1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Las Lindas #527: Acceptance

Discussion in 'Chalo's Works' started by White Tiger, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Teendmax

Teendmax Katbox Forum Member

We dont want him to be the token asshole. We just want him to develop in a way that allows him to stay the character we love. Example Rarity from MLP. She is is the same type of character but has developed to handle her flaws and situations better while still being herself. Readers might get impression that the writers intends a dramatic shift in his character due to the presentation. First look at his surroundings and the characters thus far until the forced pairing with racheal there was no one for him to connect with given the conflicting personalities. Also the pursuit of freedom dream is all the more crushed by a lack of a positive example. The closest is Geecku but she is just a wild child that has to be looked after and even admits to being a little lonely. As a result of this environment some readers can't help but feel that Miles is being shamed and forced to "develop" in a way they don't agree with.

2. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

That's all well and good (really, who doesn't want a character to retain their identity and what makes them unique), but I'm convinced that a lot of readers are taking the worst parts of Miles (e.g., his narcissism, being stubborn about his own mistakes) and seeing them as personality traits to be heralded rather than areas of improvement.

Here's quote from another page's thread that kind of explains what I'm talking about:

I'll concede that a flawed character is interesting, because they're often relate-able and more realistic. However, as I said before, it seems lazy and lacking to keep a character's most unappealing flaws purely for the sake of interest when it seems that everyone else (i.e., Mora, Alejandra, Rachael) is facing their flaws and growing from it.

I agree that Miles has been unable to connect to anyone thus far because of clashing personalities. However, if it keeps happening with every person Miles has a conversation with, naturally, you want to address the one constant all of this: Miles. If his personality is what keeps him from connecting with anyone he lives and works with, then that's what should be looked at, and possibly improved upon.

As for Miles' dream being so-called 'crushed', the "lack of a positive example" should be something of a red flag for him. That's not to say he should never follow his dreams, but rather he should consider how to make his dream more feasible. All that's saying is that Miles' goals are too lofty and ambitious, given the circumstances. This is purely an observation and, by no means, a personal indictment against Miles.

3. Teendmax

Teendmax Katbox Forum Member

I cant speak for others but. I don't veiw his flaws as what makes him perfect. But I could say that I could see myself as friends if I met him more so than the other characters. Not everyone dislikes him Randal is capable of being friendly with him but can't handle more lewd topics. Sarah like him enough to entrust Racheal to look after her. But my real hope was that with the hiring would also come more variety of characters that can connect with the cast. Like a local around his age with some similarities. To pull from ny own personal experience I have a friend who if you met would see is a clone of Miles's personality and yet he is one of best and loyal friends. I guess its just a matter if personal preference. As for his dreams I agree that he needs a better perspective of his dreams but since this is a fantasy world I simply would to see some potential outcomes for the plane beside crop dusting since the writers introduced it in the story.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017