1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Question "General Discussion" is bombarded with several ad topics

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by ZrengtayPhenbu, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ZrengtayPhenbu

ZrengtayPhenbu New Member

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    = Zreta = CrueltyEX on DA
    [​IMG]

User xiaoqiqi001 posted several ad topics on the subforum "General Discussion", with content of selling false graduation certification of UND, UPenn, SU, UO, ISU, NYIT, NYU, CSUEB and CSUPomona. He leaves his contact account on QQ/Wechat (2 of some widely used online communication services in China) as 596403686.

Should these topics be deleted and put the ad robot into black list?

(I wonder why how the ad robot could pass the register steps and why it chooses to make China-styled ads on this forum with nearly no Chinese... I have to say actually those kind of ads is easy to witness on Chinese forums)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Eradose

Eradose Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, I was just wondering about that when I saw several new topics in Chinese. Might have snuck in when the forum was being remodeled.

3. ZrengtayPhenbu

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    His personal panel states it's today that he joined in. That's strange.

4. Aeri

Aeri Resident Resident spirit expert Gallery Volunteer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
    The odd thing is it's completely unclear what he's advertising, Wants, or anything (Also I can't read Chinese)

5. ID

ID The Katboss Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    They have all been deleted and the user banned, thank you for reporting these.

We have built-in spam filters that keep out 99% of spam and bots. I dont know if any of them are built to block chinese though.

6. ZrengtayPhenbu

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    He is advertising fake graduation certifications (maybe diplomas) of some US universities, so that who owns one can claim himself/herself a graduate from a US university (and this kind of deed is of course illegal). Fake certifications had been a social problem in China allowing some people who never meet the criteria to be able to get certifications as their will as long as they are sure the certification will not revealed fake and they can afford the price. Now these things are kind of out-of-date because institutions managed to set up very rigorous certification systems, but this kind of ads sometimes still appear on Chinese forums...

Uh back to the topic,
    thank you so much for deleting the posts and banning the user, boss. Hope those ad posts don't show up again.
    Changed the category to “Resolved”.

7. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

Hate to bump this when it was supposedly resolved, but the bot(?) is back at it.

I just deleted about seven or so of the ad topics and banned their account (xiaoqiqi004), but it appears they just make new ones.

8. Mihari

Mihari Katbox Mascot Staff Member Katbox Sorceress

Home Page:
    Are you using the "Spam" function to do this moderation? Cause it does all the maintenance in one click and adds them to several blacklists.

9. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

I did. The first five threads I deleted were manually done, but I used the spam tool for the remainder and the ban.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 22, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Just a little bump because the bot or individual came back, again. Already cleaned it up via spam removal.

I would like to note that it may obviously be a bot because the posts are from an IP address 0.0.0.0 or something similar, thus being unable to do an address ban.

10. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

We are still being bombarded!

11. fennec

fennec The Reclining Viking Katbox Patreon

Personal Text:
    I regret nothing
    It has migrated to introductions now

12. ZrengtayPhenbu

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    I am sorry lately I didn't check out my mailbox because of some certain reasons, and it is such bad news these bots haven't stopped spamming yet.
    That's terrible...but if the bots always post similar topics, keyword filter may still work.
    There are few people understanding Chinese language here, thus I should take on and to be helpful solving this. If someone could list out the topics, I can help make a keyword list to prevent similar topics.

13. Darth Dies

Darth Dies The Guardian

Well...
    Will those Asian mofos stop it?!?!?!?

Meijin_Sigma likes this.