Katbox Shadowrun Game

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
So, it was brought up in the topic about a new Shadowrun game in production that some people are interested in playing Shadowrun. I have offered to GM (Game master) a game of Shadowrun (4th edition) online if we can come up with a good virtual table top and get enough people on a certain day to play.

If you are interested post here and your experience with the system. We are willing to teach newbies and I would like to have at most 6-8 players, a minimum of 4.

Also use this thread to discuss characters. It's a good idea to make characters cover each others weaknesses and add to their strengths.

I'll go into more details on character creation later, we are still probably a month away from being ready to go anyways. I will say Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are a no go of me. Wednesday right now is my best day. Friday night is a no but early friday might work. I can modify some of my schedule except sat, sun, mon.

So! Discuss, ask questions, propose ideas for virtual table tops and chat methods etc!

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
I wouldn't mind joining. Unfortunately I don't know much, that is to say I don't know anything, but I've got some P'n'P RPG experience and am a fast learner. If there's a website or a wiki out there I'm sure I can read through and learn most of it.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
I'll explain the system in more detail once I can get a hold of the newest copy of the core book. We will also need a way to chat either over something like Skype or google hangout. If we can't get something vocal we can use text chat, most virtual table tops have a built in chat program.

I'll explain rules and give out PDFs (I think there is a free basic rules and character creation PDF out there and I'll work on dealing with figuring out the best way to share a rule book online without "distributing" it. I think there is a cool character generator out for Shadowrun and that may help as well.

For those who don't know, Shadowrun is a cyberpunk near future world ran by massive corporations. Think blade runner but with magic, elves, dwarves, trolls, orcs, and guns... Lots of guns. Look for the Wikipedia article on Shadowrun for more detailed information.

Kullax

Professional Internet Prowler
Feb 29, 2012
Denmark
After quickly skipping through the wiki about Shadowrun I'd love to give it a try.
There's a few problem for me tho, I don't have the greatest rpg-experience (I've only ever been in one DnD session), and I usually end up playing some sort of board or card games instead. But even worse, I live in Europe, so the time difference could be a huge problem.
But I'd stay tuned to see how this thread evolves.

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
Just finished off reading the Wikipedia page. I think I might have a better grasp on it now. Is it to early to start talking about character builds?

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
I'll join, can I make a furry thief? I'm a noob btw
Nope, the races in Shadowrun are human, elf, Orc, dwarf, or troll. Also characters are not really class based, so while you an be a sneaky person, its more futuristic than old fantasy. Basically you have people augmented with technology, or people with magic. Here's a rundown on the general types of players.

Street samurai - general term for a person augmented with cybernetics to enhance their strength and speed. They use a wide array of weapons both guns and blades or anything else they want.

Adepts - An adept uses magic like a street Sam uses cybernetics. Their magic can make them super fast and strong and many other things.

Rigger - a rigger is basically a hacker that remotely controls drones and vehicles via the Internet. Drones are robots built for an array of uses like security and even military use. They often have their own drones but can take over others as well.

Shaman/Mage - their major differences are their beliefs but otherwise they are a lot alike. They cast magical spells and summon spirits to fight for them or to give the mages magic more power.

Hacker/technomancer - hackers are very similar to the hackers today, except they work at extraordinary speeds since their brains are directly linked to the net that is a matrix of sorts now. They can steal information, shut down security, give false data to enemies, sometimes even hack the enemies cybernetic limbs and make them beat their user senseless (though this rarely ever happens these days!). Technomancers are similar to hackers except they magically connect to the Internet and can generate simple ai programs to do work for them like shaman or Mage summons a spirit. Technomancer scan also be riggers.

Ramza,you are free to discuss characters now but remember, I have to find a time most people can play. So if everyone but one or two can play at one time, those people will not be able to play. So just remember its not a sure thing, but I will try my best to accommodate everyone.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
[quote author=Ramza Ydoc link=topic=9472.msg216891#msg216891 date=1334451459]
I don't think he was being serious.

EDIT: Okay, I'll wait until we know if we can get this off the ground or not.
[/quote]

I wasn't saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't get too attached. It is a good idea to have something in mind though and a backup.

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
Gottcha, alright.

Normally whenever I pick up an RPG my first character is generally fighty but not pure damage and tanky but not a tank. I think I'd probably fall under the "Street Samurai" archetype. Probably focusing on firearms, explosives (if you can), persuasion (charisma, right?), and just general combat tactics. I'll probably go for bioware over cyberware, though how many I should get depends on how risky have less essence is. I don't think I'll be very big on magic.

If that doesn't mesh well with the party's comp, I wouldn't mind trying out a Rigger. Not sure what race I'll pick, probably basic human, but I'll probably change my mind once I get more info on the races.

Paradoxfox

Katbox Forum Member
Mar 2, 2011
USA
www.co-comic.com
I seem to prefer stealth elves when it comes to tabletop rpgs.. so I'll shoot for that, this time with cybernetics and charisma! Character creation sounds like it will take a session on its own so ya oughta help prepare everyone participating to have theirs ready...which might be a challenge since only a few gots the rule book.

Curran

ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Washington
I've been working on character designs for a melee focused Adept. It is worth working through the character creation a few times to get used to the BP system.

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
When I hear "Heavy-weapons Troll" I get the image of a mutant gorilla with a bazooka in one hand and a light machine-gun in the other. And that's awesome.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Oh yeah- forgot to mention - NO TROLL ADEPTS! I've seen these guys take a cargo truck to the face. The cargo truck was the one that didnt walk away from that accident (actually - specifically the truck cab was demolished, the troll walked away with only a single box of damage, and the truck was going 100kmph (around 60 mph).

So - no troll adepts, they can be easily broken. Any other kinda troll is fine ^_^

Omega Wolf J

The Mother Wolf
Apr 26, 2009
Bremerton, WA.
www.furaffinity.net
Personal Text
Lady Ambar's Stalker
Oh yeah- forgot to mention - NO TROLL ADEPTS! I've seen these guys take a cargo truck to the face. The cargo truck was the one that didnt walk away from that accident (actually - specifically the truck cab was demolished, the troll walked away with only a single box of damage, and the truck was going 100kmph (around 60 mph).

So - no troll adepts, they can be easily broken. Any other kinda troll is fine ^_^
*bursts out laughing* :heartAmbar:
Almost as bad as when I used my brother's Troll to test out the Cybermancy rules when they first came out.

BadXAsh

Social Whore...er I mean Butterfly
May 29, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Personal Text
You're no bunny til some bunny loves you.
I'm totally up for it. I've been playing Shadow Run since it first came out!

I'm up for playing nights and weekends.

The Character I would like to play is a Human Detective, He's not into Augmentations, not a REAL fan of those with heavy Augmentations. He runs a little one room Detective agency in a gritty urban environment. He has heavy detective skills, some unarmed combat skills, and hand gun skills. He loves to sport himself a Trench coat and a fedora.

I hope this pans out as i would love to RP with you guys! :happyTaffy:

Apr 2, 2008
NC
As far as Zoie and I goes (yeah, I was Waya for a bit, won't see her around... sorry honey!)

I'll be the Ork Shaman and my wife mentioned a human or elven hacker, she hasn't made up her mind yet.

sogen_kaiju

Katbox Forum Member
Dec 13, 2007
Orange, CA
I have some familiarity with Shadowrun system, love the setting too. This'd be Shadowrun 4e, right Sage?

As far as character ideas go, what's your thoughts on a drake Hermetic Mage?