Las Lindas LL Game

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
Hi Oh! I wanted to run this by you guys and get your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.
I've got a game toolkit/engine I'm familiarizing myself with and I've kicking around in my head the idea of making a Las Lindas game in the process. I'm not an artist, animator, or sound guy. Just somewhat of a programmer(in school) who wants to give something back. :XDRandal:

Alright, here's what I had in mind. Since I don't have any resources, and this is fan made, I thought I would go for a point and click adventure game using the comic and emote icons from the forum for resources. Taking on the role of the LL cast members you guess the correct emote response for the particular story scene, which will reveal the text hidden behind an overlapped speech bubble and progress that characters story-line.
I was thinking of going up the the end of the first arc(up to the point with the fireworks) but that might be a bit much unless I can figure out more or better interactivity for the players (which is what I'm mostly concerned about :dropMiles: ). Its also why I'm familiarizing myself with the engine.

The engine I'm using is the full version of Construct 2(video links below). Its a simple but deep/complex drag and drop type game maker which codes the games in html5.
Make HTML5 Games with Box2D Physics
Construct 2 - Layers
Construct 2 - No Programming Required

Update: Playable Beta of Game: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94263179/LL Game/index.html

Last edited:

Curran

ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Washington
Honestly, the best advice I'd give you (or anyone doing fan work for that matter) is to not worry so much about gathering feedback before you do anything. Make what you want to make and what you think is best, then get our feedback from there. I find if you spend a lot of time trying to get opinions, you'll never really be happy with what you make. Just go for it, man. :gleeCurran:

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
We're still waiting for the Miles RPG.
The Miles RPG? This is the first I've heard of it, who is making it?
Wait... is that that April fools thing?

Btw, Ive got page to page navigation scrolling somewhat working(arrow keys, mouse position) and page up/down only kinda working (arrow keys, mouse wheel, mouse position) so far. Gonna try and figure it out to make it work better/correct, add click-able objects/buttons, add click and drag up/down page scrolling, and try and fix a glitch im getting from the page size difference next.
Once that's done and I'll start on the game aspect of things, cuz then I can find whats most comfortable. =P

Hit one problem thats potentially a big one, file size. Already at 8mb single project file only using the first 11 pages. This means after the whole 183 pages would roughly be around 20mb not including game assets in the end, which for servers is a lot of bandwidth. I could compress the images but then I'd have to choose between sacrificing image quality and/or image dimension size(which means I'd also have to resize everything else in the game). I can also not make the game go quite as far into the story, upload it to site for download to run locally.

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
Heres a very early Alpha build release for you guys. It doesn't have any of the planned game elements/aspects of it yet but you can click on the covered text areas to reveal the text/story underneath.

Update: I Immediately noticed a couple of bugs I forgot to fix before I uploaded, so went back and did. New link below.
Oh and controls are arrow keys, mouse position, mouse wheel, and left click. This is also only the first chapter (pages 1-11).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94263179/LL%20Game/index.html

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
[quote author=Kitsune-Realm link=topic=9890.msg222987#msg222987 date=1343550126]
Looks promising! its a little annoying you have to scroll down to see the rest of the page, wouldnt it be possible to see the whole page? :gleeKate:
[/quote]It is but then I'd have to shrink the comic's size to fit(which would make it frustrating to try and click on parts of the game, as well as trying to reading some parts of the story unless your on an HD screen) or increase the canvas size(which would still require you to scroll down using your browser anyway). :dropMiles:

Unless a lot of you guys really don't like the scrolling(or its broken somehow and can't be fixed, which is possible) or you guys really want it the game for like a touch based device like iOS, Andriod, or Win8(iOS and Android support still in development), I'll probably stick with either mouse, arrow key, or button click(still working on it) scrolling unless someone has a better idea. Plus imo its part of the adventure when you have to go back and find things you missed, or have become unlocked, or missing story lines later in the game. :XDMora:

Btw Im still trying to figure out how I'm going to break up the story so you dont' just go in order start to finish so you have character story lines...

Thanks for the feedback! This kind of stuff is great this early on, keep it coming! :heartMiles:

Update: OK never mind, I'm an idiot. I can probably make it happen with parallaxing :blushMiles:. Set it so left mouse click or something zooms out to view full image. It might take some time before I figure it out but I think its doable. Expect it in an upcoming alpha release.

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
Minor update: Ive added to ability to view full page but its horribly broken and in the process have broken vertical wheel scrolling and arrow key scrolling for both views. On the plus side I'm closer to getting the GUI(Graphical User Interface) working on a test game but its still a long ways away.

Thats all for now, laters.

We're still waiting for the Miles RPG.
The Miles RPG? This is the first I've heard of it, who is making it?
Wait... is that that April fools thing?
As I said on the topic, due to the fact that my Notebook PC is being repaired, the project is on hold until I get it back. Not to mention I'm still looking for a sprite artist for the project.

The April fools thing was only a joke on non existing content (like the Yaoi option I lied about).

blazah99

Katbox Forum Member
May 7, 2012
Ocean View Hawaii
Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the game link still works. I haven't touched it in ages and upgraded to a new computer since then(also looks like I reverted the game back a bit).
Well I dont think I'm any better at the engine than I was then (haven't used it much) but I know its gotten better lol. It turns out Im not the self starter like I'd like to be, but I am thinking its a good to try again, perhaps something different this time.
I doubt I'll get much feedback on an old dead thread like this so I guess Ive got nothing to loose, not that I did before, but saying/typing it aloud feels good =D. I wonder what I can do now lol.