Katbox outage incoming

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
Over the past week or so Mihari has been battling with a virus we found inside the katbox server. This virus among causing performance problems has been installing mailing scripts and sending out spam all over the internet. It took a whole year for it to become a major issue leading to our katbox emails being blocked by a number of websites. .

Dealing with this has cost us valuable time and delayed our site upgrades.

We've contacted Liquidweb for support and despite making a good effort they are unfortunately out of options other than run Linux Malware detect to try to sniff out the source of the infection. Failing that the Katbox will have to be taken down indefinitely to be reinstalled from scratch.

We aren't sure where we picked this up from. Mihari has shown me evidence that this infection hitched a ride from when we did our server transfer last year. Beyond that we have no way of knowing where it came from.

I'll be frank this isn't something that Mihari has dealt with before and I'm no server guy. We're treading new ground here. I'm extremely worried about something going wrong. On top of that we just got done raising a lot of money for the katbox. If we didn't have over 10 years of reputation as a stand-up place this would look shady as fuck to a lot of people. Raising a ton of money, taking the funds and running off with it.

So I'm going to do my best to be transparent as possible throughout this process. If you haven't already please follow the twitter account @Katbox_Comics for updates on the situation. You can find me at @Mistr_Id as well, and I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

As soon as I'm done posting this I'll be opening a support ticket with LiquidWeb and asking for a backup of the site which we will revert to if things go completely belly up. I'd rather have a virus riddled site than none at all.

Katbox.net will be going down within the next day or so. Please keep in touch with our social media accounts for updates and an ETA.

Thank you for your understanding and we will hopefully see you on the other side of this.

Eradose

Outside contributer, not comunuty member.
Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
Damn, that sounds really bad. Hope you guys can fix this without any further issues. I have faith in you guys, and I'm crossing my fingers that the worst case scenario doesn't happen.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
Yeah I'm really nervous about the whole thing. I hope they can clean it without having to reinstall everything. That's going to be a long headache for Mihari and when it comes to us having to re-connect each comic image to each comic post... Longer comics have a lot more work to do. It will take me days to get everything back together even after the site is brought back online.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Just wondering when this work is being done will it just be a general 404 Not Found deal or will you guys be able to put up some kind of temporary "under repair" kind of image during it?

Gallavant

Jan 6, 2017
Nice to see that the forum is uh.. back? Sort of? I see Silver's avi breaking the 4th wall over there..

Last edited:

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
Thank you everyone for bearing with is on this. I still don't have an ETA on how long it will be before everything is back online but we are working on it.

We're rebuilding a lot of the Katbox's infrastructure from the ground up.

Comics currently online:

-Las Lindas
-Yosh

Current job: Mihari is working on the import file so that we don't have to re-attach every single comic to every single post like I did with Yosh. That was a solid 20 hours of work and if we can avoid repeating that it would be grand.

Most comics will take 8-12 hours to fully restore and we are going in order of comics start date with a priority on main comics. That's assuming that everything goes perfectly in the import and obviously larger comics will take longer. Las Lindas alone took two days to import and restore.

Last edited:

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
This is great news Mister ID! Thanks for the share.

I do have two quick questions. What about the Archive? I noticed those are down. Also, I noticed that none of the outgoing webcomic links at the bottom of Las Lindas are there. When will those be restored?

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
This is great news Mister ID! Thanks for the share.

I do have two quick questions. What about the Archive? I noticed those are down. Also, I noticed that none of the outgoing webcomic links at the bottom of Las Lindas are there. When will those be restored?
Sorry I do not have an answer for either of those yet.

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you everyone for bearing with is on this. I still don't have an ETA on how long it will be before everything is back online but we are working on it.

We're rebuilding a lot of the Katbox's infrastructure from the ground up.

Comics currently online:

-Las Lindas
-Yosh

Current job: Mihari is working on the import file so that we don't have to re-attach every single comic to every single post like I did with Yosh. That was a solid 20 hours of work and if we can avoid repeating that it would be grand.

Most comics will take 8-12 hours to fully restore and we are going in order of comics start date with a priority on main comics. That's assuming that everything goes perfectly in the import and obviously larger comics will take longer. Las Lindas alone took two days to import and restore.
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering when everything would be fixed. It's bad that everything went kablooey all of a sudden. I look forward to seeing my favorite comics online again.

Naldru

Nov 30, 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering when everything would be fixed. It's bad that everything went kablooey all of a sudden. I look forward to seeing my favorite comics online again.
I don't think that everything suddenly went boom at the same time. It seems to be more that when they discovered how extensive it was, the only way to deal with it was to take everything down at the same time. Otherwise, it would simply reinfect itself while they were trying to fix it.

Jan 18, 2017
I don't think that everything suddenly went boom at the same time. It seems to be more that when they discovered how extensive it was, the only way to deal with it was to take everything down at the same time. Otherwise, it would simply reinfect itself while they were trying to fix it.
Oh, okay. That does make sense.

Jan 18, 2017
yes that's pretty much how it happened.

We at first tried cleaning it out ourselves and then asked our host for help. The host couldnt get a handle on it either and recommended a wipe.
Thanks for the info, ID. I was really worried about that because I had just started reading one of the comics on Katbox and had become a BIG fan of it. I'm looking forward to seeing it back on Katbox.

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
Thanks for the info, ID. I was really worried about that because I had just started reading one of the comics on Katbox and had become a BIG fan of it. I'm looking forward to seeing it back on Katbox.
You're welcome. The Katbox isn't going anywhere. It's only a matter of time until we get things back up. And not just back up, but better than ever. We just got done raising money to make site improvements.

I have a lot to do that got delayed because of this virus, not least of which is introducing some new friends who will be joining us this year.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Nov 14, 2016
I would have preferred to find this announcement on the front page of the site, not having to dig deep into the forums.

Please put something on the home page because I doubt I'm the first to just think katbox.net became abandoned, with a picture of a potted plant replacing every single comic I came here for.