E3 Trailers

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
After a weird 12hrs Livestream of nothing with just people playing with balloons and a Vaultboy Hand Puppet, Bethesda finally releases its Trailer for Fallout 76

For what I could gather, the only known thing about Vault 76 it was one of the controlled Vaults and it had 500 occupants at the time, it was mention in a log on Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta, and Fallout 4. Vault 76 was a Prototype Vault - it was called 76 because it debuted in 2076, to commemorate the U.S. 300 anniversary, one year before the Bombs dropped.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I saw bits and pieces of the Twitch stream, and initially thought it would be a remastered version of Fallout 3. We're closing in on the 10th anniversary of Fallout 3's initial release, and they had things like party streamers and balloons, in the stream.

Seeing this, I am excited, but skeptical. Fallout's always a good thing, for me, but there are so many rumors about MMO's (there's an Elder Scrolls Online, so anything's possible) and base/city-building games that I remain uncertain.

The only guess I'll make now is based on the game's song. John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Road" immediately conjures thoughts of the Appalachian Mountains. Perhaps Vault 76 was situated somewhere in West Virginia or another part of the mountains.

EDIT: I forgot to include this bit, but my skepticism on the gameplay stems from a Kotaku writer suggesting that Bethesda is taking the IP in a different direction, with this installment. According to Jason Schreier, "anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed".

Last edited:
I saw bits and pieces of the Twitch stream, and initially thought it would be a remastered version of Fallout 3. We're closing in on the 10th anniversary of Fallout 3's initial release, and they had things like party streamers and balloons, in the stream.

Seeing this, I am excited, but skeptical. Fallout's always a good thing, for me, but there are so many rumors about MMO's (there's an Elder Scrolls Online, so anything's possible) and base/city-building games that I remain uncertain.

The only guess I'll make now is based on the game's song. John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Road" immediately conjures thoughts of the Appalachian Mountains. Perhaps Vault 76 was situated somewhere in West Virginia or another part of the mountains.

EDIT: I forgot to include this bit, but my skepticism on the gameplay stems from a Kotaku writer suggesting that Bethesda is taking the IP in a different direction, with this installment. According to Jason Schreier, "anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed".
Hmm. Multiplayer then?

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
But Fallout 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.
Source: Kotaku

I am taking this with a heapin' metric ton of salt, given that the sources are a few unnamed sources "familiar with the project".

That said, if this is true, then this takes a lot of the wind out of my sail, as far as hype. As much as I love the Fallout franchise, games like Rust just weren't my cup of tea. I don't mind if it has a DayZ feel to it, but I don't know if I want a multiplayer element.

Pontius

Katbox Forum Member
Sep 21, 2007
Maryland
Source: Kotaku

I am taking this with a heapin' metric ton of salt, given that the sources are a few unnamed sources "familiar with the project".

That said, if this is true, then this takes a lot of the wind out of my sail, as far as hype. As much as I love the Fallout franchise, games like Rust just weren't my cup of tea. I don't mind if it has a DayZ feel to it, but I don't know if I want a multiplayer element.
Kotaku has a relatively good track record with regards to Fallout leaks (having leaked some less-than-guessable in-game information about FO4 some years before its release IIRC), and FO76 information was definitely leaked well before the teaser, so it's not impossible. That said we don't have much information of how the game will be online barring "It will be", likewise just how much of a focus will be on the base-building / construction aspects besides "It will be present".

Best case scenario based on the leaks is that it's an attempt to cash in on the model of games like Rust, DayZ, and so-on: Maybe not the best direction for a Fallout game, but one it can fit into. It's unlikely to be a worse divergence than Brotherhood of Steel, at least.

Worst case scenario is... a Brotherhood of Steel quality divergence. Or Metal Gear Survive.

Todd Howard dropped a new trailer, at Microsoft's E3 show. It's also confirmed to take place in West Virginia.

I like the fact that there is a bit of color and living trees in this world. Considering this is more recent after the war, 25 years, enough time has passed for nature to heal itself. While WV is close to Washington DC, the likely primary target of the missile barrage for most of the U.S., I don't expect it to have suffered that much damage outside for the state capitol itself, like as it was done to DC, Boston, NYC, LA, Vegas, Chicago and the other major cities suffered.

Also, poor soldier.

Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I just got done watching the Bethesda showcase. I was able to get home, in time, to catch the stuff about Fallout 76.

So, we've confirmed that Vault 76 is one of the earliest opened vaults of the batch, and it takes place in West Virginia. They've also confirmed that, while you can do solo quests, the game is just as the rumors said: squad-based survival. Teams of people work together to explore the landscape, salvage supplies, and fortify a base to defend against other squads and the wildlife. There are also missile silos hidden throughout the region, and squads that capture them can use them on other people's bases a la CoD style.

The landscape looks amazing, I loved the oddly-cozy country atmosphere, and they had some great-looking monsters. However, the format is so unusual for me that it sucks out a lot of the interest I had in this. I want to be excited for this, I really want to. However, I fell in love with Fallout for the atmosphere, exploration, storytelling, and some gameplay elements. This game doesn't seem to capture enough of that, in my opinion.

---

Bethesda also dropped two huge announcements that were worth noting.

First, they're releasing their first new IP in many, many years. All we know is that its called Starfield, and the brief logo unveiling makes it obvious that its some kind of sci-fi or space exploration game. I'm curious to see what comes from that.

The second announcement? Well...

Last edited: