Katbox Comment Systems Input

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
Hello, Hello!

I just now saw this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents on the whole issue to get the conversation rolling. I'm not certain if this is the works of eliminating the comment section or not.

Truthfully, I could go either way on the comment section. On the one hand, whenever it was on Las Lindas, there were countless trolls and those people saying FIRST or SECOND on their post. That's all they did. They didn't contribute to the conversation or the piece in general. But on some of the comics, people do comment and chat about the comic that don't show up on the forums, giving additional insight that some of us might not have seen. Case in point, UberQuest and Rascals. Some of the fan theories and comments are hilarious. Truthfully, I just tend to repost whatever I say on here down there. In all honesty, the type of comment platform doesn't matter. What really matters in my eyes is the moderation and accessibility of it all.

Mihari

Katbox Mascot
The Katbox
Apr 24, 2011
Here or There
www.katbox.net
Wordpress is just the built system,
I just realized that perhaps the best comment system would be a note below the page saying something like, "Want to join the discussion? Join the forums here!"
Not necessarily, this has actually come up before, and if I recall correctly people preferred to keep the community on the forums semi seperated from those so readily able to comment on the pages themselves. Sides, most people are inherently lazy, and rather not go through the trouble of registering on a forum.

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
If I had to go with one, I'd say Disqus works best. I say this partially because Wordpress requires an account (I think it did, anyways) and I'm not crazy about making comments Facebook-based.

As for Nixie's point, I feel like inviting folks to partake in the forums would be a nice alternative. I say this just because I think the last time the comics had comments it was, to be frank, a mess. A lot of drama, flame wars, etc.

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I must be thinking of the mess we had with Las Lindas' comments, then. I wasn't unaware the others still had their comment systems since I usually just come to the forums to discuss.

Thanks for the heads up, Mihari.

Aeri

Resident Resident spirit expert
Gallery Volunteer
Nov 26, 2012
Spencerport
steamcommunity.com
Personal Text
Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
My personal take is that it would be really cool if we could use some kind of wizardry to just use forum accounts, is that like, Completely impossible? Or what, I'm not a programmer so I can't even speculate on the feasibility

Captain Video

Frontier Psychiatrist
Gallery Volunteer
Sep 4, 2009
Partially Submerged Boat
ourworld.katbox.net
Personal Text
"No man can eat fifty Faberge eggs!"
Not necessarily, this has actually come up before, and if I recall correctly people preferred to keep the community on the forums semi seperated from those so readily able to comment on the pages themselves. Sides, most people are inherently lazy, and rather not go through the trouble of registering on a forum.
True. I've tried to get a few of the long-time OW readers to come join, and they aren't interested.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
Hrm, well it doesn't just turn itself on...but the LL team is well versed in how to turn their comments off themselves. So I figured if it is an error, they will either fix it shortly or they'll let me know.
I know they had their reasons for turning Disqus off, though might be high time to try it again.