1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic LL #523: Follow Me

Discussion in 'Chalo's Works' started by Captain Video, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Captain Video

Captain Video Frontier Psychiatrist Staff Member Katbox Comic Writer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    "No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
    [​IMG]

It's a little thing, but I've always liked the way the skyline of Gossamer looks. Cities always used to look like this in science fiction of the 1950s and '60s and '70s. After that it just turned into gritty cyberpunk stuff, because that seemed "truer" to a lot of people than having buildings three miles tall made of gold. But I like the kind of background optimism of Gossamer. It was one of the first things I noticed about Las Lindas, and one of the first that endeared it to me.

2. Radagast

Radagast Gallery Volunteer

Personal prediction: she's going to show him a less fortunate part of town. People without jobs, people without homes. People who are "free" from the daily grind that many of us are lucky enough to have the luxury of resenting. That has always been a major point of difference that I've seen between Rachael and Miles. Miles seems to romanticize the life of a vagabond, someone who wanders from place to place without being tied down by a home or job. Rachael (and Sarah) actually lived that life and knows firsthand the hardships that come with it, and which Miles has (in all probability) overlooked.

Rock-Scar and KarlSupreme like this.
  3. Slaughts

Slaughts Forum Field Marshal Gallery Volunteer

This is my prediction too. From what we've read about Miles' background and family history, it doesn't sound like he's ever seen that side of life and would be kind of a shock to him.

4. DNMZ

DNMZ The Golden Lynx

Well this is actually looking like it will end well, the two of them definitely seem to be getting closer but I wouldn't say in a romantic way though. This is kinda surprising. I also think Rachael is going to show Miles what is free life would actually look like and it probably isn't going to look to good. Now a series of questions. First what's that tower thing we can see in the distance? It looks kinda like a temple. Do you think the two if them will go flying around the world someday? And if so will it be as lovers or just friends? I think this has been asked before but does Miles just look better with his hair loose? Lastly wasn't Knighthood suppose to update this time?

5. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

I can somewhat see Miles' point of view about wanting this so-called 'real freedom'. I think anyone who's ever worked a dead-end job (e.g., fast-food cook, pencil-pusher in an office) can relate to him, in this instance. However, I also think that Miles is romanticizing a lot of this; he wants his idea of freedom, which he's built up in his mind. Sure, there are some people who share this vision and they chase after it in their own way (e.g., own and live in an RV, backpack and live as a vagabond), but, once again, I think he's talking to the wrong person about all of this.

As others have said, Rachael is someone who lived on the streets for a while. In addition to having no real roof over her head, she had to constantly be looking out for Sarah and the two of them had to lie, cheat, and steal in order to survive. If I were in Rachael's shoes, I wouldn't be taking for granted this new life on the farm; having someplace safe and warm to stay, three hot meals a day, and a job with a paycheck trumps the rough vagabond life any day of the week. I imagine it must be ludicrous, to her, to hear someone like Miles go on about this idea of 'real freedom'.

I agree that it'd be neat for Rachael to show Miles what the vagabond actually looks like. However, I don't know if that'd actually convince Miles to appreciate his current life -- imperfections and frustrations included -- or it'd just crush his spirits and leave him wallowing in self-pity. I mean, if he's built himself up this much, and dedicated all that time and effort to restoring the plane, then Rachael giving him a 'reality check' might just be earth-shattering, for him.

6. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Is that huge citadel in the back ground where Lady Ambar lives?

Anyway,I can somewhat relate to Miles about having a "Free life" with the chains of school and a job but..that's the down side...No job,no money,no means to sustain yourself. And I think this is what Rachael will show Miles...The "free life" without jobs and other vital parts to survive in the modern world.

As we saw in the previous page with Miles' reaction I think It's safe to say his world view in general has shattered and now Rachael showing hum the cold hard truth about a Vagabond life will
    shatter what remained of his dream leaving nothing but an empty husk where his dream was.

7. Lumaria

Lumaria Katbox Forum Member

Vagabond lifestyle is perfectly fine, you just need a great small arms skill, and a few other cyberpunk skills and you are good to go. I just hope Rachel doesn't go showing Miles the secret to kidnapping little girls. Thats a skill he can do without. He needs to spend his character points on save vs snu snu.

Not bad overall but hard to believe that Miles went from so barrier forming to breaking back down spilling his personal thoughts from one page to another. But alas comic stories must progress and a faster than realistic rate. I really doubt seeing homeless people will change him, if he has no idea on their situation or struggles then he never had TV. If prime society has no empathetic programming on different economical ranks in society then I would feel like the world or government in general has some form of censorship like no other. Its hard to believe people are so oblivious to worldly circumstances that its cartoon style discovery.

