1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We're putting the spotlight on great community members! First person to be recognized for their effort: MrAMP!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic LL #523: Follow Me

Discussion in 'Chalo's Works' started by Captain Video, Jan 15, 2017.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, who's to say he's entitled to his dream, as it currently is? The point that Rachael is trying to make is that his goal is unrealistic and a little short-sighted. Let's break it down:

He wants to live without roots and obligations, and fly around the world in a plane. It definitely sounds fun and fulfilling, but does he have the money for housing and food, while he's flying? What about maintenance and fuel for the plane? If he doesn't have this money saved up in advanced, how is he going to pay for all of this? If he just 'ups and leaves' the farm, there goes his paycheck.

Just because something is your dream doesn't, by default, make it feasible or realistic. However, it can be adapted and become a reality, with some planning, and Rachael probably thinks he hasn't carefully planned this.

Just being happy with your day-to-day life doesn't mean you don't have aspirations for something more. Look at Taffy: she's relatively happy providing for the farm and living the life she has, but she's had aspirations, too -- namely wanting to become a chef. Just because that went belly-up didn't mean life was over, as she knew it. She picked herself and found something to live for, even if it wasn't her pipe dream.

If Miles wants to have a working plane that he can fly, then great! It can be a hobby and, heck, maybe Mora will pay him handsomely to use it for dusting the crops or carrying shipments. However, just because he can't achieve everything that his pipe dream entails doesn't mean he should just give up on everything in his life, currently.

Frankly, if Miles were to give up on everything in life just because he has an unrealistic pipe dream, then that says more about him than it does about the people around him.

2. XiahouDun1225

XiahouDun1225 Katbox Forum Member

Dude he'd been literally beaten down for almost the entire comic.

3. SomeDudeJoe

SomeDudeJoe Katbox Forum Member

Oh, joy. The return of the "I wanna fly around the world" spiel...

4. Radagast

Radagast Gallery Volunteer

To go into analogy for a minute, how would you characterize someone who gifted courtside basketball tickets to HR shortly before HR was due to evaluate their performance? Of a tech company offering free trips to the people it knows are reviewing its products? While I doubt that Miles explicitly planned anything like that, suddenly showering Rachael with gifts and then seeking affirmation from her comes off similarly as attempting to "buy" a particular opinion.

Heck, growing up, I remember the idea being showcased on an episode of Smart Guy. Long story short, the main character (A very young Taj Mowry) was consulted about what computers his school should get. So the major competitors started showering him with gifts to influence his decision, and he goes along with it. When asked about the companies he started to talk about how nice the representatives were and what they had given him. He is then told to forget about the representatives and their gifts and judge solely on the product he admits that the winner was actually a third company that he never mentioned before because they only gave him a keychain (which actually had a key to a Jaguar attached). It's the exact same principle.

A related concept is "buttering someone up", which entails flattering or treating someone especially nicely in hopes of receiving special favors. This variation in particular has become well known enough that it is often mocked for its transparency.

"Pancakes? Ok, what are you after?"
    "What? Can't a guy make a nice breakfast for his roommates once in a while?"
    "A guy? Sure. You, however, never do it unless you're angling for something."
    "My friend, you wound me! ...Buuuuut, since you mention it...."

"Has anybody ever told you how unappreciated your job is?"
    "Only when they want me to use it to screw someone else over, but keep talking."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. XiahouDun1225

XiahouDun1225 Katbox Forum Member

Is...Everyone forgetting that they've been getting closer, and this is by no means "out of the blue" and completely in context of the situation it's been leading up to? I mean, the entire build up people've been cheering for Miles to get torn right back down.

6. Radagast

Radagast Gallery Volunteer

Nope. Getting closer does not make this any less atypical. Social interaction is not a binary comprised of friends and enemies. It's a broad spectrum of variation. I consider myself friendly with a lot of people. Some of them get gifts on their birthday, some get cards, some of them get a simple "happy birthday". Substantial gifts tend to be limited to very close friends (like we've known each other all our lives close) and family. This is most easily understood in the context of a budget. I've got a friend, for instance, whose Christmas budgets usually go on the scale of around $25 for good friends, $35 for his best friend and extended family members, and $50-$60 for each member of his nuclear family.

Miles and Rachael have gotten friendlier, yes, but by all appearances they're "friends at work" level, which does not usually entail lavish gifts. See again the pancakes example wherein the players are friendly but spontaneous generosity is still viewed with suspicion.

I would also like to take a moment to object to your characterization of us "cheering for Miles to get torn right back down". I, for one, want nothing of the sort. I want to see him climb up, make actual progress. That does not necessitate that I support his attitudes, ventures, plans, or strategies. Quite the contrary, in fact. If I want to see him make actual progress, I should be honest about his faults, critical of his mistakes, and I should understand how he can do better.

In Miles' ambitions, for instance, I see a pattern I've seen many times in the past and even fell into myself once or twice. Short version there is that he loves the high concept but hasn't considered the obstacles in his path, nor is he taking steps to overcome those obstacles. He wants to fly? Cool. Does he actually have any flight experience? Is he studying to obtain a license to fly? How does he expect to apply that towards earning a paycheck? Stunt flyer? Crop duster? Cargo pilot? Does he know people who can help him line up a job? Does he understand the expenses of maintaining and fueling his plane? Of storing the plane? Using the airstrips?

That is not me trying to rain on his parade, that's a necessary reality check of what he needs to consider if he wants to turn his dreams into a reality. Without considering them he is no different from the kid who wants to be a Video Game Designer but has never taken a modelling/rigging/animation/lighting or coding class. Hell, I've known people who very nearly made a similar mistake in buying a boat without proper consideration. For that matter, I've had my own stint where I started angling for a career that sounded cool to me without truly understanding what it entailed. When I actually started taking steps towards it I realized that I hated the work I was going to end up doing in that career. So as you might imagine I'm quite familiar with the mistake of being enamored of an idea without doing due diligence on what it entailed. And that makes me quite critical when I see people falling into that pattern. Not because I hate them, not because I want them to give up, but because I don't want to see them make the same mistake and want to be sure they know exactly what they're getting into.