Anthony Bourdain, TV Host and Writer, Has Died

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Anthony Bourdain, former executive chef of Les Halles, author of Kitchen Confidential, and host of Travel Channel's No Reservations, has passed away. This has been confirmed by CNN and their staff, who were working with him on his latest show.

For decades, he worked 13-hour days as a line cook in restaurants in New York and the Northeast before he became executive chef in the 1990s at Brasserie Les Halles, serving steak frites and onion soup in Lower Manhattan. He had been the chef there for eight years when he sent an unsolicited article to The New Yorker about underbelly of the restaurant world and its deceptions.

To his surprise, the magazine accepted it and ran it — catching the attention of book editors. It resulted in “Kitchen Confidential,” a memoir that elevated Mr. Bourdain to a celebrity chef and a new career on TV. Before he joined CNN in 2012, he spent eight seasons as the globe-trotting host of “No Reservations” on the Travel Channel, highlighting obscure cuisine and unknown restaurants.
Source: NY Times

For a while now, Tony was a big, big staple in all things cooking and travel. I used to frequently watch his Travel Channel show, as he'd visit places I've only dreamed of and explored the local cuisine. I read another one of his books, Medium Raw, when I was in college, and I have admired his work on the other books he has done, too.

I can't say he was the most skilled chef, though he was an executive chef for a time, nor can I say he was as ground-breaking as others. That said, his knowledge and passion for cooking is admirable, and his willingness to travel to distant places -- some of them dangerous -- to share their culture, history, and -- of course -- their cuisine was inspiring.

Last edited: