Discussion A thought about adventurers and the undead

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Hey guys, I was reading through a thread over on the DMFA forum over at the Clockwork Mansion when I read this comment by Jasonrevall:

"The same thing we do in real life. Try them as an adult. If a police officer draws their gun to stop a murderer covered in blood and tells someone to freeze you don't get the right to shoot them just because you said so. Everyone keeps coming to Regina's defense by saying that she had every right to leave. Noone is discounting that anyone in any situation has a right to leave if they are uncomfortable at any time that should be a given. This does not give Regina the right to draw blood, nor the right to kill, nor the right to mass murder. Just like the teenagers that shoot up schools and throw rocks onto highways, Regina deserves at the very least prison.

It's also very possible that Regina, in her adrenaline fueled rage, ignored or didn't notice they were asking her to halt and explain herself. This is Regina. As she's said before she's the one that lived so we only got her side because the other side is in a grave somewhere."

That is of course a reference to the adventurers she killed after fleeing from Wildy's mom's home. After I read that last part I thought: "or now living somewhere as undead, probably on that island of theirs." Moments later came the follow up thought which is what I wanted to present here. What if an Adventuring Guild were to team up with the undead to help bring back their fallen members? Now obviously not every adventurer would go for this. There's of course the anticreature bias many adventurers have for starters and many adventurers probably view the undead as just another variation of creature even though many were former beings. Then there's the gross out factor which we've even seen Mab express in comic and I don't doubt many would have a similar reaction. I was thinking this would be an option for the more serious situations: as a means for more senior/highly skilled adventurers to come back if things go bad for them on an important mission and either finish it or at least be able to report back to their guild so that the next team of adventurers can be better informed and prepared for whatever it was that took down their comrade(s). Would definitely require either having undead working with a group of adventurers or maybe having teams of undead on standby ready to quickly move in once the coast is clear and salvage what they can of the fallen adventurer(s).

Well, thoughts anyone? Do you think it's possible this could happen? Would the undead be willing to go along with this? I could definitely see this placing the undead in the crosshairs of some creatures if this became known about so the adventuring guild that did go through with such an agreement would likely want to keep this as secret as possible. Still it could be a way for the undead to quietly, slowly increase their numbers with those who were in life quite skilled at their jobs, something they might want to consider after Kria's visit to their island.

Keybounce

Katbox Forum Member
Aug 16, 2016
I was under the impression that the undead do not actually have any connection to their old life anymore. Did I misunderstand that?

I do remember the little mini arc where people were wondering if anyone could tell Devon about his life when he was alive.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Based on the rules we are aware of, that's not especially feasible. Strictly speaking it wouldn't be impossible to bring back a dead loved one, but it's a remote possibility to say the least. In a very broad sense, we know that Undead have existed for centuries, but Undead as a race have only existed for around 40 years. Before that they were just will-less animate corpses that were more trouble than they were worth. And for whatever reason, there's some variance when it comes to...let's call it "Undead identity". Put simply, sometimes the new undead came back as they were in life, in other cases...well, those cases are like Devin, a blank slate.

With all that being said, the actual mechanics of deliberately adding to the undead race do not seem particularly well suited to this purpose. Aliph is responsible for the creation of the race, and by all accounts he's not eager to share the knowledge of how he did it or do a repeat performance of what he considers to be among his greatest failures. And as for the undead themselves, the only method we're familiar with is for them to scratch/bite a living being/creature shortly before that being/creature's demise (within 24 hours according to Demo 101, within a week according to Hybrid Genetics).

In short, I don't think that the practice you're suggesting is actually plausible at this time in Furrae.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Based on the rules we are aware of, that's not especially feasible. Strictly speaking it wouldn't be impossible to bring back a dead loved one, but it's a remote possibility to say the least. In a very broad sense, we know that Undead have existed for centuries, but Undead as a race have only existed for around 40 years. Before that they were just will-less animate corpses that were more trouble than they were worth. And for whatever reason, there's some variance when it comes to...let's call it "Undead identity". Put simply, sometimes the new undead came back as they were in life, in other cases...well, those cases are like Devin, a blank slate.

With all that being said, the actual mechanics of deliberately adding to the undead race do not seem particularly well suited to this purpose. Aliph is responsible for the creation of the race, and by all accounts he's not eager to share the knowledge of how he did it or do a repeat performance of what he considers to be among his greatest failures. And as for the undead themselves, the only method we're familiar with is for them to scratch/bite a living being/creature shortly before that being/creature's demise (within 24 hours according to Demo 101, within a week according to Hybrid Genetics).

In short, I don't think that the practice you're suggesting is actually plausible at this time in Furrae.
Yes it's definitely a long shot, but extreme situations are what long shots are for right? And it may not be as unreliable as you're suggesting. In #1558 we do see Devin explain that the majority of the undead created by the big event came back pretty much as they were in life, memories included. Devin seems to be a rare exception, possibly due to being an early model though we're not sure of that. Devin himself is unsure because Kria seems to be a rare exception herself in that she was willing to put in the work to make Devin functional again whereas the owners of other undead who may have turned out like Devin, well it seems like they were far more likely to just dispose of those undead instead. Anyways, if those who came back as undead after that big event do for the most part come back as who they were in life, just deader according to Devin, then this may actually be a viable option for those adventurers willing to go through with it. Perhaps a long shot option because coming back as an undead after a dangerous mission could mean coming back to a body that's been horribly mutilated and there is also a chance they might not come back at all because it's been stated before in a "Questions From the Readers" that total soul distruction is a thing in DMFA. That would likely prevent anything coming back at all.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Yes it's definitely a long shot, but extreme situations are what long shots are for right? And it may not be as unreliable as you're suggesting. In #1558 we do see Devin explain that the majority of the undead created by the big event came back pretty much as they were in life, memories included. Devin seems to be a rare exception, possibly due to being an early model though we're not sure of that. Devin himself is unsure because Kria seems to be a rare exception herself in that she was willing to put in the work to make Devin functional again whereas the owners of other undead who may have turned out like Devin, well it seems like they were far more likely to just dispose of those undead instead. Anyways, if those who came back as undead after that big event do for the most part come back as who they were in life, just deader according to Devin, then this may actually be a viable option for those adventurers willing to go through with it. Perhaps a long shot option because coming back as an undead after a dangerous mission could mean coming back to a body that's been horribly mutilated and there is also a chance they might not come back at all because it's been stated before in a "Questions From the Readers" that total soul distruction is a thing in DMFA. That would likely prevent anything coming back at all.
I refer you to the second paragraph and the mechanical issues of the idea. The only case I'm aware of where undead were created post-mortem was when Aliph's plan went haywire, and by all indications he's neither eager to repeat the mistake nor to enable others to do so. And the method we know of that enables Undead to create more Undead involves infecting the living shortly before their death. That rather precludes bringing back those who have already fallen, and the mechanics of using undead as an "insurance policy" to keep the current roster active seems impractical in practice.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
I refer you to the second paragraph and the mechanical issues of the idea. The only case I'm aware of where undead were created post-mortem was when Aliph's plan went haywire, and by all indications he's neither eager to repeat the mistake nor to enable others to do so. And the method we know of that enables Undead to create more Undead involves infecting the living shortly before their death. That rather precludes bringing back those who have already fallen, and the mechanics of using undead as an "insurance policy" to keep the current roster active seems impractical in practice.
Yes, the method of infection does pretty much mean that for this to work that an undead would have to be partnered up with an adventurer(s) and be out accompanying them on the missions in order for this to have a chance at succeeding. Like I said it's a long shot and probably not one many would be willing to take.