Art Hedgehodge Monster's Self-Aggrandizing Rift Power-Walk

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
hedgehodgemonster.deviantart.com
Personal Text
Beware the Jabberwock, my son...

Love the one of the head coming off, btw.
Your constant support of this thread is really nice sjdjajhdbsndj

Also yeah based on the type of people that jabberwock is based off of... I feel like I should have given it a fedora or someth tbh

Also... You actually liked that drawing with the head coming off? Really??

Cervelet

The Katbox
Jan 5, 2015

Is that Nixie on the left? Please tell me it's Nixie.
Nixie as a space adventurer killing glitches in the time-space continuum is just too good.

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text

Is that Nixie on the left? Please tell me it's Nixie.
Nixie as a space adventurer killing glitches in the time-space continuum is just too good.

I'm... half certain I specified that yes, that IS Nixie.

I'm not sure if the Zoners are LITERALLY "glitches" in space-time but I did deliberately draw them to look glitchy.

They're more like... Faeries? Yeah, Fairies. They live in another world, they steal people and things, you can't really see them properly half the time, they look and act weird... DEFINITELY Fairies.

Here's something I did in MS-PAINT, forgot if I shared it yet:

This is part of a set of five drawings. The two that you don't see here are... shall we say, "bad endings" for this pup.

Yeah, why not? It's fun and the various expressions really work.

People usually don't go for content that involves heads coming off. Anyway if you LIKED that, then you'll love this...

... Guess who has TWO friends who happen to have OCs whose heads can come off without causing harm? *points to self* This guy.

Character on the left is named Malice and she belongs to a person named hiilumaru, character on right is yes, the same girl from that last image, and she belongs to someone called emikochan13 (she's like, my BFF). Idk if I'm able to properly link to things yet, else I'd link to their accounts.

I don't have much else I can really share rn as far as art is concerned aside from doodles and sketches because I barely get time to do art right now. It's a pain in the ass.

[doublepost=1452897696,1452710064][/doublepost]WARNING: HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL CONTENT

Last edited:

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
Methinks the lady doth approve.
HEH

yeah she does

Speaking of whom

Here's a PURPLE SHITHEAD doing some shitty magick and a BATTLE DOGGO who's on the watch (or, depending on how this loads, she's getting a bit impatient with him for showing off. Or, she's watching out so that nobody interrupts his cool battle pose thing).

These are two traditional art things I did in the past... two months. The one with PURPLE FUCKO was done today, in watercolors and inks. The one with RED DOGGER was done some time back in pencils and crayon.

I'm not usually a traditional art person. My sister is though, and she was kind enough to let me have a go at things using her stuff. So yeah I did

... Speaking of shitty magic... When I was making the drawing of the POIPLE CET I wanted to depict him as having some sort of thermal energy or entropy based power, (though, he prefers doing the freezy/cold shit rather than the firey shit).

Instead he just looks like he’s doing both fire and ice magic at the same time or something.

The symbol above his head looks weird because I accidentally tried to erase the pencil lines before paint was dry.

Its basically supposed to be a triangle with a wave. Like a stylized delta S (like how you’d indicate the change in entropy or something in thermodynamics?).

I can imagine people hearing that he does “entropy magic” and getting scared or expecting some EVUL EDGY DARK CHAOS MAGYKK and then he starts rambling about thermal energy and the energy dispersion in a system and how “disorder” is a horribly inaccurate way to describe entropy and then they wish he’d get on with it and make you into a popsicle already

Cervelet

The Katbox
Jan 5, 2015
I think your lineworks looks better on paper (I love the folds on the trousers for some reason THEY ARE SO NICE), but you do need a bit of watercolour practice, there are bits where you've used it way too thick. Scanning also seems to be an issue. Took me a while to figure it out... just stay clear of easy mode, go in professional mode, get rid of all the settings and play around with contrast and luminosity!

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
I think your lineworks looks better on paper (I love the folds on the trousers for some reason THEY ARE SO NICE), but you do need a bit of watercolour practice, there are bits where you've used it way too thick. Scanning also seems to be an issue. Took me a while to figure it out... just stay clear of easy mode, go in professional mode, get rid of all the settings and play around with contrast and luminosity!

Heh funny story. I actually used a phone camera there.

But yeah I probably should have scanned it instead.

And yes I am certainly WAAYY out of practice with using watercolors. If I ever feel inclined to do it again/more I'll probably fuck up less
[doublepost=1453568928,1453138305][/doublepost]I just edited my OP to have proper links to all my most active profiles for art related posting (and occasional shitposting in the case of tumblr), instead of that "dodge the forum rule that prevents you from posting links to things" since it no longer applies to me, apparently.

I'll also put it em in this here post

tumblr: http://tetraclops.tumblr.com or http://hedgehodgemonster.tumblr.com
deviantART: http://hedgehodgemonster.deviantart.com
weasyl: https://www.weasyl.com/~hedgehodge

By the way I wanna talk about a project of mine that isn't strictly like, art-related. But I'm not sure where to post about it.

...it's a videogame I've been developing for a while now. I don't wanna put it here since it's like strictly art

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
Video games, as any medium, can be works of art.

I'll put it in this section then, but not this thread.

also I actually need to patch it up a little. Production is slow and testing even slower so bugs sort of take time to actually be fixed once I manage to notice them,

[doublepost=1453839210,1453626575][/doublepost]One of the things I'd love to do at some point is design monsters for a RPG.

On which note:

A friend recommended PAINT.NET to me after noticing that the loosey-goosey feeling of drawing in MS-PAINT was actually kind of beneficial to my art skills and wanted to recommend a software that would let me take advantage of that and offer higher-level functions typical of things like GIMP and PS.

Dunno what I was doing wrong but PAINT.NET turned out to be a bit finicky and sticky for me during this trial run.

and in news that isn't related to bizarre monster design:

more stuff related to the giggly snuffimals (AKA The Happy Tree Friends). I'm not sure why I ended up liking this series, but... here you go.

[doublepost=1454873185][/doublepost]bump

drew my fursona RAKHSHAS this weekent

I ALSO purchased a currency checker and some highlighters:

[doublepost=1455476666][/doublepost]So the double post merging feature is making these posts look like one uninterrupted block and I'm sort of not completely sure how to feel about that.

Anyway. My fascination for making things with Paint.NET continues. I seem to have figured out how to do lineless stuff now.

Okay so first... I decided to fuse my OC Sego with my friend Jesus-Lizard's little cute trashy lizard boy Jessy:

JL described the fusion design I came up with as "the shared fursona of Immortan Joe and David Bowie" and that seems super accurate

And then I did a trade with my friend Zuzu- a boxing match between my character Doggy and his big buff moth lady Maya

Buff Moth vs. Buff Dog: who would win?

Lemurvid

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2014
Land of Tea
Personal Text
Close to the Edge
Just posting to...
1) break up your stream-of-consciousness.
2) To say thanks for all the weirdness. Your stuff bears no resemblance to anything else on the site, and for that we should all be truly grateful. That last post in particular was a lot of fun. Love the boxing pic.

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
2) To say thanks for all the weirdness. Your stuff bears no resemblance to anything else on the site, and for that we should all be truly grateful. That last post in particular was a lot of fun. Love the boxing pic.

...It's actually very interesting for me/fascinating for me to be described as unique or different.
Because from my own point of view my own work is sometimes a teeming mass of influences from everywhere and from everything that i even remotely liked, so you're gonna have to explain slightly what's so different about what i do??

Also, hee, yeah, the boxing picture was fun to draw. I think I might have finally worked out how to not rely on lines for things so much.

...or so i think. I'll have to do this more often to be sure

Lemurvid

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2014
Land of Tea
Personal Text
Close to the Edge
...It's actually very interesting for me/fascinating for me to be described as unique or different.
Because from my own point of view my own work is sometimes a teeming mass of influences from everywhere and from everything that i even remotely liked, so you're gonna have to explain slightly what's so different about what i do??
I find this difficult to answer, not entirely because of the question itself but because I'm always wary of saying something that might make an artist self-conscious about what they do or, god forbid, start to change it. But I'll have a go.
You say that your work is a mass of influences and that's true of all artists. I just think yours may be different to most of the other people's on this site. There are probably areas of the net (or even just FA...) where your stuff wouldn't seem so different, but here it does. In my opinion at least.
If you look at it in terms of style and content I think both apply. Everyone's style is unique. All the Katbox artists (and I'm including the Community Works here) have their own style and, despite Chalo's long shadow, they're all pretty distinct and recognisable. Yet there's a kind of look, a series of conventions maybe, that sit over most Western Furry art without us really noticing it. And I just think your style sits slightly outside that. I don't think that's something you're trying to do, it just is what it is because you are who you are. This is, of course, a good thing.
But it's the content that's really different. That hybrid in the last post is wilder than pretty much anything else around here (and I'm including @Nixie's recent additions to the Anthronauts cast, which were pretty strange). The glitch-creatures are another good example. The scenarios in your pictures are just things that I don't think anyone else here would think to draw. It may simply be a slight grinding of the gears between different subcultures, who knows? But it's always good to have something other knocking around.
To give it a comics analogy, if the Katbox were Marvel, you're the guy doing Doctor Strange. It's part of the canon, it's got superheroes in it but Woah! Dude! Where are the walls?? And, hey, now it's a movie. So someone liked it.

