celebrities that came to the convention. There were so many actors, voice actors, artists, and writers from all sectors of the entertainment industry. I’m talking about Adventure Time, Sons of Anarchy, and the legendary Flash Gordon! I planned on getting some stuff autographed as they were supposedly $25; however, that was the average price stated on the website. The real autographs ranged from $35 to $50…an image! That means that three separate images would cost somewhere between $105 and $150.

Ironically, I didn’t see that many cosplayers this time around despite them actually having their own area. I learned later that there was a professional cosplay area in which one would actually have to pay to take pictures of them. I prefer the free, take pictures while walking around as they’re more crafted and engineered and sometimes hilarious.
Image-#6.jpg

Besides walking around, buying a ton of stuff, chatting it up with a couple of familiar artists, and taking a ton of photographs, I did attend three panels that day. The first panel was Cosability, a unique panel that showcased the ever-growing amount of comic book figures with special needs. I’d strongly recommend checking out their site at CosAbility.com. I then attended the panel that centered on the artist and writing team that brought us Doc Unknown and how they conquered the initial publishing hurdles with KickStarter and Indie Comics. The last panel I attended was Guardian Knight Comics. Behold the entire team that is in fact Guardian Knights and all their stellar comics!
Image-#7.jpg

Other than that, I did do one more thing Saturday. I attended an interview featuring…and you’re not going to believe this…STAN LEE!!! That’s right folks…STAN LEE!!!
Image-#8.JPG
For those of you who don’t know who Stan Lee is, please stop reading comics. I mean it. Seriously, stop reading comics and study up on the fellow. But seriously, Stan Lee has contributed quite a bit to the American comic book industry over the last 90 years! I planned on getting his autograph, but you had to buy something of his (cheapest was $25 ) and then pay an additional $85 to get him to sign it. But I was able to get roughly 100 plus images.

Final Update will be Saturday

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Alright folks! The final stretch is finally here!

Sunday’s Activities
I decided to not go to Alamo City Comic Con. Why? Well, as I mentioned before, the con opened at 11:00 am that morning. I had to work Monday, September 14, 2015, due to the September 15, 2015, deadline. It was roughly a six to seven hour drive down to San Antonio; therefore, I thought it best to go ahead and tour the city for the four hours before I got going. Sadly, my reservation at the Holiday Inn Express had a checkout of 10:00 am. Fortunately, my dad did some reconnaissance and research Saturday and found a parking garage for $14. We both walked for a little bit while heading to our first destination. I took a ton of photographs, some of which were in the middle of the street.
Image-#1.jpg

:pointsSnowman:
:squintSnowman: Don’t take photographs in the middle of the street folks.

After totally not being hit by a car, we both reached the first destination. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to…
THE ALAMO
Image-#2.jpg

Image-#3.jpg
Before anyone asks, I couldn’t take any photographs of the inside of the Alamo itself. Something to do with light or camera pictures destroying the artifacts or something. I…don’t get how though.

While heading over to the next destination, I took pictures of a parade of old cars.
Image-#4.jpg
They were rather neat. I later learned that this was a monthly ride for the old folks.

After getting lost twice for the next tourist attraction, we finally reached…
THE RIVERWALK

For those who don’t know what that is, it’s basically a thirty-minute boat ride along a natural and man-made river all within San Antonio. I took a ton of photographs of some famous San Antonio landmarks.
Image-#5.jpg

After a nice ride, we decided to head on home. But don’t worry folks, I won’t forget about the most important pictures.

THE STASH
Image-#7.jpg

Final Thoughts
For the most part, I had fun at Alamo City Comic Con. I was able to meet up with a few friends of mine from college, checked out some amazing art and panels, took photos of some famous people and Stan Lee, bought a ton of comics, and went to some amazing tourist sites. Aside from the wrist band serving as a badge, my only real complaints include the late hours of operation and the fact that this really centered more on Marvel and DC comics rather than anime. Honestly, I would probably not go back to this one. That doesn’t mean you should all check it out one day.