1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Leon, Simon, and Meijer are back! False Start returns as the first comic of the upcoming Katbox After Dark! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Uber Quest is printing volume II. Help support the kickstarter and get some heckin' swag here!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

Blizzard's Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by White Tiger, Nov 7, 2014.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

So, Blizzcon has officially begun and the company's already making waves with news of the new expansion for SC2 as well as development for their upcoming MOBA, Heroes of the Storm.

Then, there was Overwatch.

The cinematic trailer, posted above, is like some awesome hybrid of Valve's Team Fortress 2 and Disney's The Incredibles. Charming, and, yet, downright amazing. It's gameplay trailer is just as amazing, too.

While I doubt I'll get too deeply into the game (team-based FPS games aren't my cup of tea), I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

Also, Tracer is downright adorable. Dat accent, too.

2. ScorpDK

ScorpDK The Thread Ender

Personal Text:
    Welp
    While at the start I was a bit like "hmmm...I don't know..." as soon as the hero guys showed up, I was like "okay, this looks interesting", and at the end I was just grinning at my screen like a dofus.
    Gotta hand it to Blizzard, they know how to make good trailers and cinematics that ooze with style and charisma.

3. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    i watched the gameplay tailor as well.

the game video has simplified the deaths to one shots for the purpose of showcasing the video. Which is what TF2 and other shooters do for showcase videos.

if you check the info from blizz, the actual gameplay will involve hard to kill players that can take a beating and live long enough. They want to completely avoid the "twitch killing, crosshair-tunnel-vision, target-to-target, constant respawn"-fests that most FPS games are turning into (which games like Hawken fell prey to, turning long lasting hard to kill mech combat to twitchy spawn/death fests in one patch).

This is because gameplay and the maps will be objective based. there is no deathmatch at this point (but we'll see if that changes since its so early in development, but more than likely, they'll just expand on the different objective based maps).

Class setup is...well its not a "class setup". It's role based, like the MOBA setup has or "fps" games like Hawken.

You have offensive, defensive, tank and support roles. With each of the heroes belong to one of these roles will fulfil it in a variety of ways. There are scout offense, heavy offense, harassers, etc. Supporters will be a variety of healers and utility heroes, etc. Tanks will have group-defenders, sponges, point-defenders, and pushers, etc. Defenders will establish battle fronts to hold enemies back, put down cover fire for forward attackers, counter harassers and pushers, protect objective points, create ambushes and no-mans zones for enemy teams trying to push forward. You can switch between heroes when you die.

Stuff like that. More are planned than the current 12 heroes for each of the 4 roles

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. Aeri

Aeri Resident Resident spirit expert Gallery Volunteer

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Cat boobs ain't a spreadsheet
    Actually looks good, For some reason it manages to remind me of TF2 right down to the medigun at 2:15 in the second video :p (Aside from the guy who looks like death gun :l), Sym' reminds me of Tiare.

But the thing that really caught my notice was that for a long time ago I've had a vague idea spookily like this: (Team of "Good" enforcers under the name of "Overwatch", Partially brought about by HL2's overwatch combine)

5. Curran

Curran ʢ•·̫•ʡฅ Staff Member Administrator

It is kinda like Pixar and TF2 had a baby, which I am okay with. I'm keeping my eye on this.

6. ID

ID The Katboss Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    The trailer is sexy and all but eeeeuuuugggghhh... I wont be getting this on launch. Might not get it ever.

7. Kuurion

Kuurion IE Kuuribro IE Kuubeans ID Kuubutts Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    If it's F2P, which I have reason to believe it will be, I will DEFINITELY be playing this. I LOVE class-based shooters with friends.

8. Aeri

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    So do I... Now all I need is friends :<

9. Falc

Falc Bat Friends Gallery Volunteer

Personal Text:
    Resident Nihilist
    I forgot everything I was gonna say because I found this gif.

[​IMG]

I might try this out though I'll need a new computer to do so.

10. Ironfoot

Ironfoot Prime Minister of Fun!

Home Page:
    Is it possible to set a gif like that as my wallpaper?

Also, while I'm not sure if play this game, I'd watch the heck out of an over watch TV show.

11. Kuurion

Kuurion IE Kuuribro IE Kuubeans ID Kuubutts Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    Really this is just another example of how much better I have to get at my craft if I ever want to work at Blizzard - and holy hell yes I do because everything they make looks amazing in every way.

12. Aeri

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    I wonder how graphics intensive this will be honestly....

13. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    should really be that graphics intense. blizzard makes sure their stuff is stylizhed but not card intensive. just by looking at it you can tell its not that heavy at all.

