1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by White Tiger, Jun 10, 2017.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

It's that wonderful, magical time of year, again, folks. No, the Steam summer sales aren't here, yet.

E3's finally here and, as always that means the industry bigwigs are going to be parading themselves on stages and announcing new titles. Let's start things off with something from BioWare and EA.

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    Stand up for what you believe in!
  3. White Tiger

Microsoft was up to bat, today, and they finally unveiled the mysteriously-named Project Scorpio.

[​IMG]

They're calling it the Xbox One X, and it's supposed to be capable of 'true' 4k gaming, backwards compatibility with Xbox One games, and the leanest/smallest physical build of any Microsoft console to date.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 11, 2017 ---
    In addition to this new announcement from Microsoft, here's a brief list of other trailers that got released. I'll link them instead of embedding them, to spare the page loading time.

Metro: Exodus

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Kingdom Hearts 3

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    Kinda a lackluster year thus far. :(

5. Curran

Curran ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ Staff Member Administrator

Of the Bethesda showings, I was mostly positive. That said, nothing was really earthshattering or huge (though my money is on a new Elder Scrolls announcement in 2018), but there's some nice things to look forward to.

Sanctioned mods for all platforms is nice, hopefully this will improve the variety of mods on ps4, which I desperately want.

New Wolfenstien looks fun, looks like they are taking a page from the over the top and not quite as serious Doom 2016, which is a smart move.

Only thing that I'm really negative on is Evil Within 2. The trailer provided really showed a game without much of an identity. It went from tense and creepy horror to run and gun action. I have a fear that it is going to show up like that at launch, and fail to be a good horror game or a good action game.

6. Urien Lævateinn

Urien Lævateinn Knight- Errant

Wait. The Xbox one X? There's going to be a new generation of consoles? But I just bought a PS4!

7. White Tiger

I thought the Bethesda showcase was a mixed bag. I agree with Curran in that it had some good stuff to it, but nothing ground-breaking.

I'll try to trim and summarize my points, to avoid being wordy:

• Wolfenstein was the winner of the showcase, I think. It looks like they're taking what they did well, with the New Order, and mixing in some elements of Doom -- just as Curran said.
    • I think they're somewhat overplaying their hand, with the Elder Scrolls franchise. The MMO is just starting to come off the ground, and the card game spin-off seems second-rate.
    • I am happy that they're continuing the Dishonored franchise, and bringing back Daud and Billie Lurk. That said, I'm skeptical of them going after a character like the Outsider, and making that the main story.
    • The Evil Within 2 looks iffy to me, and I'm not sure how it'll fare with fans of the horror (sub-)genre, but it might just not be my cup of tea.
    • I am very skeptical about Quake. Yes, it was the OG of e-sport titles and still has a healthy following. However, Bethesda seems to be trying to hype it up, and I think it'll hit a wall if it tries to compete with e-sport titles like DotA, League of Legends, CS:GO, and Overwatch.
    Instead of summarizing it as a point, I wanted to (try to) briefly discuss the introduction of Creation Club.

I agree with Curran that sanctioned mods could be a big help for (a) increasing the number of mods on the console versions and (b) making more stable, polished mods. I also think that offering a way for dedicated mod developers to make a bit of money out of it could encourage many to jump in, thanks to Bethesda funding them via the program.

The biggest point of skepticism, from me, remains in how things will be categorized and priced. I am aware that Bethesda will only slap a pricetag on wholly new mods, but I am curious how much it'll cost -- after the dollar-to-credit rate is shown to us -- and which mods will be free and which will cost money.

Lastly, I am curious -- if not concerned -- as to how this will affect mod communities like NexusMod and Steam Workshop. I think its awesome that some mod devs may want to consider Creation Club since, hey, these big, detailed mods can turn into part or full-time programming jobs, for their creators. However, I worry if sanctioned mods are Bethesda's attempt to 'tame' and limit a very creative, diverse, but admittedly sprawling community. After all, they're not fond of certain types of mods, and this could be their way to curb that.

EDIT: Went back and redid my post to be a little less wordy and/or more organized.

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 12, 2017 ---
    Holy. Shit. They actually confirmed it.

Dat female lead doe.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Rebel

Personal Text:
    No, mid gen upgrade like the PS4 Pro. Premium console for a price.

Both are 4k capable with all nice bells and whistles.

9. GearGades

GearGades Katbox Forum Member

Home Page:
    Nintendo Direct - in the Works Pokemon RPG game and Metroid Prime 4.

10. GearGades

Home Page:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. kevassilu

kevassilu Katbox Forum Member

Damn Nintendo is killing it. I gotta get a switch.

Xenoblade 2 looks amazing, Mario Odyssey looks amazing, the new Kirby and Yoshi games look great, really looking forward to Metroid prime 4 and Shin Megami Tensei HD project. I'm gonna have to look into getting a Switch soon.

12. Merrick Rose

Merrick Rose Katbox Forum Member

Personal Text:
    I like the way you die, boy.
    Not just one, but TWO Metroid games. This one looks to be a remake of Metroid II.

Samus. Is. BACK.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  13. Falc

Falc Bat Friends Gallery Volunteer

Personal Text:
    Resident Nihilist
    Nintendo had a very good E3 this year. I'm looking forward to pretty much all of their stuff. No news on Fire Emblem Switch, so I assume that that will get an E3 announcement next year.

14. GearGades

Home Page:
    honestly, unlike what they did this time on the first year of the Wii-U, they had the first year of the Switch fully packed with games.

15. Radagast

Radagast Gallery Volunteer

Apparently we got some gameplay footage for Monster Hunter World