Anyway, I really don't like to analyse things, particularly art, too deeply. As I said at the start the idea that anything I say might influence someone in some way fills me with a kind of horror. But you did ask. :gleeGeecku:

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
I apologize for the delay in my response, but I've been a bit too busy to sit down and reply to your message. I'm actually blushing like mad that someone actually wrote me an in-detailed thing like this wow.

I find this difficult to answer, not entirely because of the question itself but because I'm always wary of saying something that might make an artist self-conscious about what they do or, god forbid, start to change it. But I'll have a go.
You say that your work is a mass of influences and that's true of all artists. I just think yours may be different to most of the other people's on this site. There are probably areas of the net (or even just FA...) where your stuff wouldn't seem so different, but here it does. In my opinion at least.
Well to be fair that IS true, I usually hang out with a VERY different crowd. But I count the Katbox, or at least LL with being one of the things that kind of set me down this weird path to being the type of furry I am now. I kind of gave up on FurAffinity though- I had a bit of a, let's call it a disagreement with some of the, uh, culture, on that site (if you really wanna know why I quit FA, feel free to PM me but you won't like the answer I reckon)

If you look at it in terms of style and content I think both apply. Everyone's style is unique. All the Katbox artists (and I'm including the Community Works here) have their own style and, despite Chalo's long shadow, they're all pretty distinct and recognisable. Yet there's a kind of look, a series of conventions maybe, that sit over most Western Furry art without us really noticing it. And I just think your style sits slightly outside that.
Hmmmm well, I wanna point out that perhaps my "outsider" status might have SOMETHING to do with me literally not being Western? But that makes no sense because all the furry I've been exposed to all my life was MOSTLY of Western and specifically American origin and I very rarely have any more local influences... But I guess being from a decidedly non-Western place makes me see Western Furry stuff differently from how people over there would see it?

And in turn I'm reminded of how I've kind of been WANTING to infuse my art with something like a local influence I guess? Mostly only because I think it'd be nice to try it. The closest I've gotten to that though is that I've drawn my dude Sego in a sherwani inspired garment like once or twice?

...More likely my "outsider"-ness is because I probably got introduced to the "main" furry culture shit like pretty late and for most of my early internet and art years my exposure to the furries was like. well... 90% of it was SANICS and then I was a major fan of like BIONICLE so basically for a while my exposure to full on furry peeps was low? Or something.

But it's the content that's really different. That hybrid in the last post is wilder than pretty much anything else around here (and I'm including @Nixie's recent additions to the Anthronauts cast, which were pretty strange). The glitch-creatures are another good example.
When you say "Hybrid" are you talking about the fusion between Big Purple People Eater and Small Sassy Lizard Kid? Or the hybrid of a wolf and a dragon that looks partly Seussian and draws on some really classic Western depictions of dragons when they were more monstrous shrek-lizards than anything else?

... To continue on from my last point... at one point I got into monsters and weird shit so some of the people I hang out with are also similar?? And somehow got into like, Glitch art?

hhhh you reminded me I actually need to catch up with Anthronauts. As far as comics go I've exclusively been reading Awful Hospital and Kill Six Billion Demons recently and those are WAY more out there and other than my art is,.

The scenarios in your pictures are just things that I don't think anyone else here would think to draw. It may simply be a slight grinding of the gears between different subcultures, who knows? But it's always good to have something other knocking around.
To give it a comics analogy, if the Katbox were Marvel, you're the guy doing Doctor Strange. It's part of the canon, it's got superheroes in it but Woah! Dude! Where are the walls?? And, hey, now it's a movie. So someone liked it.

Anyway, I really don't like to analyse things, particularly art, too deeply. As I said at the start the idea that anything I say might influence someone in some way fills me with a kind of horror. But you did ask. :gleeGeecku:

I'm pretty keen on analysis of things though so it's not a problem. Hell actually I'd say this kind of feedback loop and playing off of things we say is pretty vital to my creative process. Also after seeing some panels from the comics... I'm super-flattered by the comparison to Doctor Strange. It's only encouraging me to try and strive to be even wilder and weirder with my art really.

If it's any consolation to you... Your words probably won't affect the quality and content of my work that much? Whenever I draw, I let my pen and hands take me wherever they feel best to take me, because no matter what other people tell me, it's usually the FLOW of my art that dictates whether I'm weird and jarring or demure and pleasant in a picture- Seriously, whenever I've actively tried to be weird and strange it's never worked.

[doublepost=1456311150,1455818818][/doublepost]since I posted this in the Undertale thread I should probably post it here.

My first piece of Undertale fanart, basically

Basically imagine a scenario where Toriel absorbs six human souls instead of Flowey

I was listening to Igorrr when I came up with this if that explains anything

[doublepost=1456998571][/doublepost]

BUG DOG? BUB DOG? BOG DOG? BUG DOG? BUG DUG? BUG DUB? BOB DOD? DUB GUB? BUG DIG? BUG DOG? BUB DUB? GUB DUG? GOG DOB?

[doublepost=1457296960][/doublepost]FUSION TIME AGAIN

This time, I fused my fursona Sego with my BFF emikochan's fursona

[doublepost=1457379938][/doublepost]Since Nixie officially approved of this, I think it's fine to post it here now.

Featuring Sego, Nixie, Jessy, Cafeyeen, and Comet.

the joke here is that Cafeyeen (second from the right)'s owner is Nixie's sister

[doublepost=1457894174][/doublepost]BIG NEWS EVERYONE!!!!
poff.

yeah nothing too big there. I just tied my character Doggy's hair back and it turned out super cute. Also she's basically wearing that armor and gear on top of her regular, decidedly more modern clothing. I was about to draw Sego with a similar sort of armor dealie but real life is basically blocking all my attempts to art recently.

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
I still wanna know the story behind the pic with "your three kids." XD
I didn't come up with one beyond "Local fat purple troll gets fiercely protective of small friends, has argument with seal"

Or even like a possible reason why Nixie and Sego are arguing... you're free to come up with your own explanation why though

The more in-detail "meta" story of how this drawing came about is:

Well see I just saw this meme floating around on tumblr which I found HILARIOUS- If you somehow haven't seen it, it involves images of a thing standing next to digitally manipulated smaller version(s) of itself, accompanied with the caption "don't talk to me or my son(s) ever again", KnowYourMeme even has an article about it,

And then basically my OC Sego, he's a big guy right? (He's officially supposed to be like 6'0" but I don't follow that very strictly all the time). And when you compare that to the heights of some of my friends' OCs, especially the three (Jessy, Comet, and Yeen) in that image, they're all so... smol.

I love that. I love small cute characters standing next to lorge ones. I love memes.

And there's one more thing I like- and it's those pictures of like, mom cats taking in chicks or ducklings because imprinting or some shit. Except I guess instead of a mom cat you've got a big purple troll-like cat man taking small lizard, hyena, and dog frends under his wing and giving them little matching jackets.

And then Yeen was making jokes about Sego basically being the "dad friend" and I thought that was funny.

TL;DR: Basically the only story is "Hedgehodge Monster invokes a spicy tumler meme because he loves memes and small furries a lot".

Last edited:

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
That works as an explanation for me. I used to draw completely random stuff like skunks hugging giant bottles of Dr. Pepper.
Speaking of things I did that have weird explanations (or at least, really pretentious ones):

I'll... just leave the thought process behind these ones under a spoiler tag alright

So well mostly I just wanted to mess around/practice with pencils and pastels and shit because I've not practiced using them in a while (not that my skill level with them was very high) and... Well I was playing Shantae: Risky's Revenge and it got me, thinking about like, "Agrabah" type settings in fiction... Settings that are a fucking like, hodgepodge of different Middle-Eastern, North African, and sometimes Southeast Asian cultural elements (regions which often have little in fucking common in the real world beyond "Muslims live there") and have "exotic" things like "Harems" (the Western and Japanese anime idea(s) of what a "harem" is simply makes me go "what the fuck" to be honest) and "Genies" (actual Djinni are way more fucking rad).

Anyway I was thinking "man Shantae is cute but this Orientalist shit makes me feel weird?? I wish these people would at least look at, like- actual buildings with domes and minarets? Some of this shit looks off" and then part of me was like "why don't you do it yourself, then?" and then I was like "...But I'm Pakistani. If I do something like this, it'd basically just be equivalent to what white authors do to Europe all the time? as in, creating a romanticized, fictionalized version of Europe with elves and dragons" and then the first part of me was like "yeah, so? Go do that". the Irony is that these drawings are also done without reference. Maybe next time I'll go look at some like, historic tombs and forts and shit

Also I've long had considered having my furry characters (Sego, Doggy) live in like, a weird cyberpunk version of like my own city (Even though I don't really like my home city that much)? My only issue is I seem to not be able to channel the kind of aesthetic I want into the buildings I draw yet (the low quality of these doodles probably attests to that). Doing more stuff like this will probably help
[doublepost=1458304402,1458020880][/doublepost]time to add to that last post.

I did another pair of sketches recently in a similar vein to the two in my last post. And this time I used references of real life buildings

Or at least I did with ONE of them, which is pretty blatantly based on the Mohatta palace in Karachi. I should probably not post sketchy shit so much, but it's all I can offer you right now. I'm working on some "proper" art though but it's nowhere NEAR complete and some of it is... VERY unsuitable for this forum.

[doublepost=1458336281][/doublepost]
I did this today on an impulse after finding a green pencil lying around outside of the box. I sort of crudely referenced the view from the place i work for it. Like SUPER crudely

Lemurvid

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2014
Land of Tea
Personal Text
Close to the Edge
I did this today on an impulse after finding a green pencil lying around outside of the box. I sort of crudely referenced the view from the place i work for it. Like SUPER crudely
So did you actually do that at work? Naughty person...
Actually, I really like the architecture stuff. It's nice to see views from somewhere different and, as you say, why shouldn't you set stuff there?
After all, everywhere has weird folk tales and stuff (*cough* The Mahabarata *cough*) (and, yes, I know that's India not Pakistan, but it is really weird) so why not make up some new ones? Who needs authenticity really? You have more claim to fake Orientalism than most... :gleeGeecku:

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
So did you actually do that at work? Naughty person...
Actually, I really like the architecture stuff. It's nice to see views from somewhere different and, as you say, why shouldn't you set stuff there?
After all, everywhere has weird folk tales and stuff (*cough* The Mahabarata *cough*) (and, yes, I know that's India not Pakistan, but it is really weird) so why not make up some new ones? Who needs authenticity really? You have more claim to fake Orientalism than most... :gleeGeecku:
Naw, I took a photo of the view out the window with my phone discreetly

and... folk tales? sorry, you confused me with that choice of wording.

I'm not actually going to set anything literally in Karachi though, but I am probably going to reference Karachi when designing the setting visually or some shit

Also

Followup to the Poff draw from earlier. The Poff is now being accompanied by a Lorge.

idk why they're wearing armor or where they got it though.

[doublepost=1458536029,1458457441][/doublepost]I FINALLY DID SOMETHING BIG AND WORTHWHILE it feels like it's been ages omfg

Tried to draw some Zoners lurking in what would basically be their natural habitat. I know I've depicted them lurking around in odd green foggy fields before but those are more like "otherwise normal places that have been touched by Zoners". And it's not really their natural habitat anyway because, *clears throat*

Zoners are entities whose presence is detrimental to the fabric of reality around them. So they were banished a long time ago to a special "dungeon" dimension. However they have far outlived their jailors, and so this "dungeon" dimension has become warped and bent over time as a result of Zoner presence, perhaps irrevocably- which has allowed for conditions to arise that have lead to even more potent and horrific Zonerforms.
It is a broken and forgotten place, stretching out to infinity and wrapping upon itself underneath and through and over a static-filled sky, littered with mountainous forms with molecule-sharp edges that are constantly buffeted by howling winds. The countless inverted valleys and hyperbolic caverns resonate with the sound of electrical crackle endlessly, and all surfaces reflect the magenta unlight cast by Zonersigns in every direction and back upon the sources but never quite illuminating the blinding gloom, Even in their home territory, it's hard to discern where a Zoner actually is until they’re right in front of you- the unnatural gleam of Zonerlight can be spotted in every shifting, gravity-defying inverted caverns, and the shadows of Zoners are cast on the surfaces of distant-and-yet-within-arms-reach warping, jumping jagged rock formations, and their own reality-distorting nature causes numerous illusions and visions to dance in the endless nonfog that fills the realm.

also here are standalone pictures of the three zoners in this picture:

Also- this painting was partly inspired by this:
[doublepost=1463634480][/doublepost]I was waiting till someone replied or commented on anything before I posted more.

as it is I've got a shitton of big things I wanna post about but they'll make this post VERY long

so I'll wait till this chain is broken up before posting them

until then, here's a silly doodle feat. @wrytergirl

Lemurvid

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 29, 2014
Land of Tea
Personal Text
Close to the Edge
Is that for her Birthday? Because it is indeed her birthday. Which reminds me I ought to pop over to the birthday thread...

But before I do, maybe I should clarify my use of the term folk tales. It may offend some, but I tend to think of most religions as collections of folk tales and rank them alongside stuff like the Brothers Grimm. After all, when I was at school we often studied Greek Mythology. Stories of Gods and Monsters. But that was their religion. So why was other countries' stuff Mythology, while ours was Religion?
And then Tolkien came along and did the whole process before your very eyes.
After all, Marvel is doing rather well out of Norse... er ... Mythology, while there are some Scandanavian Black Metal bands that take that stuff very seriously.
So I tend to think that if we don't know who wrote it then it's folk tales. And if some people want to believe it then they can go ahead and do so.
Now that may sound flippant, but of course folk tales are wonderful. They are the root source of pretty much everything we enjoy in the way of narrative. Many of the comics on the Katbox have their own deep rooted fantasy worlds and pantheons that inform the stories. It's all good.
But because I've probably crossed one of the understandably drawn lines in these forums I'll shut up now...

hedgehodge

Katbox Forum Member
May 24, 2012
Personal Text
Is that for her Birthday? Because it is indeed her birthday. Which reminds me I ought to pop over to the birthday thread...

But before I do, maybe I should clarify my use of the term folk tales. It may offend some, but I tend to think of most religions as collections of folk tales and rank them alongside stuff like the Brothers Grimm. After all, when I was at school we often studied Greek Mythology. Stories of Gods and Monsters. But that was their religion. So why was other countries' stuff Mythology, while ours was Religion?
And then Tolkien came along and did the whole process before your very eyes.
After all, Marvel is doing rather well out of Norse... er ... Mythology, while there are some Scandanavian Black Metal bands that take that stuff very seriously.
So I tend to think that if we don't know who wrote it then it's folk tales. And if some people want to believe it then they can go ahead and do so.
Now that may sound flippant, but of course folk tales are wonderful. They are the root source of pretty much everything we enjoy in the way of narrative. Many of the comics on the Katbox have their own deep rooted fantasy worlds and pantheons that inform the stories. It's all good.
But because I've probably crossed one of the understandably drawn lines in these forums I'll shut up now...
yeah but it's not the proper "official" birthday present from me to her. It's just a silly doodle.

The real official birthday present I plan to give her cannot be posted here.

also- thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to get confused.

I might just in fact actually infuse some local myth and folklore into my stuff at some point. Maybe. I've got a whole set of ideas totally independent of it that I wanna work with first

Anyway I was going to, now that you've kindly helped me out by breaking up the flow, post an art update. or at least a highlight reel of some cool stuff I've done since

I'll start off in chronological order but this basically means I'm gonna expose you to something of a heavy hitter right off the bat

(WARNING: VIOLENCE. BRIGHT COLORS.)

Inside this spoiler tab is a vent piece I did some time back, partly drawing inspiration from the feel of Oneohtrix Point Never's "I Bite Through It":

It features my avatar/"fursona" RAKHSHAS. I am aware Rakhshasa are a thing in Hindu Mythology but over here in Pakistan the word was just used indiscriminately to describe any kinda monster or like, an ogre.

and here's a lighthearted jarring change of subject:

this one was just something I did for fun. nothing more to it.

and the next one is REALLY something special. I spent a long time working on it, and it seems to have paid off. It's also musically inspired but of a totally different genre.

this was inspired by listening to Devin Townsend's "Processional"

specifically, it's based on a mental image I got during the first movement of the song, which is appropriately enough called "Starchild Rise"

I also had a pun going through my mind of like, a "stardigrade". Like a giant cosmic tardigrade. So that explains where this girl's appearance comes from. Speaking of, here's a clearer unoccluded look at her:

and basically after this my stamina for BIG hUGE digital painting projects is sort of drained and I drew some traditional doodles instead, here's a few of them:

that midDLE onE is VERY self indulgent I think I MIGht regret posting it after this but I gotta run so here you gO