1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Error Forums [Test Case]: Unable to Edit/Preview/Submit Posts Containing Many Links

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Wolfey, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Wolfey

Wolfey Logical Lupus

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    That's not what I meant...
    As I had mentioned in an earlier post of mine (from January of this year), I have run into an issue that prevents me from including more than three links in a post. Mihari has done what she can to help me out with this issue, but - unfortunately - none of the fixes attempted so far have worked :crySK:

Specifically, here is what has been happening:
    • When attempting to edit/preview/submit a post containing more than three links, I see the following error message:

The following error occurred:
      Forbidden
      You don't have permission to access <URL> on this server.
      • The actual URL displayed in the error message is based on the URL used for the thread containing that post. In the aforementioned example, the text "<URL>" is being used as a placeholder for that URL.

• The image file "Katbox-Forums_Error-Message_Three-Link-Limit.png", included as an attachment in this post, is an image file showing a screenshot of this error message. However, the URL itself has been edited out: this is because - as mentioned earlier - the actual URL it displays will vary.

• If I wait for a while, I can try to edit/preview/submit the post again (albeit getting the same error message until I have reduced the number of links in my post to no more than three)...but, if I try previewing it too many times in too short of a time period (and I have no idea what the duration of that time period is), I get temporarily blocked from viewing the site.

• Links only seem to cause a problem if they're generated from "[url]" tag sets. Links generated from other tag sets (such as the "[user]" tag set) and plain-text links that get rendered as actual links do not seem to be affected by this issue - I can edit/preview/submit posts containing those types of links successfully, without seeing an error message.

In order to troubleshoot this issue further (and possibly find a solution that will be successful in fixing this issue), I decided to create this thread. If anyone - from new to old, regular member to administrator - wishes to help, please do the following:
    1. Open the text file "Katbox-Forums_Error-Message_Three-Link-Limit_Test-Post.txt", included as an attachment in this post. It contains the contents of a test post for you to submit in this thread.

2. Copy and paste the contents of that file into the text area used for posting to this thread.

3. Try to preview the post (by clicking on the "Preview" button).

• If the preview is successful: you will see a preview of the post (but not the aforementioned error message) - this means that you are not affected by this issue :happyToots: In that case, all you have to do is click on the "Post Reply" button to submit it.

• If the preview is not successful: you will see the aforementioned error message (but not a preview of the post) - this means that you are affected by this issue :cryToots: In that case, please delete the following line (along with the blank line that precedes it):

• Code:
          [url=https://example.com/]This is the fourth of four test links.[/url]  If this is the last link shown in this post, then this post contains [b]four[/b] links - this means that I [b][i][u]am not[/u][/i][/b] affected by the aforementioned issue.

Then, try clicking on the "Preview" button again - it should be successful, at which point you can click on the "Post Reply" button to submit it.
    (NOTE: If you are part of the "New Member" group, forum permissions will prevent you from posting any links until you have been promoted to the "Katbox Forum Member" group :sadDigit: Based on what has been posted in the forums, you will be promoted to the "Katbox Forum Member" group after you have either submitted 50 posts or have been a member of the forums for 30 days, whichever comes first.)

The test posts submitted in this thread will provide valuable information in regard to what is causing this issue...and, hopefully, will provide a solution for it as well.

To every member of the forums who can assist with troubleshooting this issue (by submitting a copy of the test post):

Thank you very much for helping me out with this - I greatly appreciate it, and hope that it will lead to a solution for this issue! :heartMihari:

Attached Files:

2. Nixie

Nixie Seal of Approval Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Ort ort ort
    This is a test post. It will help to determine whether or not I am affected by the issue that prevents a user from including more than three links (from "[url]" tag sets) in a single post.

This is the first of four test links.

This is the second of four test links.

This is the third of four test links. If this is the last link shown in this post, then this post contains three links - this means that I am affected by the aforementioned issue.

This is the fourth of four test links. If this is the last link shown in this post, then this post contains four links - this means that I am not affected by the aforementioned issue.

This concludes the test post for this issue.

3. Mihari

Mihari Katbox Mascot Staff Member Katbox Sorceress

Home Page:
    This is a test post. It will help to determine whether or not I am affected by the issue that prevents a user from including more than three links (from "[url]" tag sets) in a single post.

This is the first of four test links.

This is the second of four test links.

This is the third of four test links. If this is the last link shown in this post, then this post contains three links - this means that I am affected by the aforementioned issue.

This is the fourth of four test links. If this is the last link shown in this post, then this post contains four links - this means that I am not affected by the aforementioned issue.

This concludes the test post for this issue.

