Disney shuts down LucasArts game division.

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Eradose

Outside contributer, not comunuty member.
Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
I wish this was an April Fools joke, but today Disney announced that they will be shutting down LucasArts. Here's Disney's quote on this.

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.
This has also come alongside the news that Star Wars 1313 might have gotten the axe. Although this will no longer be developed by LucasArts, there is a rumor saying that they might look for an external development company to work on it if Disney decides to have development continue.

Here's the news article covering the story.
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/49526/lucasarts-shut-down-by-disney

So, what are you're thoughts on this?

Ironfoot

Prime Minister of Fun!
Jul 7, 2010
ironfootkb.deviantart.com
They should never have stopped making X-wing and Tie Fighter games! Those things could of carried them through eternity...

The thing is, they haven't made many good games in house recently. The best stuff has been farmed out. Still, sad to see them go.

HonorBoundBrony

Equestrian Knight In-Training
Sep 18, 2012
I just found out myself. I'll admit, I'm not quite sure what to feel about it. I've had some good times with Star Wars games growing up, so it's a bit of a shame, but I know that the more recent Star Wars games have not been receiving well, so I guess it's understandable. When something isn't working out, something needs to be done about it, I suppose.

Looking back, I think the first Star Wars game I played was the first Rogue Squadron game for the N64. I don't quite know if LA was responsible for them, but I guess it just snowballed after that when I got a hold of the game's sequel, "Battle for Naboo"... Then again, I didn't really give a damn, or even really know anything about game ratings back then, so I'm not sure if I should feel ashamed or not.

Eradose

Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
How could they do this?! Now who's gonna make a Monkey Island anniversary collection? :crySarah:
Much like Sam and Max, Telltale Games bought the rights to the Monkey Island series a while ago. They're the ones who made the remakes of the first and second games, not Lucasarts.

Also, dose this mean they might be shutting down the Old Republic MMO?

HonorBoundBrony

Equestrian Knight In-Training
Sep 18, 2012
That's what I'm wondering as well. I'm having a hard enough time just trying to play it, so shutting it down would be a major load off my mind. I wonder how they would handle that with the players, though.

Mar 26, 2010
Land of the Free
Personal Text
Stand up for what you believe in!
A Vladimir Putin quote comes to mind, with a few replacements.

Whoever wants to keep LucasArts around is a fool. Whoever won't miss it has no heart.

Eradose

Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
Well, Disney just announced that all Star Wars games for the next few years will be developed by EA. Bioware has been confirmed as one of the studios that EA will have working on these new games (which might be good news for you fans of the original KOTOR), as well as DICE and Visceral Games.

If Visceral is going to be working on a Star Wars game, dose this mean that 1313 might see the light of day? And DICE, the original creators of the Battlefield series? Maybe Battlefront 3 will also see the light of day. But let's not get our hopes up just yet. After all, EA hasn't had the greatest track record recently.

Tenjen

Lynx Ram
May 19, 2008
Personal Text
half-bah maow's*
i'am out.

*lynx lamb climbs into a mini space rocket*

*rocket charges up and immediately explodes right on the spot leaving a sizeable crater and a category 4 seismic event*

UStudios

The invisible Colorist
The Katbox
Jul 9, 2008
well here comes the always online Starwar game... what could go wrong...

oh right... Sim city

KABOOOOM

Eradose

Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net

Cervelet

The Katbox
Jan 5, 2015
Just a little update guys!
After having been kept hostage by a Lucasarts not interested in anything non-Star Wars, the Monkey Island license is being kept hostage by Disney (shudder).
Disney has announced they had no plans for the license (well, they already stole enough bits of it as it is for Pirates of the Caribbean), and the creator of Monkey Island has stepped in.
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/...on-creator-wants-to-buy-both-ips-from-disney/

Monkey Island has been a huge influence for me as a child- colours, humour, storytelling have stood with me and I have a soft spot for the adventures of Guybrush. I would love to see the franchise being returned to someone who actually cares about it.

Darth Dies

The Guardian
Feb 25, 2016
Unknown
Much like Sam and Max, Telltale Games bought the rights to the Monkey Island series a while ago. They're the ones who made the remakes of the first and second games, not Lucasarts.

Most likely
[doublepost=1464297045,1464296869][/doublepost]And just when I started to accept the fact Disney is now in charge of SW....*cris*

SCREW YOU!! YOU RICH BAISTERDS!!

Cervelet

The Katbox
Jan 5, 2015
I kinda stopped caring about the Star Wars games early on. Not because of quality- there were fine games!- but the sheer gigantic, stupidly enormous amount of them piled up in a mountain of games while I witnessed every single of their adventure game franchises get ignored. I mean, it took SEVEN YEARS until they did a Monkey Island again... NO WAIT THEY DIDN'T. They had someone else do it under license.

That gave the Star Wars games a very bitter note to me, so I'm not really able to care much for them.

Cervelet

The Katbox
Jan 5, 2015
so the way it's going is that Disney will keep the licenses in a safe and refuse to let anyone do anything with it.

Especially Monkey Island. *longfull sight*