Las Lindas LL Fanfiction Contest Redux

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
(Warning Warning, massive wall-o-text ahead)

I'm baaaaaack!

I bet you though you were all rid of me, well I'm ever so sorry to disappoint, but Meracanus is back from his extended vacation revised (Now Merac 2.0) and with more to contribute than ever.

So, Let me start things off with something big and profound: a contest of epic proportions!

See, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away there were hopes of a fanfiction contest for all us wordsmiths out there, but sadly it never made it it to fruition. Friends, Roman's, Countrymen, I give you a New Hope!

(Cue Star Wars Music)

:pointsTina:

Yeah, I just had to do that :XDNekoKimi:

Anyways, on to the topic of this thread. I was among one of the many who really wanted to see a fanfiction contest exist, so I've decided that if I really wanted it then I should do everything in my power to make it happen. So, here I am, volunteering to host my own version of a LL fanfiction contest.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to enter, except for myself and another friend of mine who will be a second judge. Content will be focused on the comedic, and compositions should stay within the range of one to two pages. As much as I would love to see someone's hilarious arrogance by entering the contest with one sentence, I must ask you to refrain. :XDNekoNekonny:

Judging will be done primarily by myself, and a second friend of mine in the real world. We've both been best friends, and classmates, in more than a few of our University English classes. Ideally I am hoping to have a three judge panel, so, unless I manage to wrangle another of my friends to come along for the ride, I am offering the position to anyone who would like to apply. Also, I realize that not everyone among us feels as confident about their writing as their peers, so for anyone who would like to enter the contest but isn't quite sure if their content is up to snuff I offer my services as a grammar and spell-checker as well.

Topics will be generated by the three judges, me, my friend, and whoever the third might be, and there will be three of them, to offer some variety and choice. We will try and keep each topic rather general to allow for the most creativity on your part. An example of this would be: "Minos gets fed up with their feud and puts Mora and Rachael in the same room to work out their problems, and then...." Also, I don't plan to release the topics until everyone has confirmed their entry. Wouldn't want any of you taking head starts now, :XDTaffy:

I don't have much to offer as a humbled user, and even less when you consider that I haven't a fraction of the artistic skill that Chalo has; however, there will be a prize. It may not be much but it will be something that (I think) will benefit both you the winner, and everyone here. The winner can choose whichever bonus comic he/she particularly favors and I will donate $250 into that fund. If my math works out right, that turns into...uh...five pages!

As for any other fine details I should be addressing but haven't yet, well that is another purpose of this thread; it's primary purpose of course to discuss and coordinate this contest. So, with that said, let the discussions begin. This post is officially WAYYYY too long. :XDMora:

And even though I say that I still feel the need to make it even longer!

As I said later on in this thread, I'm going to be keeping track of everyone who officially wants to enter the contest. Say in a post whether or not you're entering and I'll mark you down on this list.

So far, we have such memorable forumites as:

• Jaffah
  • videogame30
  • Curran
  • meiameia
  • White Tiger
  • Hiro
  • Ghostbane
  • ShinigamiMiroku
  • Beelzebub (I'm assuming...unconfirmed)
  • Sanji (I'm assuming...unconfirmed)

Jaffah

Alejandra's #1 Tiger
Mar 5, 2008
Ipswich Queensland Australia
www.furaffinity.net
Personal Text
Don't judge unless you enjoy being judged.
Okay, I will try my hand at this.

I am not sure what more there is to discuss but after reading through it all I can see this work. Having a topic set may sound like it will limit a writers imagination but it also means honing it to a certain degree. I know that while I have written decent stories very few can be seen as true fan-fiction so I will see this as an opportunity to expand on what I have done so far.

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
I'd love to try this, but I can't really get into the heads of the LL crew, especially with my focusing on my Brawl fic (centered on Snake). Maybe if I have some lightning-strike of inspiration, I'd be able to pop something out... :cryAlex:
Try not to worry, Shin. Remember, there's going to be three topics, so I'm sure at least one of them will appeal to you and "spark" some interest :P

I understand where you guys are coming from, but think of this as opportunity to test out another of your untapped skills. You're not alone here. I bet several of the forumites right now are looking at my post and wondering the same thing: "how am I gonna write something?" The point of this contest is to draw out the writer in all of us. If you ever liked writing fanfiction then you should enter this contest, I think. I want this to draw out the author in all of us. The 1-2 page story is simply an introduction to the world of fanfiction, and an introduction to a fan's own writing skills.

Beelzebub

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 21, 2007
New Jersey
I'm so on this!

Comedy eh? So, no other criteria? Not even a sub genre? Hmm....I think I have an Idea.

What about a rating? G, PG, PG-13, et cetera...

Jaffah

Alejandra's #1 Tiger
Mar 5, 2008
www.furaffinity.net
Personal Text
I'm so on this!

Comedy eh? So, no other criteria? Not even a sub genre? Hmm....I think I have an Idea.

What about a rating? G, PG, PG-13, et cetera...
I would assume the genre would depend on the topic and perhaps left to the writers best judgement. Common sense certainly applying to rating as we should all know what is acceptable at the moment. This too could be covered by the topic outlines.

After all writing too is an artform that allows for creativity, and contests are design to see how creative we can be within the limits given.

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
Right now I personally can't see a foreseeable issue sprouting up if I let you guys have total freedom when it comes to content. I'm sure that a comedic story isn't going to call for sexual content and / or gratuitous swearing, and I'm sure you all know how to be politically correct :P

Outside of that I don't there'll be any problems, though some example would always be welcome. I know I've hardly covered all the bases here.

Beelzebub

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 21, 2007
New Jersey
Right now I personally can't see a foreseeable issue sprouting up if I let you guys have total freedom when it comes to content. I'm sure that a comedic story isn't going to call for sexual content and / or gratuitous swearing, and I'm sure you all know how to be politically correct :P

Outside of that I don't there'll be any problems, though some example would always be welcome. I know I've hardly covered all the bases here.
Okay, Open ended! Now to go with "Miles Becomes A Rider" or "The Dungeon Dames enter a TSR module"...hmm...

Beelzebub

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 21, 2007
New Jersey
Am I a bad person if I don't get any of those jokes? ^_^;
Okay, TSR is the company that made the first dungeon and dragons adventures (The Tomb of Horrors, Barrier Peaks, White Plume Mountain, and so on)

By Rider, I mean Kamen Rider. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I suppose i'll go with the dungeon dames one if you are not into the series.

neocloud88h

Katbox Forum Member
May 5, 2007
Arizona
Sorry Meracanus, after what ya told me in PM I would enter but I don't think I'm going to have time with all of the other projects currently on my desk. I hope it works out though!

Curran

ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Washington
Well, I wonder, is it okay for me to enter? After all, I have a decided interest and possible conflict amongst everything, especially with your promised Knighthood donation.

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
[move]WARNING, MASSIVE WALL-O-TEXT AHEAD. WARNING, MASSIVE WALL-O-TEXT-AHEAD. WARNING, MASSIVE WALL-O-TEXT-AHEAD. WARNING, MASSIVE WALL-O-TEXT-AHEAD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW ANNOYING THIS MARQUEE WAS TO SPACE OUT.[/move]

Well, I wonder, is it okay for me to enter? After all, I have a decided interest and possible conflict amongst everything, especially with your promised Knighthood donation.
Of course you can enter, Curran. I leave the contest open to anyone and everyone, well, except for myself of course. As much as I would love to, I suspect it would lead to more than a few claims of "conflicts of interest." Maybe next time guys ;)

So come one, come all, anyone who wants to enter can, and is in fact invited to. Why, even our resident overlords, the Big Three, may enter on their whims :P

Oh, yes, and for those of you who don't yet know what it is that Curran's talking about, I'll enlighten you. Many of you already know that he is captaining the latest bonus arc to grace our Las Lindas community: Knighthood. What you may not know is how touched I was by his amazing rise to stardom. In light of his fledgling enterprise taking such an ambitious approach, I decided to do something a little extra for him and this contest.

The winner of this contest, as you know, decides which comic I will donate the $250.00 to; however, I decided that if any of you should take home the trophy and choose to pick "Knighthood" as the recipient of this hefty injection of funds, to give Curran that much more of a boost I would commit to donating an extra $50.00, bringing the total up to $300.00, and six pages!

So come on, guys, I wanna see the creative juices start flowing, and I want some more buzz around the forums! We'll even get drunk if we have to!

..................<crickets>..................

Ok, maybe not the best joke, but you get my point. Rah!! :furyNekoKimi:

And, on another note. Neo, don't start worrying yet. I'm not going to start the contest right away. Relax, you've got some time to sort out things. If you truly are going to be too strapped for time to contribute, then that's perfectly fine. But if there's even the slightest chance that you can enter this thing, I want you to go for it. So, take a couple days, figure out your business from your pleasure (God knows it's hard enough for me :XDNekoNekonny:) and get back to us then. Hopefully things'll work out alright.

