1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We're putting the spotlight on great community members! First person to be recognized for their effort: MrAMP!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Knighthood #58

Discussion in 'Chalo's Works' started by RJ_Prime, Jun 18, 2017 at 9:16 PM.

1. RJ_Prime

RJ_Prime Couldn't avoid Xhianil's fangs

2. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Bye bye Cute owl girl...

3. Curran

Curran ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ Staff Member Administrator

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    Stand up for what you believe in!
    Damn.

Was hoping we'd see more of Husky girl. Such is the life of a red shirt.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Original Post Date: Jun 18, 2017 at 9:54 PM ---
    I don't get the reference?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM
  5. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Valar Morghulis
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Original Post Date: Jun 18, 2017 at 10:23 PM ---
    The reff is the fact that George R. R. Martin has a habit of killing off his characters,sometimes right after introducing them.

Or @Curran just felt the need to put him there cause: "And then they all died...The End!"

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    Oh, don't read those, but I get it now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The JoJo parallels continue.

Me likey.

7. Lumaria

Lumaria Katbox Forum Member

So lame of a turn of events, felt like a waste of build up with these kind characters. They literally got Throne'd this woman needs some dragon fire shoved up her caboose and have her own green church moment.

8. wrytergirl

wrytergirl Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Wow, this was a violent scene. Stabbed through the chest, constricted, and the NZ spirit got disintegrated and his gem destroyed. Ayah sure is one bad chick. =x I wonder if Drake can sense what she did?

9. Dehan

Dehan Katbox Forum Member

Ok this is a bad one, I was on the fence about whether these guys would die or not but damn I didn't think they would die so brutally. I know KH is suppose to be edgier and darker than LL but seriously this was pretty cruel, I mean that nice owl girl was freaking strangled and a pic of her smiling and happy is still there on the bonus comic link. It's messed up . I kinda hoped the spirit would survive atleast just because he is the first guy spirit but now he's gone. Hope this doesn't become a theme in KH, if it does I may stop reading

10. Curran

Curran ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ Staff Member Administrator

George RR Martins aside, I realized going into this chapter with Ayah was going to be somewhat jarring or controversial, but that was the intent from the beginning. One major goal in my planning for KH is to show growth, not just for Joy but for her antagonist as well. As Joy gains strength and experience, so does Ayah, and vice versa. Neither of them are idle. But, as we can see, Ayah's growth is more visceral and this was by intentional choice. A major worry of mine when it comes to villains, especially in a comic format where I have only limited pages to show such things, is that Ayah becomes something of a Saturday morning cartoon villain, who only attacks the hero and is fended off every time. If I only had Ayah attacking Joy, the comic would require that Joy win every one of those fights, or at least Ayah be denied her full victory (such as Joy being bailed out, or Ayah pulling the dumb villain 'I could easily kill you now, but I won't!' line).

So in the end, this small chapter was very much showing how Ayah grows in strength, and (as judged by the reactions here) hammers herself in as something dangerous and unwelcome, which is what I had always intended for her. Ayah is a murderous fanatic to dark powers, and she's got to show that in a way with some weight.

But I'll conclude with this. There are greater things in play during this sequence. And hints have been dropped. Or have been left in plain sight. :3

11. Lumaria

Lumaria Katbox Forum Member

You say that the goal is not to be Saturday morning vibe with constant thwarted confrontations of the hero to the villain but the reality is if the villain keeps getting a mountain of bodies on her tally list then the rookie in training character is going to be pushed aside in the story for someone who can really resolve the issue. As the super natural is a heavy theme its going to come down to if the villain is a scourge to the land then the 'Great Lake Avengers' are going to be pushed aside for the A rank heroes to come in and put her in her place. If serious authorities and agencies don't look into this then it will be Saturday morning in a different vibe.

12. Dehan

Dehan Katbox Forum Member

I understand what your saying. Ayah is the big murderous bad that just established herself as a deadly threat to the heroes of this story. The characters being killed doesn't bother me that much, but the way they died does. Slowly being strangled to death after watching your friends die, it may just be due to Derek Landy's book but that just doesn't sit right with me. Also don't know if it's just me but I'm not seeing any hints or greater things at work here.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:51 AM, Original Post Date: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:36 AM ---
    Also agree with Lumaria if Ayah leaves a trail of bodies and becomes a massive threatwhy would Joy be sent after her ? Wouldn't Ambar assembled the crests and hunt her down herself ? UNLESS that is going to happen and it turns out to be a trap and with the crest captured the fate of the world falls to Joy Drake with Ember and Pyro, and their only help is Mora Linda and her farm hands/friends who join Joy's group to not only save the world but also to save her captured lover and friends from the villainous Ayah. Will they succeeded or will they fail ? Tune in next week to find out what happens next, all leading up to the special two hour KH and LL crossover episode !!!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:52 AM ---
    Haha sorry I couldn't resist

13. Belvarius

Belvarius Katbox Forum Member

Gruesome, but yeah Ayah's not the type to leave living enemies behind. To the ones freaking out a bit at this though: she attacked them when their guard was down. They were unarmed, relaxed, and they were thinking Ayah was some sort of victim of the Narakhan and not one of their most dangerous members. What would have been really scary is if she managed to kill them this easily while they were armed and ready to face an opponent.

14. happyguy1

happyguy1 Katbox Forum Member

I hope the next comic is the high prime being made aware of ayah's little massacre . And after receiving this news Ambar notifies the other crests about ayah and also gives orders to her knights and the prime army that she is to be killed on sight.

15. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    Ah…I really dig the character design of that cute owl girl too! Hated to see her go, especially in such a violent tirade. At the same time though, I must say that I’m impressed that two Knights and a NZ were taken out so easily too.

16. Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher Gallery Volunteer

I too lament the loss of the cute owl gal. Would really like to know if she had a name.

Though really it was a fair bit naive of them to assume that Ayah was just a victim in that mess.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM
  17. Slaughts

Slaughts Forum Field Marshal Gallery Volunteer

I actually dig this alot.

During the brief moments in LL and the bonus arcs, the Narakhan and by extension the old Empire, were always discussed in the same vein we would discuss Nazi Germany, but you didn't see the raw evidence of why they deserved that dread. Sure Ayah and her group looked menacing with her dark arts, but again we didn't see them be that vicious.

Here, I like seeing her unleash her power and show why she and the Narakhan should be feared. Yes it was jarring and the way they were killed is grusome, but I think it was necessary to do this to establish why the antagonist is such a dangerous force to reckon with.

I also see where this could go. Would Joy be sent?...maybe, but not alone certainly. I'm sure this would be serious enough for Ambar to be notified and yes I'm sure she'll organize something. However, I don't think it's going to be open and drastic. I imagine they'll try to keep this down to prevent a large public panic.

18. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

It's clear, now, that Ayah allowed herself to be taken in by the knights before 'springing' her little surprise on them. However, what I'm wondering why she was so scuffed up, when they found her. Was the building hit by some kind of siege or raid by the knights? Did her fellow cultists burn it down during a ritual and she was caught in it?

As far as Ayah herself, it seems that Chaos is this demonic(?) entity that she calls upon for her magical abilities. However, I'm wondering if it resides inside of her -- making her something of a symbiotic hostess or vessel -- or if she simply calls upon it for power and, in exchange, gives it the lives of others (in this case, the knights).

Lastly, this is all taking place in Prism, yes? Last time we checked, Joy and Drake were leaving someplace called Azuola. We know it's on the same continent as Prism, but I'm not sure if we've established how close it is to Prism. Thus, unless there was something of a time-skip, and Joy and Drake made it to Prism, Ayah's little rampage is going to be the problem of other knights. Hey, maybe a Crest will get involved. Who knows.

Wrapping up, this development was neat, although it also leaves a lot of questions about what's going on and what's to come. I, too, will miss these new character designs (cute owl girl included), but I suppose they served their purpose as fodder for the story.

19. Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher Gallery Volunteer

I believe the ritual and the sacrifices were originally meant to bring her back to the physical form.

And Prism is practically next door to Las Lindas isn't it?

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    Agreed, it's nice seeing villains that actually pose a threat. Saturday mourning cartoon villains like Cobra Commander or Megatron aren't scary or menacing, they're funny. Villains like Darth Vader, DIO or Voldermort are scary, actually accomplish what they set out to and either fail just short due to the heroes or succed and the heroes are forced to improvise. In my personal opinion that is preferable to a boring invincible hero, especially if their journey to "boring invincible hero" isn't shown and is just assumed.

21. Paradoxfox

Paradoxfox Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    I like this. What's better is that this is canon and fits the lore.

22. happyguy1

happyguy1 Katbox Forum Member

I think I found some good theme music for Ayah

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 8:46 AM