Discussion Avencri's FAQ

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
Apr 23, 2008
Are there any real-world inspirations for the different areas? Like the Firesands, for example... seems to me being VERY similar to the Middle East. Any correlation? Also, how long has Queen Jane been in her royal status?

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
We have seen Mayte with the tail (sexy) and legs (meh) and she seems to be able to switch at free will. What was she born with though?
And, Does :gleeMarianne: want the :gleeRon: ?

Real world inspirations for Different Areas

Actually, most of the countries are inspired by real places or cultures.

Fanfolia is a mix of anglo countries. The country is a monarchy. The south of it is based on the USA, with tons of urban cities and advanced technology. The center is based on the UK, with more classy architecture and a good mix of building and trees. The very north is based on rural Canada, with tons of beautiful landscape and tundra.

Firesands (Ramel Narif) is based on the middle east and muslim culture. Very based around religion and ruled by a religious man. It is a very dry zone with a main river that crosses the whole of it and several bid deserts.

Fontalia is another urban country, this one based on several countries of Europe. Mostly France and Italy. They have very classical architecture and restaurants. They are also in a monarchy that is in direct rivalry with Fanfolia's.

Playaback. It is an expy for Mexico more than anything, but it also has bits of Spain and Brazil thrown here and there. It has beaches, jungles and deserts and the main economy is based on tourism. They are ruled by an elected president and has been under strain by a separatist group for years.

Contamanea. The most technologically advanced country and it is based on Germany. Giant factories and machinery make the whole of the landscape and there is no nature so to speak left around. The people like to improve their bodies with cybernetic enhacements and they are ruled by a militar leader.

Those are the countries involved so far in TEOR, but there are more, making a total of 14 countries in Crisald. I can mention India, China, Japan, Greece, generic Africa and Russia between the others.

Queen Jane's Royal Status

Jane has been royalty all her life. Spending most of the story before TEOR as a wildly popular and charismatic rebelious princess. But she had to take the throne when her father (King Xerno) was literally crushed by his own castle in a deivon attack during an attempt to kill a particularly nasty female deivon known as Catrina. Jane had to take the crown and accept her duties for good and she lead the final assault against the deivon pope Raffan, Catrina the chaos lady and The Son of the Void himself. Since that day she has ruled Fanfolia. During the first pages of The Eye, it is mentioned that the 50th anniversary of her ascending to the throne is due to some months. So... if she was a young adult when she took the throne and it has been 50 years since. There MUST be a reason of why she still looks young.

Mayte's number of limbs

Ok, first of all. All Crisaldian dragons have 6 limbs. Be it legs, arms and wings. Or legs and two sets of arms. The Maa tribe (Mayte's breed) have a set of arms, a set of legs and a set of flippers by the tail. In an unique trait of her species, the maa tribe can shape shift their lower body into a serpentine body to make them better swimmers. In this form they change their legs into a second pair of flippers. Now, this form is great for swimming, but clumsy for out of water situations. For more casual situations, they use the legs. For Mayte's definitive form, her serpentine lower body is her true form. All of the maa tribesmen are born like this and they learn to shapeshift at puberty, so they are stuck like snakies during childhood.

Now as an ability learned by mages. All dragon mages can turn into a bestial form of themselves. In this case, Mayte's limbs turns into 3 pairs of flippers. Maitaining the rule of the 6 limbs.

Marianne's attraction of Ronald

SPOILERS
She does. Marianne has had tons of boyfriends of her age... mostly sportsmen and fratboys and she grew fed up of them. When she met Ron she found a viable male that is both intelligent and mature. So she does try to get his attention if possible. Ron is just too insecure and believes that no girl like her would be interested in him. He blinds himself in negation.
END OF SPOILERS

Lamington

Jun 12, 2008
If you don't mind me asking (it might be spoiler-y?) why did :Gretta|confuzzled: stay behind?
Since I'm already testing spoiler territory; who's Hernan? :XDLamington: :heartGretta:

Velia's third eye

Insects never blink! XD

The pair of normal eyes on her do blink because of the way i antropoformized her. Real life wasps have a pair of complex eyes and a trio of simple eyes between them. So instead of giving her 3 unbliking eyes on her forehead i gave her a single one. I did try to disguise it as some sort of gem on her forehead and i thought people would take longer to realize it was another eye. I guess i was wrong on this! XD

Gretta staying behind

She may work with Pierre who is an asshole and Velia who is really cold. They may be playing the current role of villains. But they are not evil. Gretta in particular is actually friendly if you don't get on her bad side. They already got what they wanted, so why not giving a hand to the loosing team? Plus, she would have been in pretty bad shape if she hadn't had help. Basically, she felt sorry for them and wants to repay the favor. Also... she ain't in really good mood with Pierre at the moment.