8. DNMZ

DNMZ The Golden Lynx

You know there is all this talk about what a vagabond life is like, maybe we should just call one and ask? Anybody know how to get in touch with farron.

9. Teendmax

Teendmax Katbox Forum Member

I agree he is talking to he wrong person. First of all while he may have over romanticized his life of freedom it is not entirely impossible. That are careers that would allow him to live the life he wishes such as being a day trader, entrepreneur, content creator, and freelancer that related to his skills and interest just to name a few. While their is a possibility of failure I believe that it is better to have at least tried rather a life being forced to settle because your constantly reminded of someone else is less fortunate. I don't mind if the less fortunate cliché is used to offer a different perspective but it shouldn't be used as a tool to force a person to change, give up their dreams or goals, or silence themselves for some cheap shot of morality. Example Rarity from my little pony. Many Fans didn't like her at first due stereotypical girl trope of a personality with her love of fashion, pampering, and high society. However the show creators made those her strengths with her love applied to her own business that allows her the live the lifestyle that she wishes.

10. Morm the Bard

Morm the Bard New Member

But hasn't Miles already lived as a vagabond for a little bit? Certainly not as long as Rachael of course. Exactly how long was it between dropping out of college and running into Mora? Plus wasn't he just following Mora for a quick lay supposedly for money? I mean he didn't expect to be shacked up on a farm for a lengthy period of time. And we certainly didn't see a "oh god how will I live or eat" moment when Mora kicked him out for a bit. Though he has come to the conclusion that he needs more money (or a plane) to be "free"? Not sure if a "this is how the other half lives" montage is going to effect him much.

Lumaria likes this.
  11. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    Yeah, I’m going to side with @Radagast here and say that Rachael is going to use tough love here to teach Miles the true meaning of his version of true freedom here. It’s probably much better than my theory that she’s going to teach him some private lessons in a private area. My guess is that Miles has romantically idealized the idea of living the renegade lifestyle as he probably never did that much reading on The Lord of the Flies.

12. Lumaria

Lumaria Katbox Forum Member

The story where a whole bunch of British kids worship pig heads and play telephone with a seashell? Terrible book. I am expecting over simplified moral lesson you would see in a cartoon like Simpsons.

13. Nixie

Nixie Seal of Approval Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Ort ort ort
    I hope Rachael manages to teach Miles something.

I once wanted a similar kind of freedom to what Miles is after. I spent about a year preparing to travel around by bike, see sides of the world I hadn't seen before and all that. I did a lot of research, a lot of asking people who'd done it before, a lot of preparing. Wanna know what happened? It still wasn't enough. I didn't have the worldly know-how. Five days after I set out, I had to call my parents that my bike was broken, I was already out of money and I needed a ride home. It was a humbling experience... I just didn't know how to live a different lifestyle. In hindsight, I should have taken a backpack and left the bike. I shouldn't have brought my laptop or drawing supplies. I shouldn't have immediately set out for an island, where food costs five times as much as on the mainland and there is literally not a single patch of woods one could discreetly camp in. ANYWAY. I've got a feeling that no matter how well he tries to prepare, Miles wouldn't actually be able to handle the "freedom" he craves so much.

14. RazielsShadow

RazielsShadow Katbox Forum Member

So Miles was already living on his own before running into Mora... but now he needs Rachael to tell him how living on his own sucks and he's a horrible person for wanting freedom?

EDIT: This Miles is a horrible person meme is getting kind of old.

Miles is a horrible person for wanting sex all the time (even though that's why were here - why else is BaTB so popular?)

Miles is a horrible person for breaking up with Taffy even though that relationship wasn't going anywhere.

Miles is a horrible person for sleeping with Geecku even though she literally dragged him out of a window.

And now Miles is a horrible person for wanting to leave the farm, where everyone hates him, and find something more meaningful in life.

Am I missing something?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Teendmax likes this.
  15. Teendmax

My guess a cheap sense of moral superiority.

16. XiahouDun1225

XiahouDun1225 Katbox Forum Member

Yeah, Miles seems to be a whipping boy for some reason. I mean nevermind he has shown growth from where he was in the beginning of the series, or that there is likely something much deeper in his back story that even lead him to where he was. It's all just "Hate Miles Memes" or whatever. We'll see what happens when Chalo manages to integrate Learning Curves content. Until then, just weather the storm.

17. White Tiger

I realize that looking down on Miles was done in past arcs (especially the infamous Harvest Festival arc), but how is that relevant here? No one is saying he's a horrible person so much as we're saying he has an unrealistic, overly-idealistic view of what he wants.

Miles comes off as the 'whipping boy' because he has a very flawed personality and skewed view of the world, and he's defensive about it. I'm not going to deny that he's a very relate-able character and ambitious, but one would be subjective and biased to overlook that he's often portrayed as being narcissistic, among other things.

Yes, he's shown growth, but every bit of character development is going to come with growing pains. If people like Taffy, Minos, and Rachael didn't butt heads with Miles and call him out on the way he is, he wouldn't realize he's made mistakes or have an idea how to develop as a character. We saw the same thing with other characters, too (e.g., Mora being talked down to by Minos, Rachael getting pushed aside by Sarah). Personal conflict between characters is often the preferred vehicle for development.

18. Teendmax

From my perspective the relevance comes the sense of overall negative tone or approach (hard to pick the right word) towards him when in comparison to the other characters in the writing. I don't ignore is flaws (even I've a face palm moment or two with him) but I do feel that he receives a much harsher treatment in comparison to the others. Also while yes it is true that conflict between characters can be used for development but the question I put forward as I did in a previous forum in which direction will he develop. I am also concern about the biased of the towards him in the writing.

19. RazielsShadow

It's relevant to me because it happens all the time and it is getting really old - especially when he's A) doing nothing wrong or B) trying to be nice. Let me try to explain.

Previously you had Miles getting dragged out of his bed by Geecku to get molested (although he wouldn't complain) and everyone absolutely hated him for it even as he had no control over the event. One person even got BANNED in the forum for hating him so much when I asked "what did he do?"

Now here we are with the last few comics with Miles actively trying to be nice to Rachael - unless I'm just completely missing something - taking her to a game for her birthday, buying her gifts, trying to be honest by admitting to her that Geecku and him screwed, saying that they're the same and he doesn't want to lose her... Only for Rachael to call him a selfish manipulative asshole. And everybody in the forum high fives Rachael's arm off. Yeah you go Rachael! Tear his ego apart!

And I'm over here thinking what the hell? In what world do you be nice to someone like this and it's okay for them to insult you? But whatever, that can be argued in their own specific thread.

For this specific thread you have everyone talking about how Miles can't handle freedom and being on his own when he was doing exactly that before Mora showed up in his life.

BUT THAT'S NOT WHY I POSTED IN THIS THREAD TODAY!

In the past I've actually gone through and posted how many characters have physically assaulted Miles (I'm sure someone can find it somewhere in the forum). Let's call it about 75 to 80% of the entire cast. Just about everyone in LL hates him and pretty much everyone reading LL who posts in the forums hates him. For years I have been to the point where if I were in Miles shoes I would have left Las Lindas and found somewhere else to live/work where I wouldn't be hated by everyone. NONETHELESS here he is still trying though god knows why.

In these last few comics - again unless I'm missing something - he is trying to reach out to Rachael and she's shutting him down. And you can just see it in the comic how he's just giving up. How he just can't win no matter how hard he tries and he's realizing this. And it's killing me - because again I'm thinking to myself "Why are you here Miles? Why are you suffering like this? No one wants you here and you're wasting your time trying to find happiness in a place where the most friendly person to you is Rachael - and by god look how that's working out. You have no future here so the smart thing to do would be to leave and find happiness somewhere else."

And yet you have people here saying the complete opposite. That he won't make it in the world on his own, he should accept his life here in LL, quit dreaming about living free and finding more to life than this miserable existence you currently have.

Let me ask you forumites real quick: where do you see Miles in the future? Where do you think this will lead?

As for you White Tiger: what character development do you want Miles to have? What is so flawed about Miles that needs to change in order for him to be a better person? His narcissism? When people are constantly being screwed over, unwanted, and hated by everyone they tend to think about themselves first. How would crushing Miles like this fix that (short of severe depression, which I can't for the life of me see how this is a good thing for him)?

At the end of it all I am getting really tired of seeing Miles try, and fail, and try, and fail, and try, and fail over and over again, even when he's trying to do the right thing, and all he gets is either hatred or people pointing out how he needs to change his life because he's so flawed as a character. That third panel of this comic, his head and ears down with the line that says it all - "Yeah I think it's always going to be too much to ask..." - that's what's got me pissed off right now. Why is it that everyone else in Las Lindas can have so many flaws but he's the only one that can never freaking win?

20. White Tiger

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the note that other characters don't get the short end of the stick, so to speak. As I said in my previous post, there are instances where other characters have gotten beef for their personalities or actions, as well -- including Mora, Rachael, Alejandra, and Minos.

Now, is Miles given a hard time more than others? That's a possibility. Truthfully, I haven't been keeping score and, yes, there's a chance you're right. However, I don't think it's necessarily unwarranted because, as you said, there are times where he somewhat brings this on himself.

First and foremost, I think Miles needs to figure out what he really wants in life. When this comic started, he acted like he wanted to have a fulfilling relationship with a healthy sex life included, and he sought this a number of times (e.g., Hope, Mora, Taffy, Geecku). Now, with the plane and his heart-to-heart with Rachael, he's talking about how he wants this 'truly free' life without roots or obligations to keep him weighed down. All the while, he's giving off these big signs about how he's tired of feeling misunderstood throughout all of this. He's not being clear on what his goals are.

Second, I think he needs to self-reflect and come to terms with the fact that he's made mistakes. In a lot of instances with him, he falls into this habit of either feeling like the victim (e.g., his relationship with Hope, the fling with Mora) or he immediately gets defensive. In fact, he just did this by accusing Rachael of being jealous, when she called him out. The sooner he's capable of accepting criticism and admitting when he's wrong, the sooner I think he'll develop as a character.

Lastly, I think he needs to do the adult thing and accept that he's not the center of the universe. There's all this talk about how him being self-centered and narcissistic is a response to his distrust of people, but no man is an island. If Miles were willing to show a little empathy and look at things from other people's perspectives, he might fair better making friends or getting people to see his side of the story. If he walks around with this chip on his shoulder, no one is going to give him a chance.

'Crushing' Miles, as you put it, would force him to finally let go of all this baggage he carries around. By having the one last person he's turning to, Rachael, invalidate his outlook on life, it should force him to realize that, just maybe, he's been wrong this whole time. Sometimes, all it takes is the right person to tell you 'no' for them to really reassess things. Rachael isn't just going to insult Miles, but help him see why he's wrong instead of just demeaning him.

21. DNMZ

DNMZ The Golden Lynx

Gotta say I pretty much agree with everything you said. I don't really like Miles all that much but the way he has been treated has always bothered me, or it did. Recently when ever I hear someone going on about how much they hate Miles and what a bad person he is it feels like I'm watching paint dry. It used to irritate me but not anymore, I've actually heard it so many times from all of you I've grown numb to it. Seriously guys it has just gotten so boring, to me if you say miles is terrible because of this and this then I have the same reaction someone has when a person comes up to you and says hey did you know the grass is green and sky is blue.

22. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Miles has been the most talked about character in the LL franchise.

Talking about him is like conducting a George R.R Martin Theory. There is so many details and untold truths that need to be put in.

We've disscused it in the last few threads. Miles might be broken up because of what eventually went down with Hope. (To our speculation at least)

Hope said it herself:
    "I love Shin Miles,we've been togheter since we were little kids..."

"He's a good guy. But it's like I just am part of the background to him. I don't feel like he appreciates me."

So she tried to be with Miles who is a bit childish but she still described him as good and carring. So we can't really blame him for goimg down the Vagabond path after the,what might've been a harsh break up for Miles.

And after what Mora did to attract Minos,things like that tend to leave scars.
    Now we can't really blame Miles for going all snu-snu with Geecku cause,let's be honest,he was drunk and Geecku can be really persuasive when it come to "Bed time". And Geecku is rather cute so...yeah don't act you guys wouldn't hit that while drunk and with no control over what you do.

But there is some truth to Rachaels words about Miles being manipulative...some truth alright?

So in truth we can neither side with him (because we all passed this point and moment in oir lives) nor can we really blame him for things that have happened. And the little harsh visit from Tiarie (who he did try to seduce) he just went deeper down into the Abyss.

23. RazielsShadow

I'm not trying to be defensive of Miles right now when I'm asking this but how is he being manipulative in these last few comics? I can kind of see it when he accused Rachael of being jealous (although I have no idea where he was going with that), yet before Rachael called him a manipulative asshole I really didn't see it. In my opinion someone manipulative wouldn't of said anything about Geecku because that might kill any chances he might of had. That looks more like honesty than manipulation. Where is Miles being manipulative with Rachael at this moment?

24. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

I never said that he was manipulatin in this moment.
    I merely said that there's some truth to Rachaels words m'kay?

25. RazielsShadow

M'kay that question wasn't just directed at you. The subject of manipulation has been brought up ever since Rachael mentioned it, with a few people claiming that he is, and I'm not seeing it in these past few comics. The closest I can think of is him saying that she's jealous but that seems more of a defensive jab than manipulation. So from the time Miles took Rachael to the Arena to now, has Miles been manipulative and if so then how?

@WT: I agree with you about the flaws that he has. However I feel that instead of making him reflect on his life this might make him finally give up. We got a small glimpse of him thinking about giving up just before he found the plane (after he fell off a cliff). With everyone else being happy with their life and role in LL he is the only one (besides possibly Rachael) who doesn't have anything that makes him happy. All he has left is the dream of flying away and now Rachael just told him that she's not going with him. There's a possibility that he'll give this dream up, and if he doesn't have that then what does he have?