1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Las Lindas #522: Burst Your Bubble

Discussion in 'Chalo's Works' started by White Tiger, Dec 31, 2016.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

2. DNMZ

DNMZ The Golden Lynx

No comment, it's best I don't say what I really feel towards this one.

3. Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher Gallery Volunteer

Almost scary how utterly patient and rather zen Rach through this, especially for Miles of all people.

And Rachael seriously has Miles number here.

4. Slaughts

Slaughts Forum Field Marshal Gallery Volunteer

I really admire Rachael's patience here. Had this been her a while back she'd been screaming and kicking his ass, but she's taking it really cool and being forthright about her views.

5. Aeri

Aeri Resident Resident spirit expert Gallery Volunteer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
    Good on ya cat.

Also, Where is Arboria and why does it need me? (Panel 4)

6. Rock-Scar

Rock-Scar The Sentient Sediment

Personal Text:
    *wilhelm scream*
    :gleeRachael: : Sorry dude, I ain't letting you stomp away from your character development this time. :amazeMiles:

I think this is what the doctor ordered for Miles. Like the old saying goes, "A true friend that tells you the truth about yourself... even if you tell them to shut up." ;)

And the insignia on Rach's shoulder looks like like an evil little smiley-face. xD

7. XiahouDun1225

XiahouDun1225 Katbox Forum Member

Hm...Well it's not the ship we asked for, but it's a pretty damn good ship regardless.

8. SomeDudeJoe

SomeDudeJoe Katbox Forum Member

I think Rach just became my favorite character.

9. Phuufy

Phuufy Super Duper Drawer Person! Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Personal Text:
    Rainbows and Unicorns -- and Giant Super Crab Mechs!
    Rach is showing alot of maturity here. I think it's something Miles needed to hear, but his outburst about her being jealous? Like really dude? I get his fragile ego is being shattered right now - I really hope we get some backstory or insight at least.

Chaos Sepher likes this.
  10. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Is there even an ego left? It's all pretty much rubble at this point

11. F-Frost

F-Frost Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Heh. Im thinking something like: "I'm not going to hit you. Because this will hurt more! :3"

And yet somehow I have this feeling that in the end things will be revealed to make us feel really, really bad for hating on Miles somehow. But that's speculation, with no base and thrown into the air, aka not worth digging further into atm.

12. SomeDudeJoe

SomeDudeJoe Katbox Forum Member

No force on Earth could make me feel bad for hating this tool.

13. DNMZ

DNMZ The Golden Lynx

:| same old same old

14. TheStarWarrior

TheStarWarrior Katbox Forum Member

Wow he has a bigger ego that I though. Be interesting to see if he finally learns his lesson or if he is at least humbled by this.

15. Lumaria

Lumaria Katbox Forum Member

Well since Miles has slept with Mora I am sure a few are jealous of that, not to mention Geeku as well. Heck that feet alone he is tagging all those Minos has been with. I would say jealous was a poor wording on his part and he is somewhat brash at times. Though I still get a kick out of the the Rachel fans because of Mile's past yet Rach is a kidnapper... but lets think a guy being a pig is some super villain.

Teendmax likes this.
  16. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

Even though I tore into Miles in my post on the last comic, I can somewhat see why Miles is upset, here. From his perspective, he was genuinely nice and sincere towards Rachael -- even if she doesn't think so. For all we know, maybe he actually wanted her to be his friend, since he doesn't trust anyone else (that we know of). That doesn't mean I sympathize with him or think he's in the right necessarily, but I'm saying I can at least see why Miles is upset.

All that aside, I think Miles' response to her criticism, as harsh as it was, isn't going to improve the situation. Sure, Rachael saying he's selfish after giving her these gifts is insulting, if not hurtful, but getting defensive and calling the person you're trying to befriend a 'bitch' is like adding in some gasoline as you're burning the bridge. Miles would've fared better to try and keep calm and ask her for an explanation, instead.

Also, Miles' ego is too big for his britches, in this instance. As if being defensive wasn't a testament to this, it's pretty egotistical and narcissistic to try to turn the tables and say that the person criticizing you is just jealous. After all, anyone who isn't your friend or supportive must be a hater, right? Surely. Plus, the way Miles just whips out the 'you're just jealous' defense feels too much like a distraction or a bull-headed defense to Rachael criticizing his personality.

Lastly, while I think Rachael is still a questionable character, I admire her method of being brutally honest, but smart about it. She's not using this as a chance to berate Miles necessarily, but rather to make it clear that, if he wants to be her friend, she won't tolerate his lacking personality and she won't pull punches in telling him the truth -- even if she herself is a flawed individual.

First of all, how does Miles' sex life have any relevance to this conversation? Rachael is criticizing Miles for having a questionable personality and being selfish; she never mentioned anything about his sexual relations.

Secondly, Miles' response to her (saying that she's jealous) is a flawed defense. It's purely a hybrid of appeal to emotion and appeal to motive, and it's a move meant to turn it onto her rather than actually try to prove she's wrong.

Also, saying Rachael is a horrible person is a fallacious tactic, too. Saying Rachael is a bad person (I don't think anyone's going to deny that Rachael did questionable stuff) doesn't make her point any less valid.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  17. Teendmax

Teendmax Katbox Forum Member

I'm in complete agreement. this is real "pot calling the kettle black" moment and just for these two. To make it worse I have a feeling that when we get the reveal of Rachael's lies Miles won't get the chance to be nowhere near as harsh with her she or worse is scolded for being mad at her if you know anime tropes.

Does anyones else think that the writing for Miles has taken a sudden nosedive sine Geecku? This shift for seems all wrong and out of character. At least to me to seems that way.

18. Phuufy

Personal Text:
    There seems to be a clear divide between fans for Miles and Anti-Miles fans. Miles fans don't seem to notice his flaws or feel the need to take up for him, since he's a bit infamous in this comic. Anti-Miles sentiments range from "Annoying Jerk" to literally wanting to lynch him. Obviously, that last example is abit extreme (I have seen some rabid people who read this comic though!)

My stance on Miles is, I wouldn't mind all the egotistical,bullheaded arrogance if we got a bit more reason as to "Why". Miles has the potential to have a great character arc. In character arcs, characters must grow and change! Not always for the better though. It's not easy "loving" or even "tolerating" a character like Miles because I feel there needs to be known about him.

I think very early Miles in the comic was maybe my favorite iteration because he did have some sympathy going for him. Back when he seemed to at least care about having a relationship with Mora - though obviously that was kind of a mess to begin with.

What we need from Miles is what his dreams,hopes and wishes are, his hobbies, his fears - he deepest darkest secret.. we need him to feel vulnerable - we need to see him struggle.What was his past beyond what we saw in Learning Curves? Ideally from a writing stance, he should begin to change from the person he was - rather then being stagnant in his beliefs. Alot of Miles-Fans probably hate that idea as many probably perceive Miles' POV of the world valid "Everyone is against him, he's smarter and better then the rest, nobody cuts him a break..ect".

No, obviously we're are being shown Miles POV of the world doesn't mesh and the other characters are well aware of this. He's so shallow he can't grow, he'll never achieve happiness - he'll never be satisfied as long as he thinks and feels this way. That's what Rachael is trying to tell him, "You're really a jerk - but I think you can change."

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Chaos Sepher likes this.
  19. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    Okay, is it just me or is Rachael being unusually kinder than usual? Seriously, she wouldn't give a darn in the past and would simply sit there and enjoy the show, but now she's genuinely sincere about Miles's feelings. Unless she's finally taking Sarah's advice from way back when or she has to see a little bit of herself in him, I just don't see why she's putting up with this.

On a related note, it seems that Miles is getting a lesson on how, despite good intentions, some people will simply enjoy a free wide from you.

20. Teendmax

Teendmax Katbox Forum Member

As a Miles fan I do acknowledge his flaws but I still find him relatable and I defend when I see biases and double standards of writing when it comes to him and characters like him.

My stance on Miles is that while he does have a bad habit of letting his emotions get the better of him, doesn't know to stop the perv, and has too many open mouth insert foot moments. I also see a frustrated young man who simply wants to live a happy life. A promising engineer with a love for his crafts and big dreams. Soul looking for another who understands and accepts him.(Went a bit over romantic give blunt nature but still).

While I agree with your statement about his character arc my concern is the direction of his growth. What I mean is thst if an arc is done poorly or panders to a certain bias the character could end losing parts of them that made likable the their present fans and get a very negative reaction. All the while when compared to the arcs of the other characters is no where near as harsh or results in a major change. For me I want and an arc where Miles learns to control his tongue but is more determined to chart his own course in life and eventually succeed on his own strenght. For him too meet someone who will love him, understand, and have sex with him all the while we see Miles fully commit to this relationship. This is satisfying to both sides I believe since get character growth without losing his charm or identity that is loved.

21. Lumaria

I just hope Miles doesn't become Alej 2.0 where the personality is a light switch and takes away so much of what was iconic to them from what we had experienced in comic. This maybe ego crushing but at the same time I don't think this was the time for that. How often does Miles open up and express his feelings to another living being? Pretty much he walls up everything and has a facade of an aloof unattached man. If this doesn't get healed up during this exact confrontation I almost expect Miles to give up on forming bonds at all seeing as this would possibly in his eyes show that no one gives a f" about him and just use each other.

22. XiahouDun1225

XiahouDun1225 Katbox Forum Member

Alej was way too high strung for her "personality" to be sustainable. It happened the way it did for her because she was literally cracking.

As for Miles, I just want to see what happened man...I to find him to be pretty likable. I seriously can't understand the resentment people on the forum feel for the guy. It almost seems to me, like a kind of projection or something...

23. Phuufy

Personal Text:
    Miles doesn't seem to comprehend that relationships are give and take - that he has to be able to care about someone besides himself in order to establish intimacy (not the same as sex, its about being vunerable). He's only seemed interested in sexual relationships - not even really friendships or romantic ones. Maybe there is a bit of hope for that with Rachael but Miles doesn't seem to know how to keep friends. Simply put, he's way too immature and narrow-minded - this arc I'm sure is about opening that up.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2017, Original Post Date: Jan 2, 2017 ---
    I wouldn't call him likeable/relatable, I guess I can understand him from some point of view. There isn't really anything endearing about him - unless you count all the terrible flops of relationships he's had. Generally almost always stemming from his own fault.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2017 ---
    I don't really see any of the main cast of Las Lindas ever leaving the farm. That's why the plane seems like such a pipe-dream, Miles isn't going to go anywhere. Maybe he can get more determined to do projects or something - but anything major that would conflict with his duties on the farm? Nope.

We've only seen a tiny smidgen of Miles' interest in engineering - yeah he does mechanical stuff, he found the plane and got excited over Tootsie's mech but other then that - how often does he talk about it? That's my problem with him as a character - he only talks about himself (i.e. how awesome he is, how terrible everyone else is ) or who he wants to get with (mostly almost exclusively sexually). Maybe an argument over work or something - but rarely anything beyond that.

Chaos Sepher likes this.
  24. Radagast

Radagast Gallery Volunteer

Additionally, there's the entitlement issue showcased in panel three here. "I bought you tickets. I gave you a gift on your birthday. And after I try to open up to you, you call me selfish!" What...were those things supposed to guarantee a positive review from Rachael? For doing nice things for her on her birthday? Yeah, you can understand where he'd be upset at the response, but the suggestion that she shouldn't have done so either at all or because of what he'd done that day is a significant problem with his worldview that actually proves Rachael's point that he is selfish and manipulative.

To better explain the issue, an old marketing professor of mine once commented that making a quality product and having good customer service was not a selling point, it was the cost of entry into the market. So too is it here. What he cited here is not a selling point. It's the barrier of entry for social interaction. Maybe it was a bit more lavish than usual, but being nice to someone on their birthday is not exceptional. Nor does it obligate anyone to play with the kiddie gloves when asked for an opinion. In reacting this way he effectively recasts his actions from friendly celebration to attempted [legal] bribery.

Now, does this make him a terrible person? No. In my experience it's a cognitive trap that many people fall into at least occasionally. But it does mean that in order to grow as a person and improve himself, he needs some tough love to help him break free of that trap. So long as he believes that this kind of thing gives him a social advantage which allows him to buy positive perceptions, he's going to come of as...well, a selfish manipulative asshole with stunted character growth.

Chaos Sepher likes this.
  25. Lumaria

It could be the median in which the stories are progressing the character being the biggest handicap. In comics you want to leave a hook, a minor climax things to keep the reader interested and coming back for more. What I think those tickets and gift should have 'bought' himself was maybe someone with an open ear and not resort to name calling in the last panel for ZING effect. Rachel should have been a little more thoughtful that maybe the reason why he was doing all this was at least to open up a little. How shallow can you be to have a person that is as far as I can tell only really acquaintance level of relationship and not a full friend yet. At worst a tolerable co-worker. The jacket okay it was purchased a while back, but the tickets it was a door for him to get her to a location where no one that knows them is in ear shot as he opened up to her.

Again I think its the median where you cannot really open up grandiose conversations and still keep the platform interesting so instead of a very steady gradual progression its more like an emotional zigzag being in a comic. Though Rachel thinking everything there was just showers of generosity seems so narrow-minded to me. Granted I have a similar view to the world as Miles, not as self absorbed and boisterous but I see that every action a person makes no matter what is selfish in some manner. Charity? To overall feel better for yourself, you are giving to aid others making you feel a sated or good emotion in your being. Taking care of family and friends? You are fostering and 'buying' in some way love. Or one that can even pin on religious people is that you do good deeds to basically buy your ticket to heaven. Though I am sure I can ramble on philosophy for a good few hours thats not the point of this.

I suppose its just easier for me to support Miles as he has relatable characteristics and in my life have seen all sorts of people that have short comings. Some do some terrible things, but some people just don't change. This is who they are. Ideally Rachel should have just listened to him rant some and when Miles said we are the same, she should have instead of using name calling just leveled with him. Miles how do you think others see you? Why do you think they are X,Y,Z towards you? Do you think its the world/everyone that has issues with you, or do you think to look in yourself and evolve, grow, and become a better version of yourself?