4. Wolfey

Wolfey Logical Lupus

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    That's not what I meant...
    Thank you, Nixie and Mihari, for participating in this :gleeAmbar:

(It's also good to see that neither of you are affected by the "three-link limit" issue :happyToots:)​

To anyone who has not yet participated in this (and is able to post content containing links generated from "[url]" tag sets): if you have a moment, please try to post a copy of the test case in this thread - it will help out with troubleshooting this issue :gleeDigit:
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 29, 2016 ---
    It's been over a month since a copy of the test case was last posted in this thread...which has not been as active as I had hoped :sadDigit:
    Forum members who have not yet participated in this are still encouraged to do so...but I want to add an additional step to follow (before pasting the text, in step #2):

When typing up this post, I found out that the rich-text editor - which, until now, I had kept disabled via a setting in my account preferences - appears to automatically force two formatting changes upon (almost)║*1║ any BB Code tags that are present in a post: the tags themselves are capitalized and their values (if present for those tags) have all quotation mark enclosures removed from them...except for the "[url]" tag set, where single quotation marks are added around the value instead of being removed (i.e., "[url=http://example.com/]Sample Link[/url]" becomes "[URL='http://example.com/']Sample Link[/URL]"). BB Code tags in text generated from a post's "Reply" link, along with BB Code tags shown when editing an existing post, are also affected.

(║*1║ Tags that are still displayed as text when the rich-text editor is enabled - "[hr]", "[plain]", "[tt]", etc. - retain their original formatting, rather being reformatted as specified above :confuzzledTiare:)​

Anyway: remember when I mentioned that I couldn't edit or preview a post if it contained more than three links generated from "[url]" tag sets (because it showed the error message mentioned in the first post of this thread)? Well, it turns out that if I have the rich-text editor enabled...I can edit/preview those posts without seeing that error message :amazeToots:

I then disabled the rich-text editor (via a setting in my account preferences), followed by trying to preview a copy of the test case...and saw the error message once again. Attempting to edit a post (that had more than three links and was posted before this issue appeared) also had the same outcome...so what was going on here? :dropToots:

After noticing what the rich-text editor did to the formatting of BB Code tags in my earlier attempts, I made sure that it was disabled (again, via a setting in my account preferences); then, I manually adjusted the formatting used for the BB Code tags - particularly the "[url]" tag - to match how the rich-text editor formatted them. When I did this...the preview worked!

On further inspection, I found out why: the three-link limit only seems to apply to "[url]" tag sets where the URL is not enclosed in a set of single quotation marks. This means that I could have any number of "[url]" tag sets with their URLs enclosed in single quotation marks, and up to three of these tag sets without that enclosure for their respective URLs...but once I add a fourth "[url]" tag set with a URL that is not enclosed in single quotation marks, the error message shows up again.
    @Nixie: When you posted a copy of the test case, was the rich-text editor enabled at the time? I noticed that, on closer inspection║*2║ of your copy of the test case post, the BB Code tags have had their formatting modified in the same way that the rich-text editor modifies them. If possible, could you try to post another copy of the test case, but with the rich-text editor disabled for the duration of the procedure (to ensure that the pasted text retains its original, unmodified formatting when the post is submitted)? If you could try doing this, I would greatly appreciate it :gleeCheng:

(║*2║ If the rich-text editor is disabled, clicking on the "Reply" link for someone's post will - aside from the addition of a set of "[QUOTE]" tags - show the exact content of their message, including the BB Code tags, in their original [unmodified] formatting. The formatting used for the BB Code tags themselves does not affect the outward appearance/functionality of the text enclosed in them, which is why I did not notice this detail at the time I last posted a message in this thread. However, since the rich-text editor alters how BB Code tags are formatted - especially the "[url]" tag set, where the changes to it do have an effect on the outcome of the test case - I will now be looking out for this detail in all future test case posts that anyone posts in this thread.)​

@Mihari: Since the contents of your test case post are identical to the contents of the original test case post, I can safely assume that the rich-text editor was disabled when you performed this procedure. You do not need to submit another copy of the test case :gleeMihari:

(In addition, this proves that you are definitely not affected by this issue, since you can post more than three "[url]" tag sets that do not have their respective URLs enclosed in single quotation marks.)​

Finally, I'd like to note that - while a workaround for this issue exists - this issue is not resolved yet.

Before this issue appeared, I could edit/preview/submit posts without having to format my "[url]" tag sets a specific way. This issue will only be resolved when I can do this again (i.e., successfully - without seeing an error message - edit/preview/submit posts containing at least four "[url]" tag sets that do not have their respective URLs enclosed in single quotation marks).

(This issue may seem like a trivial thing...but it reveals something that I find to be very interesting: for the "[url]" tag set, BB Code help pages clearly show that - when the URL is included as a value for that tag - the URL is not enclosed in anything. If the single quotation marks are supposed to be required [based on how the rich-text editor formats BB Code tags], then all of the examples shown for the "[url]" tag set are incorrect; conversely [and, in this case, far more likely], if the single quotation marks are supposed to be optional, then something is affecting their functionality here on the forums [at least, for my own forum account.)​

Attached Files: