1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Blizzard's Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by White Tiger, Nov 7, 2014.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

This just popped up in my YouTube newsfeed and thought it'd be good to post here.

For those that don't have the time to watch the video (as the title says, it goes on for about 40 minutes), TotalBiscuit discusses the nuance and debate surrounding Overwatch's cosmetics and the two systems (micro-transaction and progression) for the cosmetics.

The gist of the video is that (a) Blizzard's decision to have a progression system is justified by consumer demand, (b) Blizzard is in the right for making the unlockable elements purely cosmetic because it makes the game purely about the mechanics, (c) the micro-transaction system Blizzard uses is not anti-consumer because its for a product that doesn't affect the gameplay, and (d) the main area for improvement is in the fact that the loot boxes have an RNG factor to them, and that encourages grinding (albeit for something that doesn't affect gameplay).

My two cents on the subject is that it really isn't an issue. After all, as TB said, the items obtained from loot boxes are cosmetic; they don't affect gameplay whatsoever. Blizzard also did a good job of avoiding unnecessary focus on the micro-transaction system. It's just there for people who really want those cosmetic items, but lack the time or patience to grind loot boxes.

The one area that I am on the fence about is the RNG factor that the loot boxes have. While I would've preferred the League of Legends method of getting skins (you can earn in-game credit for a specific skin for a specific character), I think the random loot box system is a tolerable way of Blizzard integrating the consumer-demanded progression system. The RNG factor could (big emphasis here) encourage players to grind for loot boxes, but it isn't by any means forced nor is it for anything game-changing, thus it really isn't anti-consumer in any way.

2. Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher Gallery Volunteer

3. ID

ID The Katboss Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I said before I wasn't getting Overwatch. I'd lost a lot of trust in Blizzard over WoW and the initial state of Diablo 3. And really Overwatch didn't seem all that interesting to me, but I wound up getting it because so many of my friends were playing it.

Having gotten it I'd like to eat my words. The game is very well made and fun to play provided you're in a group that can at least stand up to the opposing force. The action is fairly quick so if there's a significant disparity you can get steamrolled hard. The first time I tried playing PVP I was kicked around so badly I rage quit.

Last night though I got into a group with @Ferel and some of his friends and it turned out to be a lot of fun. We were slightly outmatched but as long as I stuck with simpler heroes it worked out pretty well.

4. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    yep i wuld suggesting playing with people you know or joining a gaming community/clan who play it

5. White Tiger

I can confirm that playing pick-up games is a roll of the dice -- both in terms of performance and general enjoyment. This is especially true during 'peak hours' like on the weekends, since you're more likely to be grouped up with unfriendly folks, then.

6. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 23, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 6, 2016 ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. White Tiger

For those of you who don't play or just haven't been following, Blizzard has finally graced us Overwatch players with the implementation of a Competitive Mode. Unfortunately, it seen as an abyssmal mess, by many.

Anyways, I'm happy Blizzard is developing this game more because, all the gripes aside, its a very fun team-based FPS. That said, competitive matchmaking is an absolute mess and I feel like Blizzard is encouraging grinding. Not a bad thing compared to the pay-to-win stuff you see a lot, but its still a little disappointing.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 29, 2016 ---
    I dislike double-posting in these threads, but I figured it was worth doing so with this big of an update.

Overwatch just hinted at a new hero coming to the game via Twitter.

--- Double Post Merged, Jul 19, 2016 ---
    I'll just go ahead and drop this here, then.

Also, a lot of fans were wrong about the Ana = Sombra theory. Apparently, according to the devs, Sombra is an entirely different person from Ana.

Scott Harvey likes this.
  8. Scott Harvey

Scott Harvey Local Game Enthusiast and Wannable 3D Animator

Personal Text:
    Never a dull moment
    Just gave Ana a try today, myself. She definitely has a high skill-ceiling, but In the right hands I bet she can be very useful to a team with all of her various supportive abilities, as well as her sleep-stun to leave tanks open to make pushes a little easier. Best use I've found for her so far is she's an excellent counter to bastion's who like to camp on choke points.

Also, my gamertag is ScottHarvey#11593. Feel free to add me.

9. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    remmeber she can be played mid range like McCree just as well.

10. Locke

Locke Tigresses! Soooo many tigresses!! <3

Home Page:
    I'm in, folks. Getting into practice on hapless bots for now, getting to know the characters, see who suits me. I'll be into the real thing soon.

scythemouse#1547

11. White Tiger

For those of you just getting into this or who are still active players, you're in luck. Blizzard just announced some new content coming for this summer.

12. ID

Home Page:
    So Blizzard sent a banwave out to catch botters and other forms of cheaters. Curran and I were laughing over the tears of the cheaters and Curran posted a screenshot of a cheater vowing revenge.

Well guess whos under DDOS attack tonight? WE THOUGHT THEY WERE JOKING.

13. NinjaPony

NinjaPony Katbox Forum Member

gotta love those skript kiddies being salty over dumb stuff.

14. White Tiger

I agree with ID that the salt and outrage coming from the cheating community over this is absolutely hilarious.

Here's an album of screenshots, in case anyone wants to see how upset people are.

15. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    that link is glorious. But man what is up with "do you have skype, how do i join anonymus?"

like... jeez...

16. ID

Home Page:
    yTfjckT.jpg

17. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 3, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 3, 2016 ---
    Made by Artgerm

18. White Tiger

19. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    new legendary emote for D.va on the ptr

you need to see this

http://imgur.com/gallery/lDcMG

The game she's playing is 3 vikings (very old Blizz game), the drink is Dr Boom (itself a OW reference to a wow char and HS card; as well as their worlds version of Dew) and the chips are a D.va branded version of Dorito's.

also new reinhardt skin. this was the armor of the king of the Crusader Knights, who Rein served

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2016 ---
    also the bastion short was quite sweet and brings across his identity and motivations. Though not quite the circumstances behind how he got involved in the ongoing problems in the present age. We'll see though

20. White Tiger

To add frosting on to the cake that is new content (new map included) coming in the next big update, this was just posted to the Blizzard forums.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748794686

The hype for Sombra is getting real.

It's worth noting that this isn't entirely new. The Sombra ARG, if you'd call it that, has been running since July. The Game Detectives Wiki has a whole page for it here.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 23, 2016 ---

The elusive Sombra is finally revealed.

21. NinjaPony

NinjaPony Katbox Forum Member

i dont know why but i thought sombra was gonna be a robot/cyborg of sorts from all the previous hints and secrets people uncovered...

22. Thelordoflemonz

Thelordoflemonz Katbox Forum Member

She is a cyborg. She has several robotic components all over her. So she is a cyborg in the technical sense, to the same degree as McCree and Symmetra.

23. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
  24. White Tiger

Blizzard posted a new comic, to ring in the holidays. Quite the cute piece.

http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/tracer-reflections

25. Phuufy

Phuufy Super Duper Drawer Person! Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Personal Text:
    Rainbows and Unicorns -- and Giant Super Crab Mechs!
    Or that Torbjorn has like a crapton of kids and is happily married. Again, confirmed by Blizzard.