And on EVEN ANOTHER note, I think this thread could use some more life to it, more talk, more gab, more chutzpah! So, why don't I give us something talk about, hmm?

I know you're all soooo concerned about what the topics are going to be, so why don't we work out a compromise. Bounce your ideas off of me, brainstorm. Let's see how creative I need to be to make this interesting :gleeTaffy:.

And, who knows, I may just pick one or two of your ideas to be actual contest topics. Maybe a wildcard category for ties ;p

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
In that case, since this is your show and you say its okay, I'm in.
Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. I am calling the shots. Yeah, it's my party and I'll cry if I damn well want to.... Wait, wrong song for the occasion :P

And I just thought of a good contest topic. Of course I can't use it if I tell you guys, but this is just to get your ideas percolating. Imagine this:

Sarah is out trying to play the flute Idward gave her for her birthday, hoping maybe she'll be able to call some spirits to her. Enter two nymphs and what do you get?

Alright, maggots, I wanna see some brainstorming front and center. Let's go go go! :furyNekoKimi:

Sanji

Tiggs' #1 Cook aka #1 fan
Apr 26, 2007
Texas
Personal Text
Always do the best you can, if you fail then just try harder.
A contest topic could turn out rather boring >.> Seeing how all the stories will be a bit similar.

Jaffah

Alejandra's #1 Tiger
Mar 5, 2008
www.furaffinity.net
Personal Text
A contest topic could turn out rather boring >.> Seeing how all the stories will be a bit similar.
Not necessarily so, an idea seen by different people can yield different results. Having a topic ie topics set also allows some measure of control by the one running the contest without having to suddenly answer a pile of questions about things they weren't expecting.

videogame30

Professional Zombie Bait
Dec 7, 2007
West Virginia
www.furaffinity.net
Well, I guess I'll give this contest a shot. I know I'm probabably the least qualified writter (if it's even safe to call me a writter,heh). But I'm confident that my skills as an amateur writer will at least provide a readable piece of work.

As for a topic, tootsie sneakes onto the farm to spy on the denisens, all the while trying to avoid the ever watchful eye of Digit.

Meracanus

Mar 29, 2008
Canada
So I have a question, is that the contest topic? Or will you be releasing it later on?
Oh, I'll be releasing them later on. This is just a sample to, as I said, bounce some ideas off of and get your creative juices flowing, and also to give you an idea of what the real topics will look like.

And not to worry Sanji. As I said in the first MASSIVE WALL-O-TEXT there will be three topics.

As for a topic, tootsie sneakes onto the farm to spy on the denisens, all the while trying to avoid the ever watchful eye of Digit.
And as you can see from Vid30's reply, I'm also accepting ideas for a forumite suggested topic. Especially if it's one that sounds like it could be a particularly fun one to talk about.

Case in point: I think Digit is the last person Tootsie would have to worry about. She would probably have some elaborately built robot-Don Juan built so's he could distract Digit and take her out on a date, and hilarious cuteness would follow :gleeTaffy:

OR! Maybe Digit's actually about to catch on to Tootsie sneaking around the farm, when Din and Jin launch a surprise attack on her to incapacitate her and finally allow them to be free to run amok, and THEY discover Tootsie. Hoh!! Would they ally with her for combined Shenanigans, OR would they continue on their rampage and prank her until the morning came!

The possibilities are endless!!

videogame30

Professional Zombie Bait
Dec 7, 2007
West Virginia
www.furaffinity.net
Case in point: I think Digit is the last person Tootsie would have to worry about. She would probably have some elaborately built robot-Don Juan built so's he could distract Digit and take her out on a date, and hilarious cuteness would follow :gleeTaffy:
Hmmm, I guess I forgot to put Tootsie's remarkable knowledge of all things science into acount. And yes, I can clearly see how Digit on a date would provide a big dose of cute. :gleeSarah: Probably the one person Tootsie would have to be the most wary of, would be Minos. It would probably be very difficult to fool him.

OR! Maybe Digit's actually about to catch on to Tootsie sneaking around the farm, when Din and Jin launch a surprise attack on her to incapacitate her and finally allow them to be free to run amok, and THEY discover Tootsie. Hoh!! Would they ally with her for combined Shenanigans, OR would they continue on their rampage and prank her until the morning came!

The possibilities are endless!!
OR! Tootsie is discovered by Digit, who then puts the farm on high alert and activates a bunch of security devices she instald (much to Mora's chargin) to keep Tootsie from escaping, thus she is forced to use her brains and her stealth to find a way to escape while avoiding the watchful eyes of EVERYONE! :XDSarah: