A New Show in Town!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Hiorou

Nov 13, 2013
Thanks Belvarious, there will be one page daily until the comic catch up to the current state, I hope you enjoy and comment if you thinks something can be fixed or have an opinion .w.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Well, gotta give you props for giving the site introduction some pizazz.

And I know you mention whiplash in the change of style, but I'm a bit bothered by the featureless nature of the coins. If you pull out some change, you won't find a single piece that doesn't have a design stamped or etched on it to help differentiate it from other currency, and it's something we've donefor millennia. Reasons for this are numerous, but the most practical reasons would be making it harder to counterfeit new currency or shave off bits of metal to cheat others and repurpose the shavings for later use. Less practical is that it's often an expression of an authority's power, both in terms of what the authority chooses to immortalize and in the sense that it differentiates the coins from the materials used to make them.

Perhaps there's reason that the currency is blank here, but without knowing the reason it feels like a missed worldbuilding opportunity.

Hiorou

Nov 13, 2013
Well, gotta give you props for giving the site introduction some pizazz.

And I know you mention whiplash in the change of style, but I'm a bit bothered by the featureless nature of the coins. If you pull out some change, you won't find a single piece that doesn't have a design stamped or etched on it to help differentiate it from other currency, and it's something we've donefor millennia. Reasons for this are numerous, but the most practical reasons would be making it harder to counterfeit new currency or shave off bits of metal to cheat others and repurpose the shavings for later use. Less practical is that it's often an expression of an authority's power, both in terms of what the authority chooses to immortalize and in the sense that it differentiates the coins from the materials used to make them.

Perhaps there's reason that the currency is blank here, but without knowing the reason it feels like a missed worldbuilding opportunity.
You made me trip to old times concepts. Actually there is a simple reason why their money is so featureless: The town economy is highly communal with the redistribution of things, at most they reach a trade level, so they dont use the money within themselves. They are also extreme isolated to the outside world and are a very small town (around 1500 people). The coins are used only with outsider, and the donkey is the sole person they trade with, so for them is a waste of time to make features to something they themselves dont see as that valuable. An extra fact is that Lacertilias (the lizard people) dont have novility, much less royalty, and their historical figures tend to be remember though others means, like tattoos and poetry. My idea is to make them look like pretty primitive people, even was considering that their closest concept to money was salt, but I guess they would end using the salt themselves.

So long story short: money basically don't exist as a pretty well defined concept from them yet.