Art EmoFuri Things

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Skidd

UBERQUEST
The Katbox
Feb 8, 2014
So there's this program called "EmoFuri" or "E-Mote Movie Maker"
And you can draw your characters in and the program will animate them for you.. it's all japanese and is a bitch to install/learn.. but now that I have.. I can make these little things.. so I thought I'd share them as I make them.

First is Sesame:

[DOUBLEPOST=1404634042,1404634007][/DOUBLEPOST]Second is Kibbles:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Woah! :amazeWT: These are pretty cool. I've been seeing them around the Internet, but I didn't think I'd see versions of KB characters.

Awesome job on these! I especially like the Sesame one.

ScorpDK

The Thread Ender
Mar 4, 2011
Personal Text
Welp
Huh, beat me to it, 4 times.
I machine-translated the manual, but that just makes some steps sound rather convoluted and unnecessary.

Still, very nice stuff thar.

Dec 9, 2013
Personal Text
This text is personal to me
These are so good! You could make a animated dialogue between two characters with this easily. I don't know what you would do with it but it would be awesome!

ScorpDK

The Thread Ender
Mar 4, 2011
Personal Text
Welp
This looks like the sort of thing we should be using to make animated avatars for KB characters. Oh wait, animated avatars don't work on this forum, do they? X_X
Mihari increased the filesize limit for avatars slightly, so you could technically have a 156x156 / 192x192 animated GIF avatar - if you so desire. My animated avatar, since it is an APNG, went into the signature box...didn't bother changing that, yet. (probably because the forums somehow decided they had to upscale 100x100 pictures to 192px and therefore make it look blocky and stuff)

MrAMP

No. 1 Fun Guy
Apr 17, 2011
USA
Personal Text
Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
OMG!!! The happy Kibbles is just too cute!

Nekonny

The Katbox
Apr 20, 2007
Personal Text
But its a good one!
I'm gussing you could make a viable animated avatar if you had decent editing software and took some precautions when shading your drawings. What do the people mostly use when it comes to creating animated gifs?

Dec 20, 2013
Definitely see how this can be used to fit more into your comic pages, each panel with different scenes playing out. The fight scenes could even become fluid, making it easier to understand what is going on. Keep practicing and I could see this comic becoming much more with the addition of this program.

I'm gussing you could make a viable animated avatar if you had decent editing software and took some precautions when shading your drawings. What do the people mostly use when it comes to creating animated gifs?
You can make the panel without the characters in it. Like all animation, each movement of the character must be created slightly different from the started. Once animation of character done, align it with the panels make them pop out. Animated dialog and movement can convey the story better in a single page compared to comics chapter drawn out over 3 pages, meaning you cram more into each chapter.

Narrative will naturally flow much easier without messing with the scene you are trying to convey, but it must last longer than other actions and must explain the scene perfectly first before animation starts. Each panel can have their own action, allowing for more of the story to be told without taking up much space. In an single page with animation in each panel, you could probably tell 3 pages worth of story without taking up much space. Of course what makes or breaks this process depends on how you use the panels for each scene. Must figure out the shape of panel that will display the animation perfectly without destroying the sense of story telling.

I seen some comics with mouse over panels, allowing for one animation to stop and another to start. Haven't figure out how to do this yet... damn it, wish I could just straight up ask the artist how they do it without coming across as wanting to be a copy cat. These are some of the things I learned by tinkering and from viewing other comics with animation. I am still learning, I tinker with stuff here and there. I have my own Microsoft Paint, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9, Corel Draw x5, Jasc Animation Shop 3, and EmoFuri program I use. Combining the use of all the programs allows me to alter comics, photos, or animation depending on how I want too. I never got the chance of actually becoming more in-depth in my artwork, due to not being taught by other adept artists.

Lacking the understanding and techniques from other artists, I probably will never be able to create my own comic... *Sigh.*

One thing I learned though with animation, flat colors are the best to use for animation, allows for faster work and less chance of shadows making the comic feel unnatural.

Last edited:

Phuufy

Super Duper Drawer Person!
The Katbox
Feb 17, 2014
.....spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacee!
Personal Text
Rainbows and Unicorns -- and Giant Super Crab Mechs!
Definitely see how this can be used to fit more into your comic pages, each panel with different scenes playing out. The fight scenes could even become fluid, making it easier to understand what is going on. Keep practicing and I could see this comic becoming much more with the addition of this program.

You can make the panel without the characters in it. Like all animation, each movement of the character must be created slightly different from the started. Once animation of character done, align it with the panels make them pop out. Animated dialog and movement can convey the story better in a single page compared to comics chapter drawn out over 3 pages, meaning you cram more into each chapter.

Narrative will naturally flow much easier without messing with the scene you are trying to convey, but it must last longer than other actions and must explain the scene perfectly first before animation starts. Each panel can have their own action, allowing for more of the story to be told without taking up much space. In an single page with animation in each panel, you could probably tell 3 pages worth of story without taking up much space. Of course what makes or breaks this process depends on how you use the panels for each scene. Must figure out the shape of panel that will display the animation perfectly without destroying the sense of story telling.

I seen some comics with mouse over panels, allowing for one animation to stop and another to start. Haven't figure out how to do this yet... damn it, wish I could just straight up ask the artist how they do it without coming across as wanting to be a copy cat. These are some of the things I learned by tinkering and from viewing other comics with animation. I am still learning, I tinker with stuff here and there. I have my own Microsoft Paint, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9, Corel Draw x5, Jasc Animation Shop 3, and EmoFuri program I use. Combining the use of all the programs allows me to alter comics, photos, or animation depending on how I want too. I never got the chance of actually becoming more in-depth in my artwork, due to not being taught by other adept artists.

Lacking the understanding and techniques from other artists, I probably will never be able to create my own comic... *Sigh.*

One thing I learned though with animation, flat colors are the best to use for animation, allows for faster work and less chance of shadows making the comic feel unnatural.

The EmoFuri Animation doesn't work that way - it's only face on animations or half turned faces - and only half bodies. This would GREATLY limit the possibilities with the panels. Here are some problems with things you are suggesting.

1) The comic would take MUCH longer to make, while small animations may be possible (but likely limited to one or possibly two panels), doing the comic in the manner you suggested would be tedious and we wouldn't be able to keep our schedule of updating twice a week. It would also be cumbersome to try to the do the narrative as you explain.
2) If we were going to do as you suggested, it would have to be made in Flash.. usually though if you are going to do something like that you may as-well just be making fully animated flash movies of the story. Which animation is even more time-consuming and difficult then doing comics - it would literally take months to covered what we could do in pages in a couple of weeks. It's great for some that have the patience but that is not what we are wanting to do. This kind of comic pages would also be VERY memory heavy and we don't want to load the Katbox down with huge file sizes of the comic just to do a 1 minute animation or have dialogue appear as someone places their cursor over it. This would also probably have to be edited into the website to get it to work, as it is only set up for basic .pngs/.jpgs and not .swf - we do not pay for hosting here nor do we control the website templates. If this was something easily done I am sure Chalo or one of the Katbox artists would have already done it by now.
3) Your suggestions on how to technically do the comic seem all over the place and I am not sure you understand fully how this would even work. We appreciate you taking interest in our comic or little things like this however our feedback was more or less on writing and how it looked rather then a technical aspect of telling the narrative.

I wouldn't suggest giving up on making your own comic - just try a simpler approach until you learn how to make more complex narrative styles of displaying them. Don't try to copy Homestuck - which is where I assume you got most of your ideas for doing comics from as they have a similar approach. Before technical aspects you need alot more invested into it.. such as having a story, being able to draw the comic, being dedicated (like obsessively dedicated) and loving what you do. I suggest researching it and possibly hiring an artist/writer to help you. It took about 3 months to fully realize our comic and a whole month of buffering up and working in and out every day for a month to get up to launching the comic.