Comic Las Lindas #527: Acceptance

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Teendmax

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 11, 2013
Like I said in my last post, the writers have two camps of readers to please. For every person that'd agree with you and say that Miles didn't need to change, there's going to be a reader that thinks Miles' flawed personality is perfect for character development material. People just need to interpret it for themselves.

Also, no one is asking that Miles become some saint who's 'morally pure', as you put it. I imagine that the writers were trying to use Miles' imperfections as a reason to develop him as a character and change his view on life a little bit, thus giving the story depth. You might not like the concept of this story involving characters becoming 'better people', so to speak, but that's what's been going on for a while now (e.g., Mora being more considerate, Rachael becoming more accepting, Alejandra no longer being antagonistic towards the farm).

Lastly, I think it's a little bit of an exaggeration to say that Rachael's telling him to just accept his dead-beat job. Summed up, Rachael was saying that Miles' idea to live out of a plane flying around the world was "a little much" and people aren't always better off living life without roots. Just because Miles doesn't run off in a plane doesn't mean his only option is to stick with a job he doesn't like; he can find other ways to be happy that are feasible.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, it'd be limiting the comic to have all the stories take place on the farm. However, despite having connections to the big picture that is Neo-Earth, this comic is still called Las Lindas, so, naturally, its going to focus on the farm.

There's a chance that the writers have something planned for Miles that we haven't seen, yet. Thus, there's a possibility that Miles' presence in the main story contributes to the overall story.

Also, I think Ambar's significance to the comic's story goes beyond just answering questions on the askblog (which I believe isn't supposed to be directly tied to the comic's story, anyways). Between Minos and this mysterious heir hiding out on the farm, Ambar's part of the storyline that connects the farm to the overarching lore of Neo-Earth.

First of all, I'd argue that Minos and Randal don't get as much attention from readers as Miles because they're not as provocative. They might have their own dramatic moments, but Miles has the biggest record of those and that gets the readers' attention and interest. Second, just because Miles is 'interesting' and provocative doesn't mean he should be exempt from change and development, as a character. Even if he's unique in the way he acts, that shouldn't exclude him from changing with the story's progression.

I'm sorry, but defining Miles with a trope like "lovable asshole" or jerk with a heart shouldn't make him immune to change and character development. Look, I get it; characters of this arch-type are classic and memorable. However, it'd be a waste just to include Miles into the story, and then do nothing with his character development. You'd be keeping him around purely to be the token asshole of the group, and that'd just be lazy.
We dont want him to be the token asshole. We just want him to develop in a way that allows him to stay the character we love. Example Rarity from MLP. She is is the same type of character but has developed to handle her flaws and situations better while still being herself. Readers might get impression that the writers intends a dramatic shift in his character due to the presentation. First look at his surroundings and the characters thus far until the forced pairing with racheal there was no one for him to connect with given the conflicting personalities. Also the pursuit of freedom dream is all the more crushed by a lack of a positive example. The closest is Geecku but she is just a wild child that has to be looked after and even admits to being a little lonely. As a result of this environment some readers can't help but feel that Miles is being shamed and forced to "develop" in a way they don't agree with.

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
We dont want him to be the token asshole. We just want him to develop in a way that allows him to stay the character we love.
That's all well and good (really, who doesn't want a character to retain their identity and what makes them unique), but I'm convinced that a lot of readers are taking the worst parts of Miles (e.g., his narcissism, being stubborn about his own mistakes) and seeing them as personality traits to be heralded rather than areas of improvement.

Here's quote from another page's thread that kind of explains what I'm talking about:

I know Miles has a lot of bad traits but personally I think that's what makes him interesting. As I said before every story needs a lovable asshole character with the main cast, [someone] compared Miles to Vegeta and I say that's pretty accurate. What would DBZ be without Vegeta ? What would LL be without Miles ?
I'll concede that a flawed character is interesting, because they're often relate-able and more realistic. However, as I said before, it seems lazy and lacking to keep a character's most unappealing flaws purely for the sake of interest when it seems that everyone else (i.e., Mora, Alejandra, Rachael) is facing their flaws and growing from it.

First look at his surroundings and the characters thus far until the forced pairing with racheal there was no one for him to connect with given the conflicting personalities. Also the pursuit of freedom dream is all the more crushed by a lack of a positive example. The closest is Geecku but she is just a wild child that has to be looked after and even admits to being a little lonely. As a result of this environment some readers can't help but feel that Miles is being shamed and forced to "develop" in a way they don't agree with.
I agree that Miles has been unable to connect to anyone thus far because of clashing personalities. However, if it keeps happening with every person Miles has a conversation with, naturally, you want to address the one constant all of this: Miles. If his personality is what keeps him from connecting with anyone he lives and works with, then that's what should be looked at, and possibly improved upon.

As for Miles' dream being so-called 'crushed', the "lack of a positive example" should be something of a red flag for him. That's not to say he should never follow his dreams, but rather he should consider how to make his dream more feasible. All that's saying is that Miles' goals are too lofty and ambitious, given the circumstances. This is purely an observation and, by no means, a personal indictment against Miles.

Teendmax

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 11, 2013
That's all well and good (really, who doesn't want a character to retain their identity and what makes them unique), but I'm convinced that a lot of readers are taking the worst parts of Miles (e.g., his narcissism, being stubborn about his own mistakes) and seeing them as personality traits to be heralded rather than areas of improvement.

Here's quote from another page's thread that kind of explains what I'm talking about:

I'll concede that a flawed character is interesting, because they're often relate-able and more realistic. However, as I said before, it seems lazy and lacking to keep a character's most unappealing flaws purely for the sake of interest when it seems that everyone else (i.e., Mora, Alejandra, Rachael) is facing their flaws and growing from it.

I agree that Miles has been unable to connect to anyone thus far because of clashing personalities. However, if it keeps happening with every person Miles has a conversation with, naturally, you want to address the one constant all of this: Miles. If his personality is what keeps him from connecting with anyone he lives and works with, then that's what should be looked at, and possibly improved upon.

As for Miles' dream being so-called 'crushed', the "lack of a positive example" should be something of a red flag for him. That's not to say he should never follow his dreams, but rather he should consider how to make his dream more feasible. All that's saying is that Miles' goals are too lofty and ambitious, given the circumstances. This is purely an observation and, by no means, a personal indictment against Miles.
I cant speak for others but. I don't veiw his flaws as what makes him perfect. But I could say that I could see myself as friends if I met him more so than the other characters. Not everyone dislikes him Randal is capable of being friendly with him but can't handle more lewd topics. Sarah like him enough to entrust Racheal to look after her. But my real hope was that with the hiring would also come more variety of characters that can connect with the cast. Like a local around his age with some similarities. To pull from ny own personal experience I have a friend who if you met would see is a clone of Miles's personality and yet he is one of best and loyal friends. I guess its just a matter if personal preference. As for his dreams I agree that he needs a better perspective of his dreams but since this is a fantasy world I simply would to see some potential outcomes for the plane beside crop dusting since the writers introduced it in the story.

Last edited: