Forum RSS?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Mowser

Dec 9, 2009
From what I remember, SMF supports rss feeds for each of it's forums/subforums as long as it's turned on. Would it be possible to enable this for the forums? There are some subforums that I'd like to pay particular attention to.

Wolfey

Logical Lupus
Apr 21, 2007
Kittanning, PA, USA
wolfey.sillydog.org
Personal Text
That's not what I meant...
[quote author=Mao Laoren link=topic=5192.msg134918#msg134918 date=1267557149]
From what I remember, SMF supports rss feeds for each of it's forums/subforums as long as it's turned on. Would it be possible to enable this for the forums? There are some subforums that I'd like to pay particular attention to.
[/quote]
It should be pretty easy to set up - all of the necessary information is provided in the first post of the "Getting the Most Out of SMF - XML, RSS and RSS2 (and Atom and RDF) feeds" topic at the Simple Machines Forums.

SoulKat: in order to enable the feeds, just perform the steps under the "[tt]First, make sure you've enabled the feeds:[/tt]" section :gleeMiles:

Everyone: once the feeds have been enabled for the forums, read the "[tt]Now, on to the fun stuff.[/tt]" section - it provides useful information about how to customize the contents of a feed through its URL :gleeToots:

Wolfey

Logical Lupus
Apr 21, 2007
Kittanning, PA, USA
wolfey.sillydog.org
Personal Text
That's not what I meant...
[quote author=Mao Laoren link=topic=5192.msg138579#msg138579 date=1270459533]
\o/ Woo! Ah thank ya. :D
[/quote]
Thank SoulKat for enabling it :gleeDigit:

More appropriately, *what* is an RSS? :blushAlej:
It's better known as a "web feed" - "RSS" is just one of its formats. Basically, a web feed allows you to keep track of recent updates to a site without having to directly visit that site :gleeAmbar:

If a site has a web feed available, your browser will let you know of this by showing the following icon (at a much smaller size, of course ;P):

[img alt={Web Feed Icon}]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Feed-icon.svg/128px-Feed-icon.svg.png[/img]

So, how does the forum RSS work, Wolfey? :confuzzledRandal:
It works the same way as most web feeds: load it into your feed reader of choice (such as your browser or E-Mail client) and add* it to your list of web feeds. That's all you have to do :gleeRandal:

(* - also referred to as "subscribing" to a web feed; many browsers will have a "Subscribe" button/link for this function.)

At first, it may not seem to be that useful - SMF's default web feed only shows the five most recent posts from all of the boards combined...and the forum can easily get many more posts than that in a short period of time :amazeDigit:

Fortunately, SMF's web feed isn't limited to that - with some modifications to its URL, adjustments can be made to the following fields:

• The board(s) or categor(y|ies) to show: a category includes all of the boards in a particular subforum ("Katbox.net", "Las Lindas", etc.). [Default: All boards]
  • The number of posts to show: this can be any number from five to 255. [Default: Five]
  • The web feed format: the available formats are Atom, RDF, RSS 0.91, RSS 2.0 and XML. [Default: (None)]

(NOTE: The first two fields are optional - if nothing is specified for them, the default value will be used. The third field is required - if left blank, it will load the forum's home page instead of the web feed. While it does not have a default value, the default web feed uses the "XML" format - this can be considered the default for that field.)

With this information, you can do quite a few things with the web feed: show more posts, use a format compatible with your feed reader, only show posts from all of the "Las Lindas" subforums, only show posts from the "Comic Discussion" subforums of each comic, etc. If you want to try it out, take a look at this:

It should be pretty easy to set up - all of the necessary information is provided in the first post of the "Getting the Most Out of SMF - XML, RSS and RSS2 (and Atom and RDF) feeds" topic at the Simple Machines Forums.

<...>

Everyone: once the feeds have been enabled for the forums, read the "[tt]Now, on to the fun stuff.[/tt]" section - it provides useful information about how to customize the contents of a feed through its URL :gleeToots:
Also, if you're not sure how to customize it, just tell me what you want to change (in regard to the three fields posted above) and I can provide you with a customized web feed URL :happyToots: