1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We're putting the spotlight on great community members! First person to be recognized for their effort: MrAMP!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice

A-Kon 2017 Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrAMP, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:04 PM.

1. MrAMP

MrAMP No. 1 Fun Guy Community Contributor

Personal Text:
    Too much TMI...Too much TMI!!!
    Salutations all you fantastically fine folks out there.

I must confess that I’m still running a little behind on all my other obligations as of late; however, I thought it best to knock this one out of the way before I forget yet again.

Last weekend (Thursday, June 8, 2017, through Sunday, June 11, 2017), the anime convention known as A-Kon was held at the Fort Worth Convention Center, a rather large one compared to the Hilton Anatole from the last year. Before you ask, I was only there from Friday, June 9, 2017, through 5:00 PM CST Saturday, June 10, 2017, as the experience from last year did not warrant the whole four days there.

I departed from my house at 6:30 AM Friday, June 9, 2017, and arrived at the destination around 9:30 AM. Morning traffic wasn’t so bad, but we did have to duck into Waffle House for a quick breakfast meal. For dinner both nights, I ate at the Spaghetti Warehouse with my dad, who tagged along to run some errands and act as a driver around Fort Worth.
    Meals-image.jpg

Once there at the convention center, I managed to quickly grab my badge and t-shirt and started to look around the convention center itself. Like I said before, it was rather large in regards to the main stage; however, the building didn’t have many rooms for panels. As a result, the convention was broken out between the convention center and two hotels, specifically the Milton for the gaming aspect of A-Kon and Sheridan for other miscellaneous panels.
    Convention-Image.jpg Outside-Image.jpg

Outside of the main show room floor, I decided to take a ton of pictures of all the cosplay there, and I must say that A-Kon did not disappoint in that department. In fact, I took over 3,000 photographs of all the various cosplayers there, ranging from large to small, men to women, women dressed as men to men dressed as women, and so much more. In fact, A-Kon had both official and unofficial gathers of all the various cosplay categories you could think of in any genre, ranging from DC to Marvel to Undertale to OverWatch. Speaking of OverWatch, that had to be the largest of all the cosplays out there, as seen in the images below. I also managed to tag quite a few Deadpools, furries, and maids…sexy sexy maids.
    Undertlae-image.jpg Overwatch-image.jpg images.jpg

The dealer’s room and artist alley were combined into one room this year. I must say that I was not disappointed this year. The dealer’s room portion had your typical t-shirt venders, wig stylists, accessory bling, and statues galore in addition to some special guests such as Matt Herms and other voice actors. I did spend quite a bit of cash at the Antartic Press booth for the new comics of Gold Digger and Blade Bunny plus some commissions from Fred Perry and Ben Dunn.

The dealer’s room and artist alley were combined into one room this year. Artist alley was a little bit disappointing. Granted there were new vendors there this year, the majority of the items were way into the guy on guy action or into the cutesy style of art. Additionally, some of the prints were $20 or three for $40. No offense, I don’t spend more than $10 per print. That’s my rule anyway. I will say that some of the artists were pretty boss in their style. And unlike MegaCon, there weren’t as many craft tables as in previous years.
    Dealers-Image.jpg

And before I forget, here’s the swag that I purchased. Again, the popular print was OverWatch, including the new one that @Mastergodai did for the convention of Sombra. I also found several new reference images to utilize for my commissions and found some new folks to back up on Patreon.
    Swag-Image.jpg