Comic #1755: Anonymous Tip.

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Well, that's an interesting development! Does beg a question though: how did Pip know Hizell was going to attack them tonight? Was he nearby, saw what was going down and make a quick call (in which case, damn you fast Chaz!)? Hmm, think I'll stick with the former one. Another question: given what we know about Pip why would he make the call? One reason I can think of: maybe he doesn't want Jy to make the weapon and thus he's trying to prevent him from gaining the motivation to do it? He may be stuck in this powerless form now but that doesn't mean he may want the playing field leveled between dragons and..... lesser species. Of course the opposite could be true too, it's certainly plausible that he harbors a grudge against his kind (even a weaker inferior version compared to what he once was) and wouldn't mind seeing a number of them wiped out were things more equal on this world. Jyras living while Abel getting stomped out certainly provides Jy with the motivation!

Feb 29, 2012
Its been a long time and I don't remember. But why are dragons dangerous again? And why are magicless weapons a big deal? If anything shouldn't the lack of magic make them weaker?

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Its been a long time and I don't remember. But why are dragons dangerous again? And why are magicless weapons a big deal? If anything shouldn't the lack of magic make them weaker?
IIRC magicless weapons can theoretically bypass magic, ignore it as if it's not really there. This could actually make a weapon made out of nonmagic materials quite dangerous to creatures who normally wouldn't view a physical attack as anything worth worrying about. They'll keep thinking something like "eh, my force shield will block that" right up to the point where it doesn't which could be a fatal mistake.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Towards the former, the Demo 101 page implies that they tend to be jerks, but what Zezzuva said ended up being far more damning, as she accused them of being responsible for the disappearance of humans, the decline of the angels and the current anti-cubi efforts; "weeding out the races they feel are unfit or a threat to their status quo", as she put it.

Towards the latter: See here and here

Feb 29, 2012
So dragons in this world are like nazis?
Also by that regard wouldn't that thought process eventually lead to the extinction of their own race as the kill off all their food sources?

Tapewolf

Someone who records sounds on strips of rust
Oct 23, 2013
They're magic-resistant, and that means that they can penetrate otherwise impenetrable hides. A few rounds of anti-magic bullets into Hizell's face would probably see him off. It is also known that the vampire race was wiped out by the dragons, while that's painted as an accident in-comic, that might be plausible deniability given the wider circumstances.

Again, I think Abel getting stomped does more harm than good to Biggs and Destania's plans. It would definitely provide Jyrras with a revenge motive, but revenge is best served cold. I can easily see Jyrras going full supervillain and spending the next 5-10 years plotting to guarantee Hizell's death... Biggs and Destania want the weapon NOW, and the only way to ensure his haste is if he has something to protect.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
So dragons in this world are like nazis?
Also by that regard wouldn't that thought process eventually lead to the extinction of their own race as the kill off all their food sources?
Eh, plenty of non-sentient, non-threatening species out there (domesticated farm animals). Might be a bit annoying to have to raise and care for the critters on their own but I'm sure the dragons would get over it eventually considering how long they live. If dragons are omnivorous also then why do they need the other races around?

Feb 29, 2012
Eh, plenty of non-sentient, non-threatening species out there (domesticated farm animals). Might be a bit annoying to have to raise and care for the critters on their own but I'm sure the dragons would get over it eventually considering how long they live. If dragons are omnivorous also then why do they need the other races around?
Which would all go extinct due to a dragons average food intake. In many fantasy settings dragons can go up to a month without a meal, a built in defense of sorts as daily meals would destroy farmlands and the like to the point where they would be actively hunted. Without that buffer they would eat far more than the world can produce as a collective whole.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Once again, sometimes it pays to go back and read through the archives, #1703 this time to be exact. Hizell was spying on their plans to go clubbing and so was likely just watching and waiting for a good ambush opportunity on this night. Abel's choice to visit his mom's grave in the middle of the night provided Hizell with just such an opportunity. Dark, remote, and very unlikely to have other folks show up right now, it was a golden opportunity that Hizell just couldn't pass up. So we know why he likely chose now to strike we just need to figure out how Pip knew. Was he still near the graveyard when he made the call (fast Chazore assumption)? Is Pip, despite his current form, still sensitive to other dragons using their powers on/near his location? If so he would have noticed Hizell (even if he didn't know it was Hizell at first) spying on the inn.

Wait, remembering something. Pip and Mab had an argument shortly after the attack on the inn. Mab called what Pip did unfair because outside the fairy realm Mab loses her omniscience. Pip countered that it was unfair that he is stuck in this small powerless form. We've seen pretty big hints recently that Pip was one of those BIG dragons that could go toe to toe with a fae and he's likely now in his current form because he crossed his god essentially. While Pip may be small and weak now was his mind similarly reduced? If it wasn't, then he likely knew in advance this was going to happen or knew just as soon as Hizell decided to act and made the call then.

Ironfoot

Prime Minister of Fun!
Jul 7, 2010
ironfootkb.deviantart.com
Once again, sometimes it pays to go back and read through the archives, #1703 this time to be exact. Hizell was spying on their plans to go clubbing and so was likely just watching and waiting for a good ambush opportunity on this night. Abel's choice to visit his mom's grave in the middle of the night provided Hizell with just such an opportunity. Dark, remote, and very unlikely to have other folks show up right now, it was a golden opportunity that Hizell just couldn't pass up. So we know why he likely chose now to strike we just need to figure out how Pip knew. Was he still near the graveyard when he made the call (fast Chazore assumption)? Is Pip, despite his current form, still sensitive to other dragons using their powers on/near his location? If so he would have noticed Hizell (even if he didn't know it was Hizell at first) spying on the inn.

Wait, remembering something. Pip and Mab had an argument shortly after the attack on the inn. Mab called what Pip did unfair because outside the fairy realm Mab loses her omniscience. Pip countered that it was unfair that he is stuck in this small powerless form. We've seen pretty big hints recently that Pip was one of those BIG dragons that could go toe to toe with a fae and he's likely now in his current form because he crossed his god essentially. While Pip may be small and weak now was his mind similarly reduced? If it wasn't, then he likely knew in advance this was going to happen or knew just as soon as Hizell decided to act and made the call then.
My thought was that pip has full mental faculties but no power where as mab is the opposite.

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Which would all go extinct due to a dragons average food intake. In many fantasy settings dragons can go up to a month without a meal, a built in defense of sorts as daily meals would destroy farmlands and the like to the point where they would be actively hunted. Without that buffer they would eat far more than the world can produce as a collective whole.
The behavior you're describing is more akin to that of ravenous beasts rather than the rational intelligent creatures that the dragons are in DMFA. Take a look a Pyroduck for example. True he's still a very young dragon but if he were such a hungry fellow as you've described dragons in other works he would likely be eating Alexsi out of house and home, a bone of contention we likely would have seen raised by this point. Pyro seems to stay Being sized most of the time while only occasionally going full dragon sized. Maybe when he's Being sized his appetite stays at a similar level? If that's the case then it's a rather simple solution for the dragons of Furrae to take. Another example to look at in the DMFA universe are the Cubi, especially those at SAIA. The cubi staying there can sustain themselves off of all the emotions swirling around the place. They can eat food but usually don't, reserving it more for something that they want to do, not need to do. Why is that important? It shows that some species in DMFA can survive off of other sources of nourishment other than what we usually view as food. The dragon that Cyra offed and gained her triwing status from as a result: devouring the souls of the departed who had lived in his city. It could simply be that these dragons don't need to consume massive amounts of food to sustain themselves.

and since he posted while I was typing that up:

My thought was that pip has full mental faculties but no power where as mab is the opposite.
That's probably true and if he was one of those dragons that Mab described to Pyroduck then it's pretty reasonable to surmise that most of those dragons are quite intelligent in order to carry out their god's will. If Pip still has his full mental capacity then things like his recent chess match with Pyroduck are just part of his act, a way to maintain his cover during his game with Mab.

Honestly though this evening I find myself favoring Pip was just close by when Hizell showed up and the fast Chazor explanation. Mainly because we know teleportation magic (in various forms) exists in DMFA and someone in her line of work would likely have access to it in case of emergency. Jyras facing imminent extermination would certainly count as an emergency! That scene at the end between Mab and Pip could have just taken place a while after Pip made the call unless the Zinvth graveyard happens to be not too far away from Lost Lake.

Feb 29, 2012
The behavior you're describing is more akin to that of ravenous beasts rather than the rational intelligent creatures that the dragons are in DMFA.
I believe the human species is a good example of "rational intelligent creatures" that still behave like ravenous beasts.