Who is Hernan

Hernan is the man who won Gretta's heart. He is a chef and is currently waiting for his wife to come back home and try for a family again. He doesn't mind her adventures, but he does worry about her. Gretta IS stronger than him and that is part of her charm, even if he (as a bull) is a lot larger than her. You can guess that he got to her hearth by her stomach and selection of beverages.

Hernan will make a brief appearance in the future. But he is not important to the plot in any way. He is more of "flavor" is you wish to have it this way.

The thing on Ron's apartment

Spoiler
It is actually the bodyless head of a deivon that Catlen (the main character of the previous story and Jane's parter in adventures) beheaded 50 years ago during the deivon war. It ain't anything special, just a mook. But none the less it survived the war and is still hanging around, being afraid of being discovered and also being afraid of "The old one".

It is serving a purpose that has not been reveled yet and apparently it is growing by causing Alex nightmares and visions of the ruins of Segen. At the end of page 107 you can see it has gotten 3 new eyes, so you can say whatever is happening to it is not good.

So... what is it? It is a deivon. Is it a walking, talking tumor? Not quite, but it DOES look like one. It's name? It is called Teratoma. What is a Teratoma? Go search for it on Google or Wikipedia if you have a strong stomach.
End of Spoilers

Ramza Ydoc

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
California
Personal Text
Mostly machine
Mayte's number of limbs

Ok, first of all. All Crisaldian dragons have 6 limbs. Be it legs, arms and wings. Or legs and two sets of arms. The Maa tribe (Mayte's breed) have a set of arms, a set of legs and a set of flippers by the tail. In an unique trait of her species, the maa tribe can shape shift their lower body into a serpentine body to make them better swimmers. In this form they change their legs into a second pair of flippers. Now, this form is great for swimming, but clumsy for out of water situations. For more casual situations, they use the legs. For Mayte's definitive form, her serpentine lower body is her true form. All of the maa tribesmen are born like this and they learn to shapeshift at puberty, so they are stuck like snakies during childhood.

Now as an ability learned by mages. All dragon mages can turn into a bestial form of themselves. In this case, Mayte's limbs turns into 3 pairs of flippers. Maitaining the rule of the 6 limbs.

Marianne's attraction of Ronald

SPOILERS
She does. Marianne has had tons of boyfriends of her age... mostly sportsmen and fratboys and she grew fed up of them. When she met Ron she found a viable male that is both intelligent and mature. So she does try to get his attention if possible. Ron is just too insecure and believes that no girl like her would be interested in him. He blinds himself in negation.
END OF SPOILERS
Danke, mien fuhrur! That 6 limb rule sounds like it limits potential forms. And thanks for clearing that Marianne thing for me!

Velia's third eye
uhn, never knew. I always thought it was a gem. I wonder if that messes up her aim any?

Velia's Third Eye Part 2

The third eye doesn't mess her aim. It actually helps since her peripherial view is increased.

Character's Lastnames

Wow... you just made me realize i never thought of THAT!!! :shadeMayte:

I shall update their profiles when i think of a fitting latino and german lastnames for them. :dropMayte:

Viviparous or Oviparous?

All of them are born from eggs. As far as reproduction of species. Multiple children at a time is not the case. The character's reproduction cycle mimics that of the humans in most cases. Ben, Pierre and Velia were born from a single egg laid by a single pregnancy on a cycle of 28 days. There are some odd cases that have no logic but they are fun to think about.

This is the case of my twin summoners Bari and Cela. They ARE twins born from a single egg... yet one if male and the other female which makes on sense in the real life reproduction of crocodiles, whose gender is bases on the heat at the moment the egg develops. But in the end, this is all fantasy! :happyMayte:

In the case of Mayte, since she is a dragon, she is also born from a single egg laid at the time. BUT... dragons can only reproduce for a single cycle each year. That is why when the rivers of Firesands got poisoned and a lot of people died was a really big deal with the population.

Velia's Third Eye Part 3

She has no eyelids on it so she always sleeps with one eye open! :confuzzledMayte:

Dragon Crossbreeding

Hi!!! Mayte can in fact crossbreed with any of the other dragon tribes.

• Fire Dragon Clan
  • Earth Dragon Clan (The guard that gave a Cavity search to Agrio is one.)
  • Water Dragon Clan (Mayte's breed)
  • Wind Dragon Clan
  • Ice Dragon Clan
  • Thunder Dragon Clan
  • Magma Dragon Clan
  • Poison Dragon Clan (Both Avencri and Vencrina are these.)
  • Gem Dragon Clan
  • Shadow Dragon Clan (Zaira is of this particula tribe)
  • Light Dragon Clan
  • Mind Dragon Clan
  • Blood Dragon Clan
  • Spectral Dragon Clan

As for other species she can crossbreed with. There are some here and there. But the easiest would be the reptile family tree. But you have to keep in mind that she can't actually reproduce with any reptile. But with several she can, Pierre and Bari (my crocodile character) are quite viable candidates.

As for mammals... i really doubt so. But there might be one or other surprise in there that could make no sense.

As for hybrids, there IS one rule i follow. The hybrid children will have more in common with the mother than with the father.

Dragon Crossbreeding

Hi!!! Mayte can in fact crossbreed with any of the other dragon tribes.

• Fire Dragon Clan
  • Earth Dragon Clan (The guard that gave a Cavity search to Agrio is one.)
  • Water Dragon Clan (Mayte's breed)
  • Wind Dragon Clan
  • Ice Dragon Clan
  • Thunder Dragon Clan
  • Magma Dragon Clan
  • Poison Dragon Clan (Both Avencri and Vencrina are these.)
  • Gem Dragon Clan
  • Shadow Dragon Clan (Zaira is of this particular tribe)
  • Light Dragon Clan
  • Mind Dragon Clan
  • Blood Dragon Clan
  • Spectral Dragon Clan

As for other species she can crossbreed with. There are some here and there. But the easiest would be the reptile family tree. But you have to keep in mind that she can't actually reproduce with any reptile. But with several she can, Pierre and Bari (my crocodile character) are quite viable candidates.

As for mammals... i really doubt so. But there might be one or other surprise in there that could make no sense.

As for hybrids, there IS one rule i follow. The hybrid children will have more in common with the mother than with the father.
Definitely a lot more logical that the Dungeons and Dragons explanation of dragons being able to breed with virtually any species.

I never understood that rule either.

Jack McSlay

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 15, 2007
Itajubá MG - Brasil
binarte.com
what about molting? does anyone do that? and if they do, do they eat the shed skin afterwards?

Are there fully aquatic people? Like fishes, squids?

Is everyone warm-blooded or do the reptiles, insects have cold blood?

You recently mentioned of all dragons having 6 limbs, but it seems poison dragons have only 4.

Molting

It does occur once a year. And no... nobody eats their own skin. They are not animals, you could say they are "meta-humans". Do you eat your own skin bits? I doubt so. :shadeMayte:

Aquatic Species

Yeah! There are plenty of them! BUT... none of them have legs and they all got gills and not lungs. They HAVE managed to make a living in the world by various means. Here are some characters that can serve as an example of this kind of characters.

Rally the Stingray

Arpa the half shark (she is the weirdest hybrid i got)

Warm Blood

Everyone has it or i would have to get into many technical details about why there are only mammals in certain zones or Pierre actually dying inside the ruins of Segen and such. But... reptiles DO have reduced tolerance to cold weather.

Poison Dragons Having Only 4 Limbs

They can in fact sprout a set of temporary wings. Growing them hurts like hell and they fall off after a week. Disposable wings if you say. Nowadays it is not really worth it if you can take an airplane or a cab. But in life or death situations it is a nice escape card.

[quote author=Jack McSlay link=topic=4684.msg124712#msg124712 date=1260208080]
I'd call her anything but weird :heartJeso:

[/quote]

She is half shark and half dove. She has lungs. And those wings ain't wings at all... they are wing like gills very similar to those of an axoltl. So she has both lungs and gills.

Also, she is unique! XD

THAT is why Arpa is weird.

Haha, that comic was hilarious!

Beelzebub

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 21, 2007
New Jersey
I thought it was Half shark half jellyfish...but the dove thing is weird as well...considering one can't breathe underwater and another can't breathe in the air...

Sep 21, 2009
www.furaffinity.net

What is Greeta thinking?

I'm reading to get caught up, and had no idea what was in the thought bubble. Even though I've had some Spanish. :dropR:
Even though I'm not quite caught up yet, Avencri, I love the story so far. :gleeMayte: