1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Blizzard's Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by White Tiger, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ID

ID The Katboss Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    This is such a banal issue. But it's indicative of how hot the online culture war is.

In this case I'm not on either side. I think this is a non-issue to get upset over either way. I like sexy stuff so butts are my bag, but a single pose in a game I dont plan on playing anyway isn't a hill to fight on. I do agree though that it seems like Blizzard had already made up their minds about the issue and had taken the originals user's post as a sort of public justification to maybe score some PR points. Most devs probably don't pay much attention to the online culture war and likely had no idea that this would become a fight.

Kuurion likes this.
  2. Pontius

Pontius Katbox Forum Member

I'd have to nominate the sheer meltdown over BG:SoD and a background NPC / solitary line of dialogue as a better indicator, but yes looking at this and several of the reactions it's pretty hard to deny that the embers are still glowing hot and it's a… shall we say, touchy subject to bring up without certain rules in place to preemptively cut off the worst directions the discussions could go.

Yes and no, sort-of. Yes, they probably had little to no idea that this would become a fight (let alone one so vitriolic). No, they probably do pay attention to the state of the online gaming communities and the various currents that flow through it. Marketing costs a lot of money, and the money only goes up as you add more A's to the game's classification (gods help you if you look at a AAA advertising budget). Contrastingly, it takes practically nothing beyond a (relative) handful of irate persons (see: This and aforementioned SoD examples) to outright drown a project in negative press.

3. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    I like how the Baldurs gate people handled it though, "this sort of behaviour will not incite the desired results" and they decided to give the character a more prominent role.

4. Regulos

Regulos Forum Lurker

Personal Text:
    My worst fear is probably being a giraffe with a sore throat.
    I have an extra code for the OverWatch May 3rd beta session if anyone wants it. First come, first serve.

5. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    Same here, though i've posted elsewhere, so we'll see. If a close friend offers i might consider giving it to them instead
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 30, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 30, 2016 ---
    Eu though, dont know if these have region locks

6. Jasae Bushae

Jasae Bushae Silly lovestruck nutter

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Plushies are fun~! ^.^
    I find Symmetra and Mei to be really fun

7. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

I finally got the chance to try the open beta and found it was pretty fun! The game really did feel like a hybrid of TF2 and, say, League of Legends.

In terms of the classes/characters, I love the diversity they have. The ones I usually play most are Mercy, Bastion, and Reinhart. I actually enjoy playing a medic-esque class since it keeps me busy/active without focusing on damage output. If I do play a damage-oriented class, I like the intense minigun action of Bastion or the beefy, but hard-hitting, style of Reinhart.

8. Zoie Falcona

Zoie Falcona Wild Kingdoms Dungeon Mistress

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Support ALS research
    Waiting on the dl to finish!

9. Kuurion

Kuurion IE Kuuribro IE Kuubeans ID Kuubutts Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    so far this game has had 3 seperate instances of making me kinda interested and liking a character I previously did not. Tracer, Widowmaker, and Zenyatta were all hard to grasp at first but a random match or two, and some curious experimenting, and now I can really get the sense of what they're about and it's FUN to experiment in that way!

10. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Hobbyist

Personal Text:
    Ahhhhh Art, How we can escape life to thee
    Game is looking good but I will likely get bored real easy with the game.

11. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    need friends for the game. solo-ing OW tires one quick

12. Thelordoflemonz

Thelordoflemonz Katbox Forum Member

I've been playing the Beta and I gotta say, I've been enjoying it so far.

13. Kuurion

Home Page:
    I'm now also a Roadhog convert. His hook is nuts.

14. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    I…kind of missed the open beta due to Xbox One needing the Gold Membership in conjunction with Mother’s Day, but I have been watching quite a bit of game play and would highly recommend getting the game. It looks AWESOME!!!

15. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    play of the game right here

Avencri likes this.
  16. Regulos

Regulos Forum Lurker

Personal Text:
    My worst fear is probably being a giraffe with a sore throat.
    Now that the beta is closed, I miss it. Just gonna have to wait until release on the 24th. :(

17. Jasae Bushae

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Plushies are fun~! ^.^

Whole teams just playing one character XD

18. Thelordoflemonz

Thelordoflemonz Katbox Forum Member

Now you're thinking with Portals.

Jasae Bushae likes this.
  19. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    Overwatch is releasing early btw, 23rd may, 4 pm PDT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Xain Russell

Xain Russell New Member

I would love to play this game, but unfortunately I don't have a PC capable of playing it, and the PS4 version isn't cross compatible with PC, so I wouldn't have friends to play with.

So far though, my favourite character has been Winston, who I honestly haven't seen a lot of people talking about. He's a big, super smart gorilla with a goofy side. Plus, he's the guy who reassembles Overwatch. What's not to love about him?

21. Jasae Bushae

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Plushies are fun~! ^.^

--- Double Post Merged, May 23, 2016, Original Post Date: May 22, 2016 ---

22. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

I ended up caving in and getting Overwatch for myself, after having fun with it during the open beta period. After spending some more time with it and trying classes that I normally don't play, I've started to enjoy it. It really does combine the best aspects of a team-based FPS and a MOBA.

The toughest parts, so far, have been getting teams to stay balanced (people tend to go with the classes they'd want and aren't willing to play, say, support roles) and just finding servers that can fill up and run scenarios. However, the game's fairly balanced with the exception of a few classes (*coughBastioncough*) and it handles pretty smoothly.

23. Kuurion

Home Page:
    Bastion seems tough, but he's not all that bad if you can organize a quick counter to him. He's got a giant glowing weak spot on his rear, and he needs to stay immobile to do the most damage. I've actually heard people at the top tier levels of play calling him useless.

Anyways, peeps should add me to their battle.net so we can play together. :D Battletag is Kuurion#1456

24. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    Bastion is easily countered by snipers, genji and also Junkrat if he gets odd angles or curved shots. If you can get into range, roadhog can hook him and rein can slam him (just make sure he isnt firing at you already from afar). Keep in mind heroes like tracer and genji can sneak behind him and hit his "blue box" which is headshot levels of damage.

He's a noob grinder. Great at low levels amongst the inexperienced who throw themselves into his gunfire, but very niche at higher levels where he needs his entire team to keep him safe.

At top tier he's practically a hinderance to have given the crazy shit people pull off.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 24, 2016, Original Post Date: May 24, 2016 ---
    http://i.imgur.com/2tfDLPL.webm

Mei's leggings.

<w<

>w>

25. Locke

Locke Tigresses! Soooo many tigresses!! <3

Home Page:
    Dat backstory.

Somebody's been making character cheat sheets. Just a few, but they'll likely do more.