14. Falc

Falc Bat Friends Gallery Volunteer

Personal Text:
    Resident Nihilist
    Yeah, it's probably not as intensive as it looks.

I also discovered that not only is my Blizzard account is locked and that I no longer have my authenticator, I don't remember the answer to my secret question so I can't get any of the previous issues fixed. So, for the time being (that is until I file a support ticket) I don't even get to try this during the open beta.

Funfacts (pulled from the official site):

Reinhardt is one of the founding members of Overwatch and is the oldest playable character at 61.
    There are four roles and assume three classes/characters per role. Roles are Combat, Defense, Tank, and Support.
    There are lots of alternate movement methods as class skills. Tracer's blink and recall abilities, Widowmaker's grappling hook, Mercy's glide, Pharah's rocket pack, Winston's rocket boosted jump, Reaper's teleport and wraith form.

15. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    New characters released for overwatch

[​IMG]

Thus we have our wild west character. We've seen images of him before and now get to see his abilities and playstyle.

high powered pistol, with an auto-fire secondary (fanning the hammer of his revolver). Stun grenades and a vaulting dodge menuever for defense. A pretty obvious mid-range damage dealer.

has a pretty powerful special ability, if used carefully. people can get away or iam guessing kill him quickly before he can draw.

Between him and the reaper, things will be interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zarya will be a tank type hero.

Sustained beam weapon with mid range reach, fires grenades for aoe (longer range). A shield that she use on herself OR share with others!

and ofcourse her graviton grenade which pulls people together into its and floats them about for the kill.

And I seriously like her aesthetics and character design.

lookit
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. ScorpDK

ScorpDK The Thread Ender

Personal Text:
    Welp
    the more they reveal, the more I'm wanting to play this :3

17. Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher Gallery Volunteer

After reading all the characters stories and skills, I honestly hope they might do more to this game than just the TF2 style battles. Would freaking love for them to make some kind of story mode with each character.

18. JigenTheGunMan

JigenTheGunMan Katbox Forum Member

I can see they are trying with the feminist/gaming crowd. But the problem with that sorta crowd is that you can't be too generic with your female characters. And to be honest, it looks mostly like a generic character when it comes to SOME of the characters. But I have little faith like all games to be honest.

19. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    they're not really going for that direction with this char. She was supposed to be just what they made her to be. they're just going for a variety of characters from each and every region and have them as varied as possible from each other. the characters meet certain cliche's but in a manner that I'd say its pretty well executed in terms of it's characters "fit".

I like her because she chose this life. Her backstory isnt some tragedy. She was an aspiring body builder who dropped her career to join Overwatch out of a sense of duty. She's a hero because she chose to be.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Kuurion likes this.
  20. JigenTheGunMan

I wouldn't go as far as hero when it comes to join an army of course but I would as well do that if I was in that kinda shape.

21. Tenjen

Tenjen Lynx Ram

Personal Text:
    half-bah maow's*
    She joined the Overwatch, who are heroes : p

Zarya's face and hair is based on a blizz employee, Tamara Bakhlycheva

[​IMG]

22. JigenTheGunMan

>implying that everything that Overwatch does is heroic.

Again. I wouldn't state that due to the fact that evil and doing hero things are two sides of the philosophical coin. For what we know, the Overwatch army could be doing "good" things but in light is actually effecting the whole universe that they consist of. I wouldn't call anyone a hero until they recognize that their actions = a reaction. Sometimes good leading to bad and maybe sometimes bad leading to good.

>this character is based on that employee.

Ooooookay? Why is that even consistently important?

23. Nixie

Nixie Seal of Approval Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Ort ort ort
    It's just an interesting thing to note. Relax, Mr. Cynic.

Looks like Tamara's cute too. ^_^ I do like Zarya's design.

Chaos Sepher likes this.
  24. White Tiger

White Tiger Swiggity swooty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Global Moderator

I'm in agreement with Nixie and others. I think they just went with the personalities, genders, and whatnot because they thought it suited the story they were trying to tell.

I don't see this as some kind of pandering or homage to the feminist crowd and I think to assume such is simply confirmation bias. That said, please keep it calm and civil in this thread.

EDIT: As far as the new character goes, I was surprised to see she was based off of a Blizzard employee because, when I saw her, I totally imagined female weightlifter Samantha Wright.

[​IMG]

25. Nixie

Nixie Seal of Approval Staff Member Katbox Comic Artist

Home Page:
    Personal Text:
    Ort ort ort
    I thought of her too. It's really the only real life example I know of in which somebody so darned cute has so